Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Abandoned Republic

frussell

One Too Many
Cool stuff. I remember buying almost all the items pictured via the mail order catalog. Some things really were cool. They had some real surplus items for a while. Some old girlfriend has my leather A2-style BR jacket, and my linen duster. Their old stuff was well made, and I still have a few items from the 80s that are good as new. If only I was built like I was in the 80s, they might even fit! Frank

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Cool stuff. I remember buying almost all the items pictured via the mail order catalog. Some things really were cool. They had some real surplus items for a while. Some old girlfriend has my leather A2-style BR jacket, and my linen duster. Their old stuff was well made, and I still have a few items from the 80s that are good as new. If only I was built like I was in the 80s, they might even fit! Frank

Yep, me too. For a while, my closet looked like a BR branch store! I was living in bush Alaska at the time, and found their stuff to be well made and durable to take hunting and bush whacking. Still have a bunch of it, and can still wear most of it. Wife is the only old girlfriend that has any of my stuff.;)

RBH

Bartender
Man what a great site!
Thanks for the link, I used to love the BR catalog.
In fact I had this one for years and may still have it packed away somewhere.

br86d.jpg

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
It's interesting that in the old ads for the leather Army Air Corps Jacket they say first quality cowhide, nylon lining, and side entry pockets just like the original.:confused: In the later (1987) ad they state that side entry pockets are an added feature. I have one of these old Banana Republic A-2s. The only reason I don't wear it much (aside from having many other jackets to wear) is the fake aged "mottled" appearance of the leather. Other than that is is well-made and has a nice fit (not too oversized).

DNO

One Too Many
My one and only Banana Republic item. A safari hat...thrift store find in perfect condition. My size as well.

Banana.png

DNO

One Too Many
You're right RBH...a lucky find indeed. Just checked my notes (I'm an incurable note keeper)...picked it up last May for $4.

Rathdown

Practically Family
I still wear my BR safari hat (purchased new in Orange County California in 1985) and it has held up remarkably well. There were two other stores in the LA area that were proper sportsman's outfitters: Kerr's Sporting Goods, in Beverly Hills, and (yikes, I can't remember its name) one in Burbank that was a huge, two story, log cabin on Victory Boulevard. Located about five minutes from Warner Brothers, Disney and Universal Studios a lot of film and television personalities used to come in for guns, ammo, and all sorts of out door gear.

This says it all. :mad:

"Banana Republic is an American clothing brand founded by Mel and Patricia Ziegler in 1978 as a tropical travel-themed clothing company; it has subsequently transformed into a mainstream luxury clothing retailer." -- Wikipedia

The triumph of dull mediocrity.

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
This says it all. :mad:

"Banana Republic is an American clothing brand founded by Mel and Patricia Ziegler in 1978 as a tropical travel-themed clothing company; it has subsequently transformed into a mainstream luxury clothing retailer." -- Wikipedia

The triumph of dull mediocrity.

Just one on the list

Willis & Geiger
Eddie Bauer
Orvis

. . . . .Filson?

Nice site for RRL -- old and new designs
http://www.lubys-tokyo.com/RRL-Ralph1.html

Last edited:

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, I remember the Polk Street store. Great stuff in there. WWII era sweaters, etc.

Just crap now.

Rather than list the brands of bygone eras, let's list the stores that are great now.
Who are the Banana Republics of today that we should visit before they disappear?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy