Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A question about the panama hat...

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
I address this question to those "in the know" about Montecristi and Cuenca crafted hats. I think I pretty much got the informative side of those wonderful hats covered, the meaning of weaves per inch, the desire that the weaves be as consistently "regular" as possible, etc.

Sometimes, I have noticed, there appear to be hats where the weave is such that regular, parallel, "diagonal" lines are visible, as if (I know that's not the case, though!), as if there would be parallel fine threads woven through the hat crown or brim. I feel this makes for a "machine made like" look.

What is, I ask, your attitude towards this phenomenon? Is it indicative of some quality (or lack of it) criterion? Do top class panama hats have this visible element, or is it limited to lower qualities only?

I will make no secret that, personally, I don't like it at all. I like the weave to be visibly "artisanal", hand-made, and (e$pecially at my level, I must clarify...) I like this "hand made" quality to be plainly visible, (minor) "imperfections" included.

Thanks for your clarifying me on this point!

Paul

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I think I know what you are talking about, but it would be helpful if you would post a picture (or two).

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I address this question to those "in the know" about Montecristi and Cuenca crafted hats. I think I pretty much got the informative side of those wonderful hats covered, the meaning of weaves per inch, the desire that the weaves be as consistently "regular" as possible, etc.

Sometimes, I have noticed, there appear to be hats where the weave is such that regular, parallel, "diagonal" lines are visible, as if (I know that's not the case, though!), as if there would be parallel fine threads woven through the hat crown or brim. I feel this makes for a "machine made like" look.

What is, I ask, your attitude towards this phenomenon? Is it indicative of some quality (or lack of it) criterion? Do top class panama hats have this visible element, or is it limited to lower qualities only?

I will make no secret that, personally, I don't like it at all. I like the weave to be visibly "artisanal", hand-made, and (e$pecially at my level, I must clarify...) I like this "hand made" quality to be plainly visible, (minor) "imperfections" included.

Thanks for your clarifying me on this point!

Paul

The aim of most of the weavers is to produce as "perfect" a weave as they can so that it will be graded higher and hence they will get paid MORE for each hat. As each grade goes up in ranking the hat's appearance is expected tobecome more uniform and hence "perfect". This extends all the way to the brim with its edge being round and the backwoven edge as close to "perfect" and even as the best can make it.
I think you were speaking about the "lines" which appear in the herringbone weave of a Montecristi or a Llano weave Cuenca such as on this 480 WPI Medio Fino Montecristi from PB:

02810026.jpg

as opposed to this lower grade Brisa weave Cuenca sale hat from PB?

1-30-11009.jpg

If this is more the look and "feel" you prefer then I would not buy ANY high grade Montecristi's or Llano weave Cuenca's, just stay with the lower grade Brisa weave Cuenca's. Every one to their feelings, me I'll keep trying to get higher grade Montecristi's as I can :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner