Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Achieving that vintage look, via PhotoShop

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
sbd234 said:
Jeff,
Photshop seems to be the best, unless you like spending time in the darkroom.
Where have you been? We thought you went MIA.
Call the hanger sometime.

Charles
CAF Dixie Wing

Actually, I'm sitting in SW Baghdad for the next 12 months. Not MIA...just far away! Glad I have a computer and can hook up to the Internet and keep in touch with the real world. Charles, recognize the avatar photo?!! Glad to see you on Fedora Lounge. Keep in touch!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Like this - maybe.
Up on contrast. Take alle the colours out. Add a little - just a little sepia - distort the picture with dust and scratches. Automatic sharpness x 2

L1010145.jpg

It's all fake:D

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
4x5 View Camera...

JoeAAF4x5small.jpg

...old, outdated black & white negative film. Divided into 645 sections and rotated to create four separate images on one frame. This is one example. Self-portrait done with long cabel release.

-dixon cannon

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Great shot Dix. Old b/w film is of course the optimal way to do it. But for the rest of us "digital photographers" there is only one way...raid the photoshop. It's fun.

T.J. Godden

New in Town
Gentlemen,

I find that using an other old sepia photograph as a layer, reducing the opacity of it, adds to a good look. Also, watermarks and such add age very quickly.

Yours &c.,

T.J. Godden Esq.

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
Any idea how to get a border around one of the photos? Many of the old photos had neat art deco borders...any clue how to replicate that?

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
thebadmamajama said:
I know I'm quite a dunce when it comes to Photoshop know-how, but I'm an artist and catch on quickly. Tell me, how do you cut figures (say, two people) out of a photo and replace those figures onto another photo (say, a vintage photo)?

Thanks for the help! The photos posted on here so far are magnificent! :eusa_clap

A tip not related to process, but to observation: When inserting one image into another, Watch The Lighting. For indoors, especially with B&w, it's not too critical, as often there are multiple light sources. But if it's an outdoor scene, you have to remember one thing: there is only one sun. (I've seen this happen before - not here in the lounge, though.)

Seems the longer I hang out here in the Fedora Lounge, the more I'm inspired to get back into photography. Hah! I bought a point-and-shoot digital camera on Momeorial Day, and I'm already looking to get an SLR! Or, maybe I should just use the film cameras I already have! :D

Lee

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
MrNewportCustom said:
But if it's an outdoor scene, you have to remember one thing: there is only one sun.

Indeed, but that doesn't mean there is only one direction of light. If you are photographed in direct sunlight near a lightly colored wall light will bounce off the wall and back at you giving the light more than one direction. Then there's the usage of reflector screens in photography that give the same effect but are obviously more controllable. Lastly there are also many who use flashes outside to more control the light, and to lighten up the often harsh light you can get from the sun only.

Only one sun, but definitely plenty of directions of light either way. After you've been photographing, and especially retouching and photo montaging, a while you learn to pick up and emulate light rather convincingly. There is no substitute for a keen eye, nor is there a substitute for working with proper sources. Changing an indoor flash image to blend in with an outdoor background is, to say the least, hell.

SarahJane

New in Town
Photoshop alternative

This is a neat little programme that can be downloaded for free;

http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/bworks.htm

It doesn't give as completely profesional a look as you would achieve with photoshop, and I am not claiming it to be anything flash but just for quick little experiemts it's fun, the sepia and burn functions give some instant ageing.
Here's a couple, I'm afraid I don't have the originals for comparison, but it's such a simple little programme it's very easy to experiment.
I'm not always so dark and moody looking, was going for the femme fatale look on this occasion.

hat-1.jpg

hats.jpg

Jerekson

One Too Many
I think this thread still has some life left in it. I'll try to get some of my newer attempts up here tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner