Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A query for the suit experts

havershaw

Practically Family
OK, I just bought another vintage suit. You can see it below.

Has anyone ever seen a low-cut vest like this one? I haven't, and I couldn't find one like it in any of my catalogs. The lady selling it to me says it's dated inside and the yellowish patina on the interior lining of the pants is consistent with clothes of that era.

I just wanted some folks' thoughts on this suit (and that's not me...obviously):

havershaw

Practically Family
Well, I figure I can always wear it without the vest and have a fine-looking single-breasted suit.

I'm not 100% sure I'm down with the bow tie...so I'm hoping it buttons high enough that wearing a regular tie will be OK.

havershaw

Practically Family
Originally posted by jamespowers
Don't take this the wrong way but why do I keep hearing the Love Boat theme song when I see that suit?

All right, now you're all making me nervous.

Nope, it's not me in those photos. I haven't even paid for the suit yet...just made an agreement to buy it.

I think without the vest, it should look like a proper 30s suit...

...right?!?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
You're right. Without the vest, it looks 30's. With the vest, it looks like you're on your way to a state dinner with Charo.

havershaw

Practically Family
The seller assured me it was an original 30s suit, if not older, she said. I guess we'll see when it gets here.

...ha ha ha. Charo.

I think it is the bow tie that is throwing me off. If I mentally remove it and replace it with a tie then it makes more sense to me even with the vest. I think it will be great with a tie and the whole suit together.
The bow tie is just so big and it reminds me of Isaac and gives me a craving for an Old Fashioned. LOL LOL

Regards to all,

J

LOL LOL LOL LOL
You're killing me! LOL LOL
Isaac: What will you have?
Me: An Old Fashioned hold the Garbage.
Isaac: Hold the garbage? Something must be bothering you. What is it?
Me: Well Isaac, it is just that bowtie and the ruffled shirt. Do they really make you wear that on the Love Boat or do you just like to wear it?
Isaac: Its the seventies baby! Anything goes!
Me: Must wake up from this bad dream. The seventies ended and will never come back--thank God! AHHHHHH. :eek:

Regards to all,

J

havershaw

Practically Family
um...maybe a photo shop guy should go to town on that thing and put a real tie in there...

if I'm lucky, the suit's got bellbottoms, too...

This guy who's modeling the suit was once one of Boz Scaggs' backup musicians, so maybe that has something to do with it too.

zeus36

A-List Customer
I have one of those vests with lapels, but it's not vintage. Mine was made by WAH Maker of Arizona as a reproduction of an old west museum article of clothing.
Like someone said around the 1800's (more like mid-1800's)

It's a tough piece to wear unless you have the ruffled shirt and string tie. Maybe a tuxedo shirt ?

havershaw

Practically Family
Eh.

The vest is probably just going to not get worn.

I do have some good news, though...

...the bow tie is going to be included.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Havershaw, that suit is more rare then you will ever know! It looks to me a true vintage suit! You will make this work for you more then the man pictured in it. You see, it's the tie man! That's what makes it look so, so... Love Boat!

They had vests like that then! Not very common to find today! I have seen some photos of men in suits like that and they were worn by early Jazz men. They had a style all their own. That suit had to be tailored for a man that was a flashy dresser! Do wear the vest! You know how to dress that up right. A bow tie will look nice with that suit! Well, the right one! A nice light colored fedora and a good tie will make that suit look like a million! Any way, you do keep your coat buttoned up most of the time.

Trust me on this one! I know my stuff.;)

Root.

PS. This might help you see it the way I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot