Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1938: Advice to Theatre Managers

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm currently reading "Management of Motion Picture Theatres" by F. H. Rickelson Jr., a textbook published in 1938 for all those involved in the exhibition business, and it's full of advice that gives a flavor of what theatres and the theatre business were like in the prewar era:

"Today's audiences are demanding a finer quality of drama, music, and entertainment from the screen than they are receiving in their magazines, in the music halls, and on the stage. The empty ballyhoo from intellectual rebels that motion picture audiences have a twelve-year-old mentality has lots its flavor. The perennial question of the luncheon-club executive -- 'Why do we not have better movies? -- is now recognized as the talk of a Babbitt."

"Bookings must always have variety and contrast. Stars should not appear on the program more than once every four weeks, and it is better for their appearances to be spaced four to eight weeks apart. If the star for one week is a man, next week's predominating player should be a woman, or a man of an entirely different type. Action pictures should be intermingled with comedies and musicals to avoid staleness and give the theatre a continuously fresh appeal."

"Stage shows continue to have value in some theatres, usually in large key centers. They may enable a manager to lift his admission price above the average in his city. A theatre that would ordinarily be committed to a 40 cent admission may get 50 cents because of a stage show. If the added cost of the stage show is only 6 or 7 cents per patron, the theatre is amply justified in the policy."

"Employees should realize that they are serving a worthy cause in furnishing entertainment, recreation, and amusement to a world in which care and troubles are prevalent. Theatre employees may make material gains and find personal satisfaction, but they must have an inherent love for the theatre and a willingness to work hard for long hours while others play. The theatre is a jealous mistress, demanding fidelity and ability."

"ORDER OF THE SHOW: On a single bill program the order of a show should be as follows:

One-reel subject.
Newsreel.
Announcement trailer on coming attractions or policy.
Two-reel comedy or short subject.
Announcement trailer on next attraction.
Feature
Intermission.

The order for double-bill programs is somewhat different:

Announcement trailer on coming atttactions or policy.
"B" feature.
Newsreel.
Announcement trailer on next attraction.
"A" feature.
Intermission.

The show receiving the best audience reaction is never over three hours long, and is preferably two or two and one-half hours. Even the finest entertainment should be limited to two and one-half hours, for in that time the public's appetite seems to be satisfied and the show begins to lose its interest.

Commercial screen advertising has no place in any showhouse."

"In showhouses where the carpets, draperies, and furnishings are worn and some of the luster of the theatre has faded, beautiful young usherettes, attractively costumed, can keep the public's glances off the shabby spots. In small operations, usherettes can also save management the expense of a maid."

"The show begins in a motion picture theatre when the purchaser buys a ticket. In the old 'legitimate' days, the house appointments were secondary, and the whole show was on the stage. The psychology has changed, and the cashier of a motion picture theatre really starts the performance. The lobby, the foyer, and the personnel are all part of a pleasing effect and performance."

"Popcorn machines are suitable only to small-town theatres or the cheap-admission-price houses of large cities, or what might be termed 'storeroom' showhouses. A popcorn machine, where it can be used, is the most profitable by-product of theatre operation. Gross profits are three or four times commodity cost, and the public is a willing buyer in these small houses."

"Employees should remember: Every Patron Is Your Personal Guest!"

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yes, popcorn was considered somewhat déclassé back then. One big issue was the noisy bags it was served in, as Spike Jones pointed out brilliantly in 1947.
[video=youtube;vEqHJtzli-s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEqHJtzli-s[/video]
When Kath'rine Hepburn speaks her part
And brings out high dramatic art
"The calla lilies will soon be back
On the chest of that pest with the popcorn sack"

Last edited:

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I'm not sure about the beautiful usherettes, I think handsome ushers in smart uniforms look rather dashing as well.
7553062260_a1900ba55c.jpg

This was taken by Sam Hood. Capitol Theatre Sydney circa 1930.

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Doing the math on that stage show gives, if you have 1,000 people per show, and .07 cost, about $70 cost per show. Which, if you have a 12 to 20 piece orchestra, and maybe 8 to 12 dancers, about nothing per performer for wages, or maybe $2 or $3 per person per show (probably less). Say 4 or more likely 5 or 6 or 7 shows per day.
That would come out (very approximately, given a sliding scale for different performers), a weekly wage of $20 to $30 each. Does that seem right? People sure worked cheap in those days.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
About right -- it was the bottom rank of show business, or maybe one step up from the guys who went from town to town showing the Elks or the Shriners how to put on their annual minstrel show. $25-$30 a week was about what an ordinary mill hand, mechanic, or petty white-collar clerk would take home in 1938, so it's basically an average working-class wage. If you think of small-time chorus dancers as the show-business equivalent of blue collar workers, it makes more sense.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
The official lineup was interesting. When the double feature became popular it did away with a lot of newsreels, serials, and short subjects. This must have affected the fortunes of a lot of small time Hollywood actors and technical people. Maybe they got bit parts in feature pictures.

For "one reel subject" I am reading cartoon. I believe cartoons were always the first thing on the bill, something noisy and unimportant to show while patrons were finding their seats.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
dhermann I doubt a movie theater would have such an elaborate, and expensive live show unless it was Radio City.

I seem to recall Will Rogers had a variety show that appeared in vaudeville and movie theaters in the early thirties, I think he had a staff of 12 and he got $1000 a week.

PS not to jack the thread but Lizzie I hoped to hear the Plodge was back in commission by now. Will watch the old car thread for news.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Reading this suddenly reminded me that back in the 30s and 40s, cartoons were shown in cinemas, not on television!! Shows like Tom & Jerry, Betty Boop, the Mickey Mouse & co. shorts, the Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes shorts...all good stuff.

I'm going to my vintage movie-theater this evening, to watch "Les Miserables".

Here's a link to its website:

http://villagecinemas.com.au/Cinemas/Rivoli-Cinemas.htm

The Rivoli was opened in 1940 and to this day, it retains its charming late 1930s Art Deco styling. Going to the pictures here, is like taking a trip back in time to the prewar days.

There's a slideshow of photographs about halfway down the page in the link up above, showing what the inside of the cinema looks like. It's really beautiful.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The official lineup was interesting. When the double feature became popular it did away with a lot of newsreels, serials, and short subjects. This must have affected the fortunes of a lot of small time Hollywood actors and technical people. Maybe they got bit parts in feature pictures.

For "one reel subject" I am reading cartoon. I believe cartoons were always the first thing on the bill, something noisy and unimportant to show while patrons were finding their seats.

Usually a one-reeler was a cartoon, but there were also live-action things like the Pete Smith Specialties or a Robert Benchley lecture or a FitzPatrick Traveltalk -- these were also one-reelers, but were less popular than cartoons in starting off a show for exactly the reason you name, they made a convenient buffer for latecomers. Although at the height of Mickey Mouse's popularity in the early thirties, the cartoon often received marquee billing alongside and sometimes even above the feature.

Both of these schedules assume the theatre ran a "continuous shows" policy -- that is, you could come in any time and stay to see a complete show. The "intermission" was only about ten minutes, and they counted on audiences clearing out quick. If the theatre still had its organ in place, an organ solo might fill this interval -- but by the late thirties recorded music was more common. You never had silence, though, and you never saw a blank screen: either the curtain was closed or coming-attraction slides were projected. Despite the warning that commercial screen advertising had no place in any theatre, many small town or neighborhood houses depended on slide ads being shown during these intermissions as an important source of ancillary revenue.

(As for the Plodge, they expect to have it buttoned up and ready to go this month: there were delays finding the right valve springs, of all things, but those issues have been resolved! Probably won't be driving it for a while though -- we now have nine inches of snow on the ground.)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
If the theatre still had its organ in place, an organ solo might fill this interval -- but by the late thirties recorded music was more common.
Here's a little info about records "for theatre use". During the early sound years both Victor and American Record produced these all-instrumental discs. I imagine they faded out by the mid 30s when Muzak began to make inroads.

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Around here the schedule seemed to be 2 shows per day, 7 pm and 9:30 pm with a kiddy matinee on Saturday with shoot em up westerns that were almost as noisy and violent as the audience lol.

I think this was typical of small town and neighborhood theaters.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The theatre where I work ran a continuous show policy starting at 11 am and ending at midnight from the early thirties thru at least the end of the forties -- the population here was about a thousand people more then than it is now, and there was a lot more going on downtown than gift shops and art galleries, but it still amazes me that they were able to sustain that schedule (and there was another theatre a block over doing the same thing!). Nowadays we do one show a night, at 7pm, with matinees on Tuesday and Sunday, and late-afternoon shows on Friday and Saturday. We tried to do a 9pm show and it absolutely died -- nobody here is on the streets at 9pm, no matter what the attraction. Except for drunks and saltheads, and they don't go to movies.

Espee

Practically Family
I don't remember where I read (a couple decades ago) that classic era theater managers preferred 500 kids in the seats on a Saturday for Abbott & Costello (or some other comedy) to 500 kids for a Western. Because laughing leads to more peeing, and out by the restrooms, is the Snack Counter.
$$$$$!!!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I think cartoons were, yes. From what I've seen (and I'm a big fan of vintage cartoons), is that the average cartoon short was about 7-10 minutes long. Long enough for opening credits, a short story, a few giggles and laughs, and then a pause before the movie starts.

Disney-Pixar is the only company that I can think of today, that still maintains this tradition. Before nearly all their animated movies, there's a comedy cartoon short of some description...

[video=youtube;HAbiJPGHeV0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAbiJPGHeV0[/video]

[video=youtube;aYTo8m2Dwdg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYTo8m2Dwdg[/video]

[video=youtube;WeJQx9n5GPw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeJQx9n5GPw[/video]

[video=youtube;8Wfz0h60Ezc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wfz0h60Ezc[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran