Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A fine kettle I've gotten myself into...

griffer

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz mentioned putting the kettle on in another thread.

That and my recent cold reminded me how much I HATE my kettle.

Three observations about my kettle:
-It doesn't whistle.
-The handle, despite apparent insulation, gets really hot.
-It is impossible to pour with the steam washing back directly over your hand, specifically the finger holding the spout open.

My wife and I spent an inordinate amount of time looking before we settled on this one. None of the issues were apparent when we bought it.

It seems like the kettles available in America are some kind of stove decoration and not intended to be used. Some of the designs are just patently non-functional, others are barely so.

Can anyone recommend some classic designs still available? I just want a kettle to whistle and not burn my hand.

Kinda a long shot, but what the heck....

griffer

Practically Family
Top five answers

1. I don't, I give it to my man to send out.
  2. I buy a new hat.
  3. Heck if I know, my wife takes care of it.
  4. Mist with water, bash, throw in the back of my black car in the summer, cross fingers.
  5. Fat sweaty head and a hair dryer.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Go electric!

While stationed in the UK I found that just about every home I visited had an electric kettle. When I first came back stateside they were hard to find, but are plentiful now. A Google search will find them! :p

http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/601-2601972-9707360?node=13385431&AFID=google&LNM=kettle_electric&LID=1152948&ref=tgt_adv_XSGT0463 This link is to a selection at Target.

I don't think I own a regular kettle any more. Of course, my electric kettle doesn't whistle--a bell goes "ding" when it reaches boiling and it shuts itself off.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tom

griffer

Practically Family
Lizziemaine, Revere- very pretty, does the handle stay cool? easy to pour out?

Tango Yankee, Electrics- interesting, not very pretty, but very utlititarian, do you personally recommend a brand?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yep, the handle is a thick, dense plastic, and I've not had any problems with pouring it or getting backlash from the steam. Considering I'm pouring from it before I'm awake in the morning, and am not always very aware of what i'm doing, this is a very worthwhile feature.

griffer

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
...am not always very aware of what i'm doing, this is a very worthwhile feature.

i wish all my apppliances worked with this aspect of my being as well....

looks like revere is pulling out in front....

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Griffer,

Here (NZ), Aussie, the UK, Ireland - all the big tea drinking countries, kettles are essential to put a brew on and electric kettles would probably be the most popular now. And nowadays you can pick up everything from very retro looking electric kettles to ultra modern.

They are a piece of cake to use, although saying that, plonking an old whistler on a gas hob isn't exactly taxing either.

HTH a little.

Smithy.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Im in the same boat, Griffer

I use my kettle nearly every day. It was a great outlet find, porcelain covered kettle with a metal handle for $40! Just what I wanted, and its RED! :D

kettle.jpg

But as you can see, a bit of the porcelin coating chipped off right at the base of the handle a few months ago :( Also I have to make sure the cap is down tight, or I wont get a whistle. :rage: I havent been looking yet, but I may soon. SO this thread is great.

Id check special cookwear shops. They tend to have great kettles. Thats where I found this one and i do so love it but...

LD

Haversack

One Too Many
I had a Revereware copper-bottomed kettle for years. It boiled quickly, whistled loudly, the handle stayed cool, and the steam did not par-boil my hand when pouring. However, after many years use, the tinning inside the kettle on the copper bottom eroded. I ended up with low grade copper poisoning without knowing it until through a process of elimination, I determined the cause of my morning gastric upset. Switching to an all stainless steel kettle solved the problem overnight. I would have kept the Revereware kettle if I could have had it retinned. Unfortunately, its design didn't make this possible. On the other hand, I've gained an increased sense of taste when it comes to copper or one of its alloys from this.

Haversack.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
griffer said:
Tango Yankee, Electrics- interesting, not very pretty, but very utlititarian, do you personally recommend a brand?

Well, I've got a Philips brand one that gets a lot of use. Another big advantage for me is the auto-shut-off feature. I'm kind of like the line from the song "Uncle Albert," i.e. "the kettle's on the boil and we're so easily called away."

Cheers,
Tom

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Definitely Revereware

LizzieMaine said:
You want a Revereware copper-bottom kettle --http://www.revereware.com/index.asp?pageId=97&pid=352

I've been using my current one for eighteen years now, and it's still as good as new. And the whistle's good and loud.

I, too, have been partial to Revereware kettles for many years. The model I currently use includes a button on the handle to lift the spout cover and latch it into place. That prevents steam burns while pouring.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
When I went kettle shopping for my girlfriend last Christmas, the best model I was able to find was the Chantal classic design. It doesn't whistle (it has a harmonica instead of a whistle) but, the handle stays cool (and if for some reason it doesn't, hers came with a slip-on handguard) and the spout will stay in the open position.

My own kettle is a B&D electric (unfortunately discontinued), and I haven't seen anything recently that I liked: too many moving parts and overpriced.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Revereware kettles are what my grandmother had and what I like. Not a pretty color is the only downside for me; but they're quite classic and functional.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24