Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adding A little Patina To An Aero Flight Jacket

Todd M.

One of the Regulars
I just acquired this M422A Aero from a fellow lounger. I'm not a big fan of new crisp patches so, I added a few missions to them. With a little rubbing alcohol, oooo steal wool, some russet and seal brown dye from Tandy leather hear are the before and after results. Piccard's added after keeping the leather from drying out.

Last edited:

mihai

A-List Customer
It looks a bit overdone, just my 2 cents. Maybe just wearing it and getting a couple of times under the elements would have helped.
These treatments/customization (while cool for some) affect the resale value usually. I see from time to time when these high end repros being folded, treated having a harder time selling on eBay for example.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had a custom M-422A, new from ELC with 50 Cal treatment...was customised with a bit of 'Nose Art' by a well known Bike painter. Never fitted quite right & the art made it difficult to move on. I ended up having to splash out on a 'Flying Tigers' patch to cover the art before it would sell.

Todd M.

One of the Regulars
I'm not re selling it so, not too worried about it. Being an Aero that fits me perfect, I can always change the patches out if my taste changes. Your correct though adding patches and art work makes it a very small group of buyers.

tropicalbob

Isn't it kind of counterproductive to artificially age the patches and then use Pecard's on the jacket if you're going for a salty look? It's my understanding that pretty much all of Aero's leathers don't need any treatment for years and years. I've had a LHB for about six years now and, though it's nicely broken in, it doesn't show any drying out of the leather at all.

bn1966

Cool if it's keeper! I had my beloved RW A-2 treated to a 'doughnut' on the arm (same artist as the M-422A)

Todd M.

One of the Regulars
Isn't it kind of counterproductive to artificially age the patches and then use Pecard's on the jacket if you're going for a salty look? It's my understanding that pretty much all of Aero's leathers don't need any treatment for years and years. I've had a LHB for about six years now and, though it's nicely broken in, it doesn't show any drying out of the leather at all.
Rubbing alcohol can dry out leather, so I applied a little Pecard's to be on the safe side. In my opinion it still has the salty look.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
How about like this. Painted it, left it a week, put a bit of sellotape on parts, pressed it then pulled it off. Nhen rubbed some white spirit carefully over parts of the patches to expose the leather surface.
They were originally painted with enamels and aged around 20 years ago. I only just decided to put one(the blue patch) on an old Eastman from the 80s

PB100015_zpsha2icegl.jpg

Last edited:

Todd M.

One of the Regulars
How about like this. Painted it, left it a week, put a bit of sellotape on parts, pressed it then pulled it off. Nhen rubbed some white spirit carefully over parts of the patches to expose the leather surface.
They were originally painted with enamels and aged around 20 years ago. I only just decided to put one(the blue patch) on an old Eastman form the 80s

PB100015_zpsha2icegl.jpg
Nice Job! I went with a little subtle to match the jacket.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Nice Job! I went with a little subtle to match the jacket.
When looking at painted patches, multi piece or plain disc, nothing looks worse than a new jacket with old patches or an old jacket with new patches.
This was one of my few attempts to artificially age something as I had a couple of old jackets to put these on. As has been said a new jacket with new patches is fine as it will wear itself in so to speak. But yes they can be a bit bright when new.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I'm not re selling it so, not too worried about it. Being an Aero that fits me perfect, I can always change the patches out if my taste changes. Your correct though adding patches and art work makes it a very small group of buyers.
Personally I would never think about the resale value of a jacket or any similar items you wish to enjoy . Would you enjoy it more or less with no patches or how you would like it.
Would you:- Be afraid to get it wet if caught out in the rain? Worry about getting it scratched if the family dog decided to jump for joy at you suggesting a walk. Stuck your forearm in some split beer reminiscing about your school days with a friend.
If the answer is yes to any of those scenarios wearing your new $£€¥1,000 jacket should you really be wearing it for everyday things?
Do with it as you wish and to hell with the resale(without abusing it), If I thought like that how would I ever know how fast my Hayabusa would go flat out. Off to the German Autobahn soon to find out(weather permitting) ;)
Enjoy, J

Todd M.

One of the Regulars
I got quite a bit of complements from strangers the past few days. A manager at a restaurant literally walked across the waiting room to complement what a cool jacket and wanted to know how to get one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy