Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A 'Thin' Holiday Season

Kitty55

New in Town
Hi, all -

This year's holiday season will be quite thin financially for us, so I'm thinking I may turn to making things for people for gifts. I thought I may ask some of you girls here what you have done/would do in a similar situation...knowing times were tough during the war(s), women always worked to make things better, even/especially around the holidays. So I'm looking for suggestions.

While I am 'crafty,' I can't sew. :( My skill is cooking, but I know a lot of stuff doesn't keep, and I don't want my gifts spoiling or going stale before my family and friends can enjoy them. Add to that, I am FAR in the red at this point; I htink I may go above the red by about $13 in the next couple weeks (woo-hoo)...so it needs to be inexpensive and fun and hopefully darling, lol

Little help?

Catalina

New in Town
candles

A while back i found a candle-making kit that came with different color sheets of honeycomb beeswax, and i made a couple of christmas presents from it.
They're very easy to make, you just roll up the sheets around a wick, and then get creative cutting out designs, like holly leaves, and stick them on the candle. The kit also came with little charms that you could roll into the wax, so they would appear when the wax melted.
What i did was wrap up a pair with a piece of ribbon, and make a little tag or card to tie onto them with some kind of poem about the "surprise" inside. You could look online for kits, or you should be able to find the supplies at a craft store.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Ooh I love being artsy craftsy... so nice as holiday gifts! I have given scarves I've made, painted boxes with silk flowers (gotta love the glue gun!) and cookies... this year I am doing the watercolor paints and decupage! I would love to make candles, hmm....

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I suggest toffee...or something that doesn't go bad quite as quickly.

Buy the ingredients in bulk (cheaper) and go on a cooking spree...

This is pretty much my plan...as I just moved and I have pretty much zero money for stuff either.

Denise

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Oh Denise you could give presents made of random stuff left over from packing! Hangers, tape, boxes, dustbunnies...

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
I don't know if you know how to make soap, but it doesn't cost much and one batch makes quite a few bars. You just need some lye, which you get at the grocery store where the draino is, water, oil (like olive) and some essential oil to scent it. You can add chamomile buds or oatmeal for their softening qualities. Essential oils are expensive ($10?) but you can buy just one - like lavender- and you only need a few drops per batch. It takes a week or so to harden.
You can wrap them in pretty tissue paper and ribbon.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I find that quilt pot holders are a real nice thing to make, practice quilting, and a great way to get rid of fabric scraps :D

LD

BombshellBetty

New in Town
Cookie mixes

I did cookie mix one year in vintage quart canning jars I found at the thrift store. Just layer the ingredients in the jar. You can buy new lids and seals fairly cheap at the grocery store. Oatmeal cookie mix is reasonable,classic and everyone loves the jars! Tie a ribbon around the mouth with a cute recipe card. No baking, mess, and it fits the classic lifestyle!;)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Last year I made all my girl friends little corsage brooches made from thin wire and felt. I chose colours to suit each person individually as little bits of felt don't cost much and the local craft shop had jewellery wire. Then I also got little fake stamins for the middle of each flower. I made all different shapes too, some round, some square and another like a carnation. I covered the stem first then made the flower head and sewed them together with a brooch pin sewn on the back, about three flowers on each.
It did take a while for each one but they came out really cute. I mixed up colours so one had navy stems and red, grey and mid blue flowers. I think that ended up looking better than if I had tried to make it more realistic, although I did do some with green stems too.
Now I have to make one for my boyfriend's Mum as she thought it was so sweet! :)

GOK

One Too Many
DancingSweetie said:
I don't know if you know how to make soap, but it doesn't cost much and one batch makes quite a few bars. You just need some lye, which you get at the grocery store where the draino is, water, oil (like olive) and some essential oil to scent it. You can add chamomile buds or oatmeal for their softening qualities. Essential oils are expensive ($10?) but you can buy just one - like lavender- and you only need a few drops per batch. It takes a week or so to harden.
You can wrap them in pretty tissue paper and ribbon.

Ummmm, you do know that if you use the cold pressed method, the soap has to cure for a month? If you use it before then, you will get lye burns. The best way to test for cure is to take a little bit and hold it about 1cm from your tongue. If you can feel it tingling, it's still caustic.

If anyone is interested in soap making, PM me and I'll send you detailed instructions and formulae. I really cannot stress enough the safety aspect though - lye is dangerous stuff, treat it with respect.

Bath bombs are really easy to make and can be used straight away. Here's a quick formula:

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup citric acid (do not substitute ascorbic acid)
1/2 cup corn starch
Optional:
1/3 cup Epsom salts or coarse sea salt

Wet Ingredients:
2 1/2 T. sunflower or other light oil (I use sweet almond oil, available at chemists or health food stores)
3/4 T. water (you can use rosewater or any other floral water)
1/4 teaspoon / up to 1 teaspoon of desired essential oils or fragrance oils
Vegetable or other natural colourant (optional) - liquid food colouring works well

Sieve the first three dry ingredients together until you get a smooth blend. Try not to breathe in too much of this as you sieve. If using, add the sea salts or Epsom salts after sieving. Adding Epsom salts adds a bit of shine to the bomb and also seems to make the fizzing action more vigorous. It also seems to shorten the drying time required. If you want to add coarse sea salts, I recommend breaking it up a bit with a mortar and pestle or in a blender. The grains should be no larger than those of Epsom salts. Set aside dry ingredients while you prepare the wet.

Do not substitute ascorbic acid for the citric acid as it tends to turn yellow with exposure to air, which gives your bombs a freckled appearance.

Measure and combine all the wet ingredients and borax in a small clean jar. Cover tightly and shake vigorously.

Slowly and carefully drizzle the wet ingredients into the dry, stirring constantly with your other hand to prevent the reaction from starting. Make sure you mix in all of the wet ingredients. This mixture is VERY dry and crumbly and has to be packed in the moulds quite firmly to keep shape. If you add any other ingredients (such as herbs, Epsom salts or dried flowers) you may need to add a tiny bit more almond oil, but be careful not to add too much oil as this makes the bombs soggy and may start the reaction (not to mention making a mess of your bath).

The mixture should just start to hold together when pressed in your hand, like very slightly moist fine sand pressed together will hold its shape. Make sure it is well mixed and try to work quickly so that it doesn't dry out too much before you mould it.

This recipe makes about 4-60 mm round bombs. I use the clear plastic two-part Christmas ornament balls; you can also get an 80 mm ball (coincidentally these are the same sizes as the Lush bombs). I find the 60 mm bombs are all you need for a nice bath. Do not oil the moulds beforehand when using these plastic moulds, but make sure they are clean and dry.

Pack each side of the mould quickly, then throw some loose mixture on top and squish the halves together HARD (the mould needn't fit together completely; in fact it shouldn't, because then it is harder to get them apart).

DON'T twist the two halves; just PUSH them straight together and smooth off any excess around the crease with your fingers.

You can unmould the bombs after a very few minutes onto a baking sheet. Tap the moulded bomb gently once or twice against your work surface. Unmould one side at a time, taking the top half of the mould off first. Then turn the ball over and remove the other side. Avoid the temptation to *twist* the top of the mould, as this can easily split the bomb.

If the bomb splits or crumbles, empty out the mould completely, crumbling the mixture back into your work bowl, and start again. If the bombs crumble and won't keep shape, add a tiny bit more oil (1/4 tsp or less). I usually manage to get three of the four done fine and then have trouble with the last as the mixture is already beginning to dry out a bit. If you have leftover mix you can either gather it in a jar or plastic spice bag, or put it in a smaller mould (I use half of a Christmas heart mould). The mixture shows detail very well; I have heard of people making smaller bombs by pressing them into candy moulds.
Sometimes the bombs crack a little around the seam after a day or so; just gently rub the crack with your (dry) fingers to smooth it. If you have a bomb split after drying you can still use it at home.

I usually let all of my bombs dry at least a week, although they should be ready to use after a couple of days. I have heard it suggested that one could speed up this process by baking the bombs for 2-3 hours at very low heat (no higher than 200 degrees F) but I haven't found this necessary myself and I imagine this would make the whole house smell of them for days, which may not be your preference! However if you live in a humid location you may need to try this.

I have huge amounts of recipes and formlae, so if anyone wants any illustrated factsheets, PM me with your email addy, tellimg me what you want and I'll send some over.

I have info for:

bath melts
bath salts
bombs
bubble bath
deodorant
dusting powder
hair care
hand care
household
lip balm
lotions and creams
scrubs
soaps
teas & botanicals

I've been making toiletries as a hobby for around 16 years!
massage bars

Kim_B

Practically Family
GOK - those sound like fun gifts to make! I've always wanted to try, but have been intimidated! Are they relatively easy?

I'm making up some Chai Tea Mix and packaging it in little jars, and completing the gift with a measuring spoon and mug. I've not tried it yet, but the reviews are all pretty good and there is a lot of room for experimentation regarding flavoring, etc.

You could also do the jar mixes - cookies, breads/muffins, etc. Those are always a tasty gift!

I've also made some of these Southwest Pita Crisps before which are very good. You can adjust the seasonings to whatever you like - more or less spicy or even try other herbs and seasoning.

And there is always the standby of a plate of homemade cookies and other sweet treats such as caramels, toffee, brownies, fudge, etc. I found this on www.allrecipes.com - might have some fun ideas!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
OOO, you gals have some good ideas!

I like to make rice bags. Just get some fabric you like that is microwavable, I use cotton quilt fabric. Cut it to size you want, a square or rectangle pillow shape. Fill with rice, (not instant) and sew shut. Don't fill too full, you want the rice to be able to "mold" to the body, such as around the neck, ect. I pop mine in the micro for about 3 min. and it feels so good if you have a headache, or just cold.. to warm up the bed, put on your feet, whatever!

Here's one of my favorite ornie crafts,
http://www.make-stuff.com/projects/quiltball.html
If I remember right I had one more row of fabric on mine. You can find retro prints and trim with whatever you like.

The shrinky dink plastic paper for your pc printer is fun too. You could make all kinds of stuff with that, jewelry, ornies, ect. You can find in on ebay or some office supply stores. Spray them with clear coat.

We are cutting way back on xmas this year too. We're giving homemade food items in baskets my husband will make out of wood taken from remodling our home. Our house turns 100 next year and I'm going to make a little plaque to go on the baskets, perhaps with the shrinky dinks.

Nikki

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Jam

I made tons of jam over the summer and will be handing it out with abandon. It really seems a far more intimidating process than it actually is in fact to do and some recipes are easier than others. I have a recipe for apple pie jam that is very tasty and easy to do. Plus apples are still readily available. I always feel very domestic making jam!

For gift giving, I take a bit of calico, pink the edges and tie it over the lid with a bit of ribbon. I have a bunch of nice little ornaments I picked up in bulk, so I may string one of those on the ribbon as well. No other wrap necessary!

Honey Doll

CherryBombRock

Familiar Face
Wow - I love all these ideas! I've been agonising about what to do this year for presents. I always try and make presents but as my family are quite straight laced (definately not into vintage or kooky things!) I've been at a loss this year.

Last year I did photographs (just pretty pictures really) and the year before clutch bags (the one I did for my sister I found a year later stuffed in the bottom of her wardrobe with the tags still on!). I love the idea of brooches Miss Sis - they sound beautiful, I may have to have a go at that tonight!

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Kitty55, I am also going to have a thin little holiday and I'm also going to make things for gifts. A couple years back I made everyone hot cocoa mix and put it in cute jars I found at the craft store. I think I'm going to use this method again this year and just back a little basket with the mix, a bag of marshmallows and some big cups I found at the dollar store. There are endless possibilities to the cocoa gift basket. When I find the recipe I used before I'll post it.

Of course, the hanger idea sounds good as well. Along with a card that reads "Next year's gift will be the shirt that matches this hanger" lol

Kitty55

New in Town
Oh, MY!!

WOW!!! you all have some wonderful ideas!! I completely forgot about the Ball (canning) jars I have stashed away on top of my fridge! They can hold mixes, bath salts, all kinds of things!!

I can't tell you all how thankful I am for your suggestions. This is a great group of people here. I'm misty!! ;)

Thanks!! And keep 'em coming

Kitty

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'm a big fan of salt and sugar scrubs. I love to use them and give them. They are popular, inexpensive, and easy to make. Just pick up some cute jars or containers at the dollar store and fill them.

This is a pretty typical recipe:

3 cups epsom salt
1 cup almond oil, canola, or olive oil
Essential oils for fragrance

Here's an assortment of scrub recipes I found:

http://www.bellecitysoapworks.com/scrubs_etc.html

A couple of other ideas:

http://www.do-it-yourself-weddings.com/homemade-bath-scrub.html

http://www.deepfriedkudzu.com/2006/08/homemade-brown-sugar-scrub.html

http://www.spaindex.com/HomeSpa/grapefruitsugarscrub.htm

Forum statistics

Threads