Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Actor Heath Ledger Is Found Dead

Miss Brill

One Too Many
But Heath didn't flash the paparazzi, or blunder around dazed, or run people over, or get arrested, or drop his baby on her head, or drive with her in his lap, have CPS called, or make sex tapes ( :( ), or do anything that really warranted ridicule. [huh] If he wasn't a target while alive, why bother making him one now?

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
Feel free to consider this a "tussle" or whatever you wish. I just don't see the point in calling his actions stupid. Clearly he was in need of help and unfortunately it seems he did not get it. I think it has little to do with money. Someone could have the best psychiatrists they want and still be depressed, and a drunk could attend as many support groups as they want and still be addicted. The problem is that there is a stigma when it comes to mental health and addictions. Not everyone is comfortable sharing their issues with someone. And if I read correctly, there were no lethal amounts of any one drug in his system. It was a combination of all. If there was a danger, he should have been informed by his physician or pharmacist to not take a particular combination of those 6 drugs. If it was suicide, I would expect to see a large amount of one or two.

When I said he is no longer a "celeb", I was making a point that he should be treated with respect because of his passing.

For all those public figures that take inapporpriate risks--- YES we SHOULD scold their actions, encourage them to go to rehab, or even "publicly humiliate" them in a sense by calling their actions dumb and irresponsible. They have the power to change their ways.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Miss Brill said:
But Heath didn't flash the paparazzi, or blunder around dazed, or run people over, or get arrested, or drop his baby on her head, or drive with her in his lap, have CPS called, or make sex tapes ( :( ), or do anything that really warranted ridicule. [huh] If he wasn't a target while alive, why bother making him one now?

Again, this is an interesting link on that very subject:

http://chud.com/articles/articles/1...ADVOCATE-THE-DIRTY-DOUBLE-STANDARD/Page1.html

And since I pretty much agree with what this author says, and he says it so well, I'll incorporate him into my argument "by reference" (gosh, sounding like a lawyer here).

Let's try a thought experiment. A star of the calibre of Heath Ledger dies in a car accident that is 100% not his fault. A tragedy, but there's nothing really to say about it except that it is a tragedy. We mourn, we move on, we forget. Not so much news potential in this as the media would like.

Take the same accident, but the actor's blood alcohol was three times the legal limit and he was driving 100 miles an hour on an undivided two-lane highway. (I live in Wisconsin, I know about such things.) How many people are going to call those actions stupid and idiotic? How many people are going to question the actor's judgment? Let's put it another way: who isn't going to do so? What excuse is there to make for that actor, no matter how non-tabloidy his life had been up till that point?

What I'm saying is, Heath Ledger's "prescription" drug use is like that second car accident, not like the first.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Of course if your tired of it, you could, to be blunt, just shut up and skip this thread!! As any one who goes to the drs knows, they all take medical history, they all ask you what drugs you are taking, whether they be otc or prescription by another dr. Acccidental overdose is not something unheard of, not something that only occurs by celebrities.

Perhaps though, since a high named person has died by prresciptions that shouldn't have been mixed, something that should have also been caught be pharmisists since so many of them share computer networks now to catch this, there will be a crack down watching drug prescriptions.

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
But he wasn't doing anything that he shouldn't have been. If there was something obviously dangerous about taking all the drugs, then he shouldn't have been given so many prescriptions. He should have been informed if taking them all in a certain period of time could cause death, then maybe he wouldn't have taken them. I think the public can have a false sense of security when they are handed that piece of paper at their physician's. I expect my doctor to understand the risks and then I expect him to inform me of how I need to proceed. Again, if it was suicide, why were there no lethal levels in his system? I think it was purely an accident and we should mourn the situation.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
pretty faythe said:
Of course if your tired of it, you could, to be blunt, just shut up and skip this thread!! As any one who goes to the drs knows, they all take medical history, they all ask you what drugs you are taking, whether they be otc or prescription by another dr. Acccidental overdose is not something unheard of, not something that only occurs by celebrities.

Perhaps though, since a high named person has died by prresciptions that shouldn't have been mixed, something that should have also been caught be pharmisists since so many of them share computer networks now to catch this, there will be a crack down watching drug prescriptions.

+1

I'll quote from the article I linked to above (from a Hollywood insider):

I'm not Heath's doctor; it's possible that he was dealing with so much pain that he needed to be on OxyContin AND Vicodin, although I tend to really, really doubt it. It seems evident that he was on these drugs recreationally...make no mistake - any celeb who ODs on pharms got them in a prescription. They don't buy them on the streets.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I don't think it is a double standard, I just don't think Paris, or Britney, and the rest, are respected, or would be missed, or would have people thinking "what a waste..." They are a waste of space, it wouldn't be a waste of talent, because what do they do? These girls are a dime a dozen--like Anna Nicole Smith, who would not have had the hype surrounding her death had she not birthed a daughter & lost a son over 3 days. It was like the $#!t hit the fan. She was just kerplooey, all over the place, there was no getting away from her & her sorrow, and her death.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Right, from a "Hollywood Insider" we all know how "reliable" those are. lol
And like he says, we have no idea, and obviously you are not tired of the whole thing ;)

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
PolkaDotMeggie said:
But he wasn't doing anything that he shouldn't have been. If there was something obviously dangerous about taking all the drugs, then he shouldn't have been given so many prescriptions. He should have been informed if taking them all in a certain period of time could cause death, then maybe he wouldn't have taken them. I think the public can have a false sense of security when they are handed that piece of paper at their physician's. I expect my doctor to understand the risks and then I expect him to inform me of how I need to proceed. Again, if it was suicide, why were there no lethal levels in his system? I think it was purely an accident and we should mourn the situation.

Not to beat a dead horse, but read the article I linked to. It is highly likely that Ledger got some of the drugs under cover of a`"legitimate" prescription in order to abuse them. This is the commonest thing in the world; JFK, who really was in extreme pain, had his own "Dr. Feelgood" who would "prescribe" him whatever he wanted, and anyone with enough money and power can arrange likewise.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
pretty faythe said:
Right, from a "Hollywood Insider" we all know how "reliable" those are. lol
And like he says, we have no idea, and obviously you are not tired of the whole thing ;)

"Hollywood insider," in the sense of knowing the scene -- knowing what goes on. I have my own sources on the ground in LA who can confirm his general points. :)

I seldom tire of a good debate. I wear my opponents down that way. :)

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
Patrick Murtha said:
+1

I'll quote from the article I linked to above (from a Hollywood insider):

I'm not Heath's doctor; it's possible that he was dealing with so much pain that he needed to be on OxyContin AND Vicodin, although I tend to really, really doubt it. It seems evident that he was on these drugs recreationally...make no mistake - any celeb who ODs on pharms got them in a prescription. They don't buy them on the streets.

Then if they were obtained from a doctor, shouldn't the blame fall on their shoulders for allowing such behavior to continue? If infact celebrities have access to more support/care/rehab/whatever, then shouldn't his doctor have been able to steer him in the direction of help?

My father-in-law is on heavy pain medication- all prescription strength. Morphine, Vicodin, ibuprophin and others. Who's fault would it be if he encountered a lethal interaction? His? Are people going to assume he was an addict too? Or was using it "recreationally"?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PolkaDotMeggie said:

I agree it was probably an accident.

In your above statement lies a problem though. Doctors only know what they have prescribed for you.

If you have been, say, traveling and go to a different doctor and you neglect to tell them what else you are on, then you can't blame them for adverse reactions.

This is a huge problem nowadays, and for just the reason you state, none of the drugs is illegal and "a doctor told me to take it". It gets worse when people are also self-medicating with leftover meds (theirs or others) from previous prescriptions.

It is your responsibility as a patient to inform any medical provider exactly what you are taking and in what amounts, whether "over the counter" or not. Doctors are not psychic, they can only treat you to the extent you keep them informed.

I'm sure some kind of confusion like that is going to be implicated.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
PolkaDotMeggie said:
Then if they were obtained from a doctor, shouldn't the blame fall on their shoulders for allowing such behavior to continue? If infact celebrities have access to more support/care/rehab/whatever, then shouldn't his doctor have been able to steer him in the direction of help?

They have way more access to help; they also have far more power to get what they want. Guess which they use more often?

My father-in-law is on heavy pain medication- all prescription strength. Morphine, Vicodin, ibuprophin and others. Who's fault would it be if he encountered a lethal interaction? His? Are people going to assume he was an addict too? Or was using it "recreationally"?

Now come on. Heath Ledger was a strapping healthy 28 year old. Make real comparisons.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Miss Brill said:
Now they are saying the "death photos" are being shopped around to the highest bidder. Whose business is it what he looks like dead?

Morbid curiosty of the massess, plus what ever will bring in a buck to the greedy.

PolkaDotMeggie

A-List Customer
Patrick Murtha said:
They have way more access to help; they also have far more power to get what they want. Guess which they use more often?

Now come on. Heath Ledger was a strapping healthy 28 year old. Make real comparisons.

Now come on? I think my comparison is dead on. My father-in-law has OCD, clinical depression and insomnia. You're telling me that I am not making a real comparison? You don't think that if his mental health prescribed drugs interacted with the pain medication, people wouldn't wonder if he committed suicide???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points