Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Lot o' Mottos: What are your words to live by?

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
warbird said:
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Words to live and drink by.

Heh, heh! You reminded me of this:

"They say God created whiskey to keep the Irish from taking over the world." - Kinky Friedman

Lee

be_lovely

One of the Regulars
Words to live by

"Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm, as you get older, remember you have another hand: The first is to help yourself, the second is to help others."

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
Words to live by come just in the nick of time sometimes ..

I was trying to disappear, hide away, run from the world just after I lost my mother. I bought a tent and a map. Inside the folds of the map was this handwritten note:

"When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take a step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things will happen: There will be something solid for us to stand on, or we will be taught to fly."

I've kept that scrap of paper with me ever since. Next to a very good fortune cookie fortune. :D

Shearer

Practically Family
Philosophy from a child of the 80s:

Life is like Tetris: Things pile up, things fall down... and sometimes you create big holes right in the middle of the game. :D

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
One my mother gave me, a small redhaired boy who was afraid of getting beat up in junior high, "Don't waste your entire life being afraid of something that'll only last five minutes."

I use this advice in all aspects of my life.

Lee

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
be_lovely said:
"Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm, as you get older, remember you have another hand: The first is to help yourself, the second is to help others."

"Most people come from the creator equipped with 2 hands. One to reach out to the fallen, the other to hold the club should he come up with a knife."

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Someday, this will be tattooed on my forearms in its ancient Chinese form:

Understanding others is knowledge
Understanding oneself is enlightenment
Conquering others is power
Conquering oneself is strength

-- Tao Te Ching

"It is what it is" also is something that I tell myself a lot. It really helps me step back to look at the situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR