Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A New To Me Find...

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
That I just have to show off. I'm not 100% sure what it is, it looks to me like a reproduction bomber jacket of some sort: the reason I picked it up.

DSCN4556-1.jpg
DSCN4557.jpg
DSCN4559.jpg

It's a fairly soft leather with (I think) real wool lining. The body of the jacket fits me perfect, but the sleeves are about 4 inches too long, hence the reason they are rolled up. The weight of the jacket is about 5 lbs or a little over. It's also in remarkably good shape for a used jacket. And it's very warm; I couldn't even feel the 7 degrees plus wind while wearing it this evening. The tag says it's made by "Mehmet and Elvis" leather wear of Turkey. I've never heard of this company so if anyone knows anything, please enlighten me.

The kicker is I found it at the thrift store for almost $30. It was definitely an opportune find. It looks kind of awkward on me, but I attribute that to me not being used to wearing a jacket like this before so I'm sure I'll get more used to it and it'll look natural soon enough.

-Allen

Fiver64

Practically Family
the find.........

It looks like a common B-3 civilian-version knock-off but in excellent shape! Still a great find for a steal of a price! Congrats. Thanks for sharing. BTW, the cuffs are generally supposed to be rolled up on a B-3.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edward said:
Really? I've not seen that before. Was it done to keep cuffs out of the way of triggers?

You generally only see them turned up in wartime photos where the sleeves are too long for the guy's arms. Of course they were not intended to be turned up if they fitted correctly in the first place!

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
[The tag says it's made by "Mehmet and Elvis" leather wear of Turkey. I've never heard of this company so if anyone knows anything, please enlighten me.]

I spent several months at Incirlik AB Turkey. Right outside the base gate there were dozens of leather shops. Being a USAF base most sold flight jackets along with their current gq blend. A-2s, B-3s, G-1's. All civilian type but very well made. Not saying it was made around there but....

sixties.nut

Elvis, hmm ?

Funny you should mention Turkey, Phantom !! Would I have been able to get the P45 last month. I was told more than likely it would need to be sent to Turkey for 'adjustments'. This from a guy also in the know about this stuff.

You wouldn't have a hook would you ?;) ;)

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
Most of the photos I've seen have had the sleeves rolled up also. The tag does read: "incirlik-adana-turkey"... it didn't quite make sense to me when I read it the first time because there is some stitching going through the words.

Even if it is a knockoff (I didn't expect it to be a 'real deal') it seems to be well made and I have to say I am pleased with it so far.

-Allen

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Adana would be it. We called it the "alley" but more like a small town main street. Full of store fronts and bars etc. Saw a camel there too. But very nice goatskin and sheepskin. Goat is readily available locally very cheap. A goatskin A-2 was 95.00 US tailored. Boys this was 2001 so not toooo long ago. A sheepskin bomber was 150.00 US. You will be very happy with your B-3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy