Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A new photo of the day.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I saw this and I had to share. Just a sweet photo of a young couple at the fair in 1939.

You can see the young man has a belted back coat and a box camera in hand. Photos like these are what make the golden era seem so appealing I think.

I didn't post this in suits because it is more then about suits. It's about the golden era!

Enjoy,

Root.

8a31708r4jc.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
That goes double for me!

Simple photos like these seem to tell a real story of what it was like. I love Hollywood movie shots and such but photos like this truly illustrates what you would see around a fair or most places in the US at that time.

There will be another photo tomorrow!

Root.

RhodoraM21

New in Town
Aww.. it makes you just wish you were there to enjoy those good old days of yester year.One thing i love is when pictures like these were taken it was natural no lights or fake smiles it was just snap and there you have a dandy picture.I have always day dream of being in the world fair, boy that would have been a trip to memory lane.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
What about the 1939 World Expo

There is a wonderful mystique about the 1939 NY World's Fair.
But what about the problems they had? I read the Doc Savage and Spider pulps that chronicled some of the disturbing events that happened at the fair. I shudder just thinking about them.
Now, the 1939 World Exposition on Treasure Island in San Francisco, that was the toniest!

The Wolf

Wild Root

Gone Home
Glad you liked it! So, you remember the days of steam locos? How cool is that! I wish I could say the same. I have always loved the sound and look of a steam loco. Nothing like them on earth!!! Just love the sound of a steam whistle off in the night. WOOOOOOOO WOOooooooooo.

Take me right back to the track Jack!

Root.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
That couple is adorable!
I love how they look relaxed without being completely slumped over like the younger set today.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Glad you liked it! So, you remember the days of steam locos? How cool is that! I wish I could say the same. I have always loved the sound and look of a steam loco. Nothing like them on earth!!! Just love the sound of a steam whistle off in the night. WOOOOOOOO WOOooooooooo.

Take me right back to the track Jack!

Root.

I was fortunate to have the Norfolk and Western in my town, and they didn't retire steam until the early 60's...so yes, I do remember them...as well as the packed snow on the ground and the clear cold that we thought would NEVER end when in the grips of a February winter....and the old steam engines just reinforced that with the escaping steam vapor that seemed to leak from every crack and cranny of the boiler in the cold air.

Just thinking about it made me shiver!
:eek: ;)

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
You've got to watch Wild Root like a hawk. For all WE know, it's really a recent photo he's made, as it sure looks like his back, and his style suit!! :rolleyes: ;) Regards! Michaelson

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hahaha, only if I have an original white belted back suit! That photo is the real deal.

Yes, they're watching a ride at an amusement park. The ride is known as "The Whip". and this is the very ride they're watching.

8a31615r.jpg

Cheers,

Root.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Ah yes, the Whip! I remember them well. I don't think they're around anymore, but they were one of the 'staple' rides at old amusement parks and carvivels in my area for years!! Lots of fun...unless you're on the outside of the seat....then prepared to get crushed!!

Regards! Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran