Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on Fedora Hat Boxes

Warlock

Suspended
There are times when I like to travel with a casual and also a more formal fedora. I would appreciate any advice on obtaining a suitable hard shell hat box capable of holding one or possibly two hats with crowns of maximum dimensions of a six inch crown and a three inch brim. A purchase from a vendor advertising on the Lounge would be very satisfactory.

Alternatively advice on preventing an otherwise perfect wife from lobbing coats, magazines, and small packages into the back seat without looking would also be appreciated. Please do not suggest shrieks, howls, and imprecations, as the efficacy of these does not endure.

big kahuna

Familiar Face
I have a few of these hat boxes...

hatcase1sm.jpg

They make them for tall crowns, small brims, and as double carriers, etc.
They also have stacking designs, and are VERY sturdy.

Unfortunately, I have only bought mine locally.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Warlock said:
Alternatively advice on preventing an otherwise perfect wife from lobbing coats, magazines, and small packages into the back seat without looking would also be appreciated. Please do not suggest shrieks, howls, and imprecations, as the efficacy of these does not endure.

Sheplers also sells a hat-holder that you can stick to the back seat side window with suction cups--that would put your hat out of harms way those times you're not travelling with the hard shell case. I just bought one, myself, but haven't yet tried it out.

Cheers,
Tom

Warlock

Suspended
Tom, when you have tried that out, please let me know how it works. It not only seems practical for keeping a hat safe, but for a damp hat as well. I got my Borsolino Rodolpho damp opening the gate when we finally got some rain, and having one of those holders might have been handy for frying it out.

Thanks for the idea and please let me know how it works.

God bless,
John

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Tango Yankee said:
Sheplers also sells a hat-holder that you can stick to the back seat side window with suction cups--that would put your hat out of harms way those times you're not travelling with the hard shell case. I just bought one, myself, but haven't yet tried it out.

Cheers,
Tom

They work great. I use one in my truck and it didn't fall off the window until it hit -20F this past winter.

http://www.getahaton.com/proddetail.php?prod=MFQSHS&cat=20

Aaron

Warlock

Suspended
I am an accessory junkie myself, Brother Z. All you have to do is look at my Jeep. LOL! Thanks gentlemen. I have just placed an order for two hat hangers, Aaron. Thanks for making it so convenient. I also asked for a half dozen of those plastic hat stands. Those look very nice.

Thanks for the excellent advice, Tom. This is the reason I joined here, and I really appreciate the help. And thanks again, also, Aaron.

God bless,
John

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Zig2k143 said:
I need both the hat box and hat holder.. Lol I'm an accessorie geek.

I have a bag of many things as I'd like to call it... That is my all around accessory bag. It has lots of things from rain ponchos, neat sheet, knife, leatherman, handy wipes, tissues, bungies, first aide kit, personal fan, insect spray, flashlight, snacks, mp3 and external speakers, batteries, I can fit my digi cam in there when I am not taking my cam bag, I even have a water blatter if I need it.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Warlock said:
Thanks for the excellent advice, Tom. This is the reason I joined here, and I really appreciate the help. And thanks again, also, Aaron.

God bless,
John

You're welcome, John. Helpful suggestions/advice is just one of the reasons I enjoy the Lounge! I'm going to put my hat holder in my car when I leave in a bit. I'll take a photo and post it this evening.

Cheers,
Tom

Warlock

Suspended
No problem, Aaron. Please do not go to any special trouble. The second is just out of laziness. Now if they just made one to stick to the vinyl windows of the Jeep soft top..... I could put one in all three vehicles. I suppose there is always duct tape.

But I would still like that other when you get them in, and I am glad they are selling for you. It seems like a great idea. Thanks!

God bless,
John

Warlock

Suspended
Brother Zig, in addition to be black hat wearers, we definitely have this accessory thing down. I also have a bag I do not leave home without. I think I got it from Travelsmith. Anyway, it started out simply enough, and now I think I could survive in the wild with the contents. Maybe I should put my Grilliput in there! And of course, one of Brother Aaron's neat little plastic hat stands. I did not know about those, but they look like a great idea. I requested half a dozen. I would put up the link on them, but I am not sure if that is permitted.

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Warlock said:
Brother Zig, in addition to be black hat wearers, we definitely have this accessory thing down. I also have a bag I do not leave home without. I think I got it from Travelsmith. Anyway, it started out simply enough, and now I think I could survive in the wild with the contents. Maybe I should put my Grilliput in there! And of course, one of Brother Aaron's neat little plastic hat stands. I did not know about those, but they look like a great idea. I requested half a dozen. I would put up the link on them, but I am not sure if that is permitted.

Plastic Hat Stand?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
My car hat rack

It's a bit different than the model Aaron posted. Since a picture is worth a thousand words here are a few:

carhatrack6.jpg

carhatrack5.jpg

The hat isn't held in place by anything but gravity. So far (200 miles round trip today) that seems to be sufficient for the roads I drive on.

carhatrack.jpg

carhatrack4.jpg

Through the window...

carhatrack3.jpg

I did look at one like the one Aaron sells, but was concerned about the brim being flattened between the wire and the roof of the car. Aaron, is that an issue?

One thing I like about this one is that I can just reach back and set it on the rack when I get into the car, then pluck it off when I get out. I also like the fact that I can put it below my sightline so when I'm doing a headcheck for traffic it's not in the way.

I can't speak to how long the suction cups will hold it in place, but typically I find these smaller cups don't hold as long as the bigger ones like on the other model.

Oh, and it came with a cap holder, too! :D

carhatrack7.jpg

Cheers,
Tom

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Tango Yankee said:
It's a bit different than the model Aaron posted. Since a picture is worth a thousand words here are a few:

carhatrack6.jpg

carhatrack5.jpg

The hat isn't held in place by anything but gravity. So far (200 miles round trip today) that seems to be sufficient for the roads I drive on.

carhatrack.jpg

carhatrack4.jpg

Through the window...

carhatrack3.jpg

I did look at one like the one Aaron sells, but was concerned about the brim being flattened between the wire and the roof of the car. Aaron, is that an issue?

One thing I like about this one is that I can just reach back and set it on the rack when I get into the car, then pluck it off when I get out. I also like the fact that I can put it below my sightline so when I'm doing a headcheck for traffic it's not in the way.

I can't speak to how long the suction cups will hold it in place, but typically I find these smaller cups don't hold as long as the bigger ones like on the other model.

Oh, and it came with a cap holder, too! :D

carhatrack7.jpg

Cheers,
Tom

Curious - wouldn't the sun and heat cause your hats to shrink?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
jake_fink said:
Curious - wouldn't the sun and heat cause your hats to shrink?

I wouldn't think so, since I wouldn't be leaving the hat in the car when it's parked. It's just there during the drive and even then it wouldn't necessarily be in direct sunlight the entire time. They probably get more direct sun when I'm wearing them.

Cheers,
Tom

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Tango Yankee said:
I wouldn't think so, since I wouldn't be leaving the hat in the car when it's parked. It's just there during the drive and even then it wouldn't necessarily be in direct sunlight the entire time. They probably get more direct sun when I'm wearing them.

Cheers,
Tom

Ah ha! Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany