Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 1930's half belt

I also think you defeated that fit you were after. And keep the sleeve cuffs unbuttoned. I've tried to do it on the HB I sold, but I couldn't do it out of fear the button will fall off. Virtually impossible to be done on a FQHH.

One day, the realization of selling that jacket is going to come back and haunt me. I know it... I'll want another one, but by the time I'll already be living on the street, homeless, with nothing but a lightweight red cafe racer to keep me warm. Oh my...

I also think you defeated that fit you were after. And keep the sleeve cuffs unbuttoned. I've tried to do it on the HB I sold, but I couldn't do it out of fear the button will fall off. Virtually impossible to be done on a FQHH.

One day, the realization of selling that jacket is going to come back and haunt me. I know it... I'll want another one, but by the time I'll already be living on the street, homeless, with nothing but a lightweight red cafe racer to keep me warm. Oh my...
Indeed, I've got to cut the cord on jackets after this order! Must be done. I'm freakn out. Bases covered. El freak'n FIN.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks guys. I've got a 42" 50's HB and a 40" bootlegger. Just wondering how the 30's HB fits in relation to those two styles.

From my own experience.... I wear a 42 in a HWM, and can wear either a 42 or a 44 in a Bootlegger (but perfectly happy with my 42). For a 30s HB or any of the other prewar, halfbelt types, I have to size up to a 44. I've yet to try the premier fit, but I have a suspicion I'd need to go up to a 46 for that. FWIW, I don't tend to layer under my leathers (apart from the HWM, once I lose the extra padding again); I prefer to wear 'em with either just a shirt or thin sweater, or at most a shirt an tie with a waistcoat, never a heavy jumper. (By the time it gets cold enough for a sweater, I'm wanting a bigger coat than a short leather jacket.)

That is a general problem with the custom handmade jackets. There is always a plus and minus in the measurements. I compared Board Racers all over the internet at Aeros site, Thurston Bros. and at Ebay. In the same size there were huge differences in measurements. Aero stated at their site under custom build "This leaves us no options other than to be unable to guarantee measurements of a finished jacket to be any more precise than to be within ½" of requirements" So there is always a little surprise when you receive the jacket.

...though in my experience it's only really an issue if you want it to fit like a second skin...

If you are after a much trimmer fit you can always specify say a 42 chest tapered down to a 40 waist in the 30s Half Belt if it isn't trim enough for you already. I've done that on a lot of my jackets.

I think I could wear a 44 Premier fit if I had it taper up as it went down... ;)

View attachment 48183 Fit jacket arrived today! I think the fit is about spot on (but input here is appreciated!) and will opt for standard over the premier. Now this jacket heads on its way and I officially submit my order to Thurston Bros. tomorrow. Man, I'm geeked! And even tho I've opted for another CXL hide I fully understand why people like the Vincenza. It's a pleasure to wear! View attachment 48182

The Vicenza really is nice; one day, I want an Aeromarine in that hide.... (possibly with the slash pockets, though I might stick with the patches just for variation from my HBs!).

Edward

Bartender
Hell yeah man!

I love this enthusiasm. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out: I've seen a few Lewis jackets in midnight overf the years; I think it'll look something really special in the Aero. Might even be one to add to my 'wants list'...

I love this enthusiasm. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out: I've seen a few Lewis jackets in midnight overf the years; I think it'll look something really special in the Aero. Might even be one to add to my 'wants list'...
After getting my hands on the sample piece I was sold. I can totally see this hide breaking in like the Cordo in terms of depth , with lots of grayish, green highlights! It's just awesome stuff!! I'll be strutting around chest puffed out in this sucka!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Fit is perfect in my eyes! Should be great to get that order placed. Will you do contrasting stitching on this jacket? What lining are you thinking?

Fit is perfect in my eyes! Should be great to get that order placed. Will you do contrasting stitching on this jacket? What lining are you thinking?
I'm keepig the stitching black as it seems to bring out more emerald tones than blue w/ OD drill as the liner...nothing too fancy...shoulder gussets, single pointed yoke, no pleats above the HB, no inside pockets and zippered hand warmers. :cool:

Edward

Bartender
If you're gonig no inside pockets, think about asking for a bigger chest pocket: the standard onr is pretty small, no good for most wallets (though it looks really cool).

If you're gonig no inside pockets, think about asking for a bigger chest pocket: the standard onr is pretty small, no good for most wallets (though it looks really cool).
That's a good point and I did consider it but I figure w/ zipped handwarmers I'll be ok for storage...for some reason I just don't like pockets inside a jacket. I've had them and never used them b/c I don't like disturbing the lines of the fit. Unless it's a bike jacket, those I'll stuff with every damn thing I can.

Yeah, what the heck is up with that?? Vanson makes stupid chest pockets, too.

wdw

One Too Many
As for pockets, maybe think about downsizing to a cardholder for cards and notes. I've used one for at least 10 years now and would never go bulky again.

A cardholder wallet would easily fit into that chest pocket, and shirt pockets too, without any bulge.

Having said all that, depending on the pocket arrangement, I'd also consider an open inside pocket for a phone. But your zipped hip pockets here mean you probably don't need that.

As for pockets, maybe think about downsizing to a cardholder for cards and notes. I've used one for at least 10 years now and would never go bulky again.

A cardholder wallet would easily fit into that chest pocket, and shirt pockets too, without any bulge.

Having said all that, depending on the pocket arrangement, I'd also consider an open inside pocket for a phone. But your zipped hip pockets here mean you probably don't need that.
I thought about the open pocket...this fit jacket had that and it was less obtrusive and I didn't feel it at all when zipped. Not sure why but I'm a purist about the inside pocket thing! The only exception being the Vanson Highwayman...I love that giant leather lined gun pocket and it's such a bulky jacket anyway it doesn't matter as much to me

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Tony, I gather the fit jacket is based on the 1930's HB pattern rather than the Premier. Correct? In any case, the overall fit looks great to me. You can cinch in the HB straps (hour glass effect) to help keep out the cold or loosen for a straighter profile. I prefer Aero's D-rings over their other hardware as I think maybe less slippage with D-rings, at least based on my experience?

I think there is significant variance in Aero's patterns. I found that a size 42 in Aero's 1930's HB pattern works great for me whereas a size 42 HWM and/or 1950's pattern is a boxy/full fit, even a bit baggy. Maybe I could size down to a 40 for a better fit, but some concern there might be binding at the shoulders? Hard to say as I've never tried on a size 40 HWM of 50's HB. I did find a size 42 Premier HWM was very binding in the chest and shoulders, especially the shoulders. Aero's Sheene/CR in size 42 with 2" added to the circumference of the waist (1" added to each side panel) is a bespoke fit for me.

Conclusion: One never knows exactly how something will fit until tried on, which illustrates the importance of a fit jacket. I'm certain you will nail down exactly what you want and look forward to viewing fit pics in a few weeks!

Tony, I gather the fit jacket is based on the 1930's HB pattern rather than the Premier. Correct? In any case, the overall fit looks great to me. You can cinch in the HB straps (hour glass effect) to help keep out the cold or loosen for a straighter profile. I prefer Aero's D-rings over their other hardware as I think maybe less slippage with D-rings, at least based on my experience?

I think there is significant variance in Aero's patterns. I found that a size 42 in Aero's 1930's HB pattern works great for me whereas a size 42 HWM and/or 1950's pattern is a boxy/full fit, even a bit baggy. Maybe I could size down to a 40 for a better fit, but some concern there might be binding at the shoulders? Hard to say as I've never tried on a size 40 HWM of 50's HB. I did find a size 42 Premier HWM was very binding in the chest and shoulders, especially the shoulders. Aero's Sheene/CR in size 42 with 2" added to the circumference of the waist (1" added to each side panel) is a bespoke fit for me.

Conclusion: One never knows exactly how something will fit until tried on, which illustrates the importance of a fit jacket. I'm certain you will nail down exactly what you want and look forward to viewing fit pics in a few weeks!
I whole heartedly agree! The fit jacket proccess is the best thing going...Carrie was kind enough to send me two a 44" (WAY to big) and the 42" above. TBH I don't see myself changing the measurements of the 42" fit jacket. I'm sure the premier fit wouldn't work for me and the standard pattern fit jacket gave me the sleek, trim look I was after without sacraficing mobility...I was so excited to get my bootlegger going and I can't believe I'm actually MORE excited to get this one underway. Specs have been sent. Now I just have to wait for the only email I actually want to receive! It should be really hot and humid here in Chicago when it gets to me. 95 degrees with 100% humidity...that's break'n in weather right there...honestly I haven't been this excited since my aunt Kay let it slip at Thanksgiving that she got me the millenium falcon for Christmas in 1983. THAT felt like an eternity...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy