Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 1920s Original Hercules

Status
Not open for further replies.

schitzo

Suspended
When I got the jacket there was a mix up and it came in the stock option of vintage black FQHH when I had intended for it to be in regular black FQHH. In my personal opinion, I really don't see any appeal in the vintage black stuff and so I was relieved when Aero graciously agreed to a remake, which they knocked out in double quick time - it was days not weeks as I recall. Obviously this was my chance to make any adjustments and I took the opportunity to have the sleeves half an inch shorter second time out. Everything else I kept the same.

From the off I could tell that it wouldn't need much break in, and that has been the case. It was comfortable from the beginning in fact. Satisfyingly, the grain on it is the best I've seen on an Aero and I only wish I could properly show you that with my camera. However, the thing I like most about this jacket is wearing it. It just feels so right on. One small part of that comfort factor is I reckon the collar, which is cord on the underside ergo no hot water treatment required there. IMO that is a very nice touch and is something that I'd definitely consider for any future heavy hide jacket orders. The lining is the stock option; black cord with cord lined cuffs and moleskin sleeves

Over the years I've probably had more aeros than I've fingers to count em on and I can honestly report without a trace of doubt in my mind having worn it now for maybe 6 weeks or so, that this is the one I am most pleased with.

Before I give you the dimensions - it's size 38 btw - let me ask you all, what do you think of the length? If you think it's too short that won't bother me at all so please do pipe up.

Thanks
Schitz

I'll try and add a few 'detail shots' in a bit

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
Lovely jacket, perfect length I think. Only it annoys me a little to see your T shirt hanging out at the back. If wearing the shirt inside the trousers, it would be perfect, and the jacket would just cover your belt, if wearing one.What say the Dude:confused:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That looks shorter than my speedway and the general consensus I got on that was its too short.
Yours looks too short for my liking but its not my jacket....its what you think.

Hmmm thats coming off a bit too negative. It doesn't look bad at all but I've come to realise I personally don't feel comfortable in a jacket that short.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Allowing for the shirt hanging out, it looks about right to me - even with what I presume to be fairly low-waisted trews.

Jonst

New in Town
Thanks for your review.

I think it looks good on you but it's a bit short in the sleeves and body for my taste.

You didn't go with the Bison then. That's the version which has caught my imagination.

Enjoy the jacket.

Jon

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Very good looking jacket and also much prefer "regular" FQHH to vintage. I am curious: What are the back and sleeve lengths?

thor

One Too Many
It's your jacket Schitz so if you're happy then that's what counts; but since you asked for opinions, IMHO it's a bit short for my taste.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I wonder why Aero markets this as '20s? Hercules didn't release this model until the mid 1930s. The separable bottom zipper didn't even exist until the 1930s.

schitzo

Suspended
Thanks for the opinions chaps, it's interesting. Do please Keep em coming. As far as I can tell, I don't think Insurrection like em this length.. Carrie?

@Fanch, I will post the dimensions soon enough but you haven't said whether it's too short for your eyes

Meanwhile here's a couple of 'detail shots'. They aren't so great as black is, in my experience at least, very hard to photograph + I forgot to snap the collar

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
It's your jacket Schitz so if you're happy then that's what counts; but since you asked for opinions, IMHO it's a bit short for my taste.

Yes, "it's horses for courses." (Sloan, I so appreciate your line I had to use it.) IMHO fit is so truly personal and unique that opinions are simply that; another's preference based on their experience.

Schitzo, on you, the lengths work. I cannot imagine it would for my body type and size. Enjoy your choice!

schitzo

Suspended
I wonder why Aero markets this as '20s? Hercules didn't release this model until the mid 1930s. The separable bottom zipper didn't even exist until the 1930s.

I've no idea but if you're sayings 30s then I believe it was in fact released in the 30s! What do you think about the length of mine?

EDIT: perhaps because they already offer a '1930s halfbelt'

Last edited:

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
I realise this remark will be considered heretical by most --but part of the visual impact and impression of shortness from behind is the half-belt effect. To my mind this always affects jackets the same way especially if the half belt is up around the shoulder blades! The length would look great without it. Merely my opinion...but anyway it's an excellent bit of leather--and great from the front

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Shitz, me thinks it needs another half inch or so in sleeve length, and an inch or so in body length. What does it look like with a tucked in long sleeved shirt? This will better confirm both length needs.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
@Fanch, I will post the dimensions soon enough but you haven't said whether it's too short for your eyes

Schitz, you said earlier "However, the thing I like most about this jacket is wearing it. It just feels so right on." IMO that should be the main barometer of whether something works for you or not. Some like jackets to fit as big as a circus tent, whereas others prefer the opposite. My personal preference would be maybe a couple of inches longer in body length, a bit longer in the sleeves, and not quite as snug. HOWEVER, that is just my personal preference and would not want to see you flip a really nice jacket based on some kind of a concensus of others opining to the contrary. The primary virtue of the FL is for us to observe various photos, gather data, and then determine which style and fit might work best for us individually but NOT for you.

schitzo

Suspended

Schitz, you said earlier "However, the thing I like most about this jacket is wearing it. It just feels so right on." IMO that should be the main barometer of whether something works for you or not. Some like jackets to fit as big as a circus tent, whereas others prefer the opposite. My personal preference would be maybe a couple of inches longer in body length, a bit longer in the sleeves, and not quite as snug. HOWEVER, that is just my personal preference and would not want to see you flip a really nice jacket based on some kind of a concensus of others opining to the contrary. The primary virtue of the FL is for us to observe various photos, gather data, and then determine which style and fit might work best for us individually but NOT for you.

Relax buddy it isn't going anywhere! Even though the opinions on here will not at all influence my own I still think that canvassing them is interesting and worthwhile. So thank you for sharing yours

philosophy101

A-List Customer
Thanks for your writeup, and for sharing your photos.

Frankly, I think it looks too short, and agree with the thought (that has often been voiced before on this forum) that this sort of jacket design dates from an era in which men's trousers were much higher waisted than is the current fashion. So (IMHO) you could either go with higher waisted trousers for an all 'round authentic vintage look, or stick with the current fashion, but then go with a longer jacket.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks for the opinions chaps, it's interesting. Do please Keep em coming. As far as I can tell, I don't think Insurrection like em this length..

Insurrection seem to like their jackets to be a bit longer and hella tight, I suppose because their primary custom is folks who'll use them for riding. Bike leathers have been cut somewhat longer since at least the early 90s, if not the Eighties, so they don't ride up and expose a chunk of the rider's back when bent over some crotchrocket. The tight fit, I gather, provides better protection in the event of a spill.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's my favorite of the newer Aero designs, and it looks killer on you. I espeicialy like the gothic design of the back, which can only be in black. Really beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko