Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

About Vintage Fabrics and Tailor Shops...

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"It’s a product of these times,” said Ignacio Yáñez Varo, who spent 49 of his 80 years heading his own tailor shop, which closed its doors a few months ago.
“Everyone now wants to wear what’s new, what’s in fashion,” he said. “No one bothers to go to a tailor shop and take all the time in the world to have a suit made.
“Those times are over. No one wants clothes that will last 20 years, made with good fabrics.
Everything now is disposable, sometimes even the year it was bought.”

What a deplorable situation we've come to. I want clothes that'll last 20 years, made with good fabrics; I still have my first tailored suit made in 1995 and it looks brand new. there are lots of guys here on the FL who want them too. But rest of the world just wants made in China cheap disposable stuff, it seems. :(

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Very Sad news,
I had experienced my self making friends with a couple of gentlemen in Rosarito just south of Tijuana
I had a few leather jackets made by someone i befriended, I knew what days he was at his shop & would show up return 3 days later & fit & pay for a great Tailored Jacket
at a great price but most importantly of high workmanship,,,,He was amazed that i respected & knew what a proper fit was,,,Buisness was so slow for him compared to the first time he made me a jacket over 20 years ago,,,shame to return & see his shop vacant for over 3 years now, as well as the neighbors in the little mall he worked out of....
He would go out of his way & give me one piece backs add a belt back on the one large piece of leather & the way the stitching was done just pretty work...

another old gent stated he retired from Tony Lama had a tiny stall in a Bazar & sold wallets & belts & assorted leather goods had some beautiful cowboy boots.....
He made em all himself.....i bought a few pair & would return & always say hi. He had a Beautiful young wife whom was always with him ....
I return after a year they remember me well & he had noted my size in the past & he showed me some boots that would fit me .....
He made these & held on to them for my return,,,, Fit was just as good as a Paul Bond Boot,,,,,another discussion there, well i still have those fine boots & they were a amazing deal,,,,as well as 3 other pair i had from eairler visits.....he was not there last visit early this year sad as well as many vendors in that Bazar gone sad.....

good honest workmanship at a excellent price gone....... Good memories though & i still have the items due to there high quality & exceptional craftsmanship.....

Well both of these guys got a kick out of me showing up in vintage & asking why i dress this way,,,,,
I just say hey these clothes are old yes not in style yes but folks like you made these & you are very few...so i would like another Jacket from you......................................( sounds so cool in spanish if i could translate it poetry like a Ballad )

also some of the other vendors had leads on old stock shirts like Guyaberas real dead stock of finer linens & cottons or dead stock childrens clothing,,,,always a deal for me & they remember me

some times we would hang out & party with these folks,,,,& treated like old friends

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy