Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AAF patch

Cougar-NRW

New in Town
Hi@ll,

I just received my A-2 (goatskin) jacket from US-Authentic and I'm very pleased with it!!!
Now I'd like to add Army Air Forces (AAF) patch, which is normally sewed on the sleeve. My question concerning this patch is, on which side of the sleeve is this patch normally attached. If seen photos, where it is placed on the right side and there also photos where it is on the left.
Which side is accurate?

THANKS!
cheers from germany
Cris

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Cougar-NRW said:
Hi@ll,

I just received my A-2 (goatskin) jacket from US-Authentic and I'm very pleased with it!!!
Now I'd like to add Army Air Forces (AAF) patch, which is normally sewed on the sleeve. My question concerning this patch is, on which side of the sleeve is this patch normally attached. If seen photos, where it is placed on the right side and there also photos where it is on the left.
Which side is accurate?

THANKS!
cheers from germany
Cris

Hi Cris,

I think you may be describing the USAAF roundel. If so, it was a transfer (decal) applied to the left shoulders of flight jackets. Cloth, or "patch" roundels were generally not used on leather jackets. They were used on the shoulders of dress tunics.

Quality reproduction roundel transfers may be purchased from Vintage Productions. Here's their site:

http://www.vintageproductions.com/shop/index.php?target=categories&category_id=59

AF

Cougar-NRW

New in Town
Dear Andrew,

thanks for your information!

also thanks to Atticus! and yes I meant the AAF roundel and thank you for the useful link! I just placed an order to get this AAF decal.

cheers
cris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav