Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Actor Heath Ledger Is Found Dead

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Donato said:
Where did you read about this? I'd like to know why any church wants to protest at his funeral - or as you said, any funeral? Churches are in the "business" of conducting funerals and comforting the sorrowful is one of the "spiritual works of mercy"!

The guy who runs the church is giving interviews all over the place. His name is Phelps, I think.

They do it for attention, of course. I assume they get more money sent to them when they make the news.

Jovan

Suspended
There's a difference between freedom of speech and someone's right to a peaceful death. Wackjobs like the ones who picket the funerals of gay soldiers should not be allowed within a MILE of anyone's final resting place.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Jovan said:
Wackjobs like the ones who picket the funerals of gay soldiers should not be allowed within a MILE of anyone's final resting place.

Don't they picket at any soldier's funeral, gay or straight? The reason being God hates America for being a gay-loving country? So Heath played a gay man, so God hates him for for being an actor & playing a gay man.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=4183635&page=1

A press release posted to the church's Web site, godhatesfags.com, reads: "Heath Ledger is now in Hell, and has begun serving his eternal sentence there -- besides which, nothing else about Heath Ledger is relevant or consequential."

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Jovan said:
There's a difference between freedom of speech and someone's right to a peaceful death. Wackjobs like the ones who picket the funerals of gay soldiers should not be allowed within a MILE of anyone's final resting place.

They don't just picket the funerals of gay soldiers, they picket the funerals of any soldiers -- on the convoluted theory that the Unites States is a godless fag-dominated nation whose representatives deserve to die in ghastly ways. Trust me, you don't want to visit their website (although it has instructive value). The "minister" is Fred Phelps, and the (exceedingly small) "church" is the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas. Sane Topekans, who live with this guy's public protests on a daily rather than occasional basis, have been furious about him for years. There's a wealth of information about this publicity stunt denomination and its nutty leader on the Internet, as one might expect.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I was looking at a c. 2005 post I made on another board, I confessed my lust for Heath after seeing pictures of him running naked on the set of Brokeback. I just Googled the pictures--and now I'm sad again.

Jovan

Suspended
He was quite a beautiful man. Just icing on top of the talented cake of course, but it still brings sadness to think about just that aspect of him gone from us.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Brill said:
The guy who runs the church is giving interviews all over the place. His name is Phelps, I think.

They do it for attention, of course. I assume they get more money sent to them when they make the news.

OK...Fred Phelps' "church" is made up mostly of members of his family. They seem to feel they need to go out and pass judgment on a variety of things, protest at funerals all over the country, and tell grieving friends and family they're all going to roast in hell along with the recently deceased. Apparently, they feel they have a pass on "Judge not lest ye be judged" verse from the Bible. They will do anything and everything they can for publicity. That's what it's all about - publicity. Creating a big controversy where none existed before. Reminds me of Harold Hill - "Oh, we got trouble my friends! Right here in River City!" but on a much sadder, obscene, not at all humorous level.

We do have freedom of religion in this country, and they're entitled to do what they want, and have whatever insane, deluded, wrong, sick beliefs they want (my opinion with the insane, deluded, wrong parts, mind you) just as long as they leave me to mine. But that's where the problem comes in - they aren't happy with that. They can't stand anyone judging them, and they can't stand anyone who complains about their judging others. When they judge, they're doing the right thing, pointing out the errors of others' ways and trying to lead people to salvation. But when others judge them, they're being persecuted.

Man...I am sooo wildly :eek:fftopic: here but Phelps and his type (he's not alone, and it's not limited to religious zealots either) just rile me. But back to the original topic. A talented actor is dead, and it came as a huge shock to most if not all of us. Be it suicide or accidental overdose, it's a tragedy nonetheless. His family has lost a son, many have lost a friend, and a 2 year old child will grow up without knowing her father.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Oh BT! *snort*.. you made me laugh!
Nikki
BellyTank said:
Just what are you trying to say, Jovan..?

He was a Man, or a beautiful cake..?

Or a talented, beautiful, cake-man.

RIP HL.
B
T

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Mike in Seattle said:
OK...Fred Phelps' "church" is made up mostly of members of his family. They seem to feel they need to go out and pass judgment on a variety of things, protest at funerals all over the country, and tell grieving friends and family they're all going to roast in hell along with the recently deceased. Apparently, they feel they have a pass on "Judge not lest ye be judged" verse from the Bible. They will do anything and everything they can for publicity. That's what it's all about - publicity.

:eek:fftopic: Vile man Phelps--his behavior at the Shepherd funeral and too many others reminds me of a line from Hannah and Her Sisters: If Jesus came back and saw what's going on in his name, he'd never stop throwing up.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Jovan, what I meant about the pills might be better in a blister pack instead of just a bottle, was that with a bottle you're more apt to take more than you should, instead of having to unwrap them individually.

When I divorced my first husband I suffered terribly from anxiety and took xanex. It helped tremendously. Too bad it didn't help Heath. I can't believe the side effects from Ambien and they let this stuff on the market!

And this whole Phelps thing.. sickening.
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I read that and thought it was just horrible. What is wrong with police, ect? The family should've been contacted as soon as they knew Heath was gone. :(
Miss Brill said:
People.com is saying his family in Australia learned via the news. Can you imgaine?

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
:eek:fftopic: Vile man Phelps--his behavior at the Shepherd funeral and too many others reminds me of a line from Hannah and Her Sisters: If Jesus came back and saw what's going on in his name, he'd never stop throwing up.

let's jump him...

Jovan

Suspended
imoldfashioned said:
Von Sydow may have been playing a cantankerous older boyfriend, but I couldn't agree more with that. (Great movie, btw.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass