Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adult Cartoons

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Not adult as in revealing, but adult as to the material and subjects.

Shows such as "The Critic", "Daria", "Dilburt", and "Birdman: Attorney at Law" are all under the category of "adult" cartoons.

What adult cartoons do/did you watch?

Jeynne

New in Town
Daria. I'm glad I taped it back when the show was still on MTV and they had marathons of it, since it's yet to be released on DVD.

Starius

Practically Family
I won't mention any Anime here for the time being (unless someone else does), since a great deal of it is adult oriented in Japan.

But for western animation,
The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, and The Venture Bros.

For adult animated movies I would recommend:
American Pop
Fire & Ice
Fantastic Planet (Although very weird)
Heavy Metal (How can I not mention this?)
The Secret of NIMH (Wasn't dumbed down for kids at all. A great tale.)
Felix the Cat: The Movie (1991)
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (One of the best Batman movies ever.)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Beavis and Butthead is for adults, right? "Beavis, you're a dumbass." is a perfectly mature thing to say to your best friend, isn't it?
Also I love Space Ghost.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I love Futurama, it never gets old (whereas I haven't watched The Simpsons regularly for years.)

I adored Daria in its (her?) time. I have watched South Park religiously since I got Comedy Central around five years ago.

I have stated my extreme love for Batman: The Animated Series (and to a lesser extent, its follow-ups - Superman, Batman Beyond, Justice League) here so many times that I feel like a broken record. (And I'm probably the only person here who saw its spinoff feature Mask of the Phantasm during its blink-and-you-missed-it theatrical run.) Best. Batman adaptation. Ever. (Tim Burton's Batman films were good in their time. Batman Begins is very good. But for me, B:TAS reigns supreme!)

And a recent "kids cartoon" that surprised me with its insane creative brilliance is Samurai Jack. Now that the entire series is finally out on DVD, I'm going to have to get it sometime...

Feature length cartoons are best left to a separate discussion...

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Bevis & Butthead -- glad I recorded them all back in the early 90s. My friend tells me the DVD has the videos cut out. That was the best part, when they "critiqued" the videos!

Family Guy

Squidbillies. Living where I do, this cartoon is all too true :eek:

Starius

Practically Family
What was that cartoon on Nickelodeon about a small dog and the two old folks he lived with? I remember a episode where they were being attacked by someone who shot what I recall being "cannon balls of despair" and it was one of the strangest stories I saw on that show. For the life of me, I can't remember what the show was called.

Feraud

Bartender
Starius said:
What was that cartoon on Nickelodeon about a small dog and the two old folks he lived with? I remember a episode where they were being attacked by someone who shot what I recall being "cannon balls of despair" and it was one of the strangest stories I saw on that show. For the life of me, I can't remember what the show was called.
Is it Courage the Cowardly Dog? That is a quirky cartoon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick