Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Buco J-100 fit jacket: your feedback is greatly appreciated!

SklounstDraxxer

Familiar Face
Hi all! I finally pulled the trigger on an Aero Buco J-100, and just received my fit jacket from Thurston Bros. Thanks to everyone's advice on this forum so far!

I think the fit jacket fits almost perfectly, except the sleeves are a little long. I also notice a slight ripple near my left shoulder on the front of the jacket (you can see it better with the jacket unzipped), and the back of the jacket looks slightly baggy in certain places. Anyhow, maybe I'm being nitpicky, or maybe that's just because the Vicenza has not yet broken in. What do you all think? I would really appreciate your feedback!

Attachments

• IMG_7751_unzipped.jpg
    IMG_7751_unzipped.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,825
  • IMG_7752_unzipped.jpg
    IMG_7752_unzipped.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,367
  • IMG_7755_unzipped.jpg
    IMG_7755_unzipped.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 1,177
  • IMG_7756_unzipped.jpg
    IMG_7756_unzipped.jpg
    675.6 KB · Views: 1,454
  • IMG_7757_zipped.jpg
    IMG_7757_zipped.jpg
    840 KB · Views: 1,125
  • IMG_7758_zipped.jpg
    IMG_7758_zipped.jpg
    879.1 KB · Views: 1,094
  • IMG_7759_zipped.jpg
    IMG_7759_zipped.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 1,025
  • IMG_7760_zipped.jpg
    IMG_7760_zipped.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 1,048
I think the back fit might well be the pattern. The front and side pics look great but doesn't the BR have a more tubular shape in general? That would account for the lack of taper...
Going down a size might make the shoulders too restrictive.
You might need to split the jacket in half...like a 42" up top tapered to a 40" in the waist?

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I think the back fit might well be the pattern. The front and side pics look great but doesn't the BR have a more tubular shape in general? That would account for the lack of taper...
You might need to split the jacket in half...like a 42" up top tapered to a 40" in the waist?

tapering might be indeed a choice (I have to taper my jackets the other way around for obvious reasons).

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ton312- I agree. Needs a taper to the waist. Otherwise you might want to size down but........ as Ton312 mentions, may or may not be restrictive if you size down. Sometimes you get a jacket cut that is either too big or small with little option in the middle. Certain body shapes look best with certain cuts- part of the discovery journey.

I would try a smaller size. It looks like you still have some space up top to size down. Though I like my jackets pretty snug. How does the jacket look and feel if you layer underneath it a bit?

SklounstDraxxer

Familiar Face
Thanks for all your thoughts! Yes, I did think the back looked baggy but wasn't sure if it had anything to do with the initial stiffness of the leather.

I think sizing down (this is a 40) is not an option because the jacket fits my shoulders perfectly, in fact perhaps a touch too narrow. So it sounds like maybe a taper is the way to go...Is this something Aero routinely does, and does anyone have any specific experience with getting a cafe racer tapered?

I have already sent these fit pics to Carrie and also mentioned I thought the back looked baggy.

SklounstDraxxer

Familiar Face
I would try a smaller size. It looks like you still have some space up top to size down. Though I like my jackets pretty snug. How does the jacket look and feel if you layer underneath it a bit?

Up at the top of the jacket, even with just a T-shirt or Henley it's already pretty snug. When I get home maybe I'll try and stuff in a layer.

If I want to try on a different size of the fit jacket, does Thurston charge me extra?

SklounstDraxxer

Familiar Face
I've always felt the BR pattern is for tall/slim guys. If you've got some mass in your shoulders and chest it just won't play. Even if you are sporting a bees waist.
TBH @SklounstDraxxer I immediately thought ( from your pics) a standard CR with some taper to the waist would be a better option.

Thanks Ton. I really like the Buco J-100 style though, so hopefully through tapering we can get that pattern to work for me!

Agreed. People often have such problems with Aero's CR/BR patterns. It's not the first time I've seen this - the jacket fits perfectly everywhere except in the back where it's baggy. IMO, they make it so to make the jacket more comfortable on a bike. Stretch your arms out forward, you'll see the back will be good then.
In any case, I don't think it looks bad at all. Actually, I quite like it! I wouldn't size down on this but best you try on a smaller jacket before making any decisions. You never know. But the back will look better with time and yeah, it's never a bad thing to have some allowance for layering.

SklounstDraxxer

Familiar Face
Thanks Monitor!

So do you guys think I should stick with this size but go for a taper, or first try on a size smaller to see what that's all about?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
You're finding out the fact that even with a fit jacket, it's still really hard to determine size without trying on several at one, even different styles to determine what fits you well. Just FYI, I always zip up the sleeves and jacket completely to evaluate fit, and rarely if ever wear any of my jackets un-zipped. But I live in a windy place (Iowa) so this affects my preferences greatly.

I have an Aero 4-pocket CR, so my observations are as follows:
  • Upper chest area looks good, fits as it's supposed to
  • Rest of jacket is too large, including sleeves
  • The area around the waist in the front sticks out a bit far (perhaps a bit large here as well)
  • Back seems to "wide" through mid-section
Please again don't take any of this personally, it's a fit deal, and none of us are built exactly alike. Carrie will help you and I would encourage you to trust her directions. Enjoy the process! :)

Last edited:

SklounstDraxxer

Familiar Face
You're finding out the fact that even with a fit jacket, it's still really hard to determine size without trying on several at one, even different styles to determine what fits you well. Just FYI, I always zip up the sleeves and jacket completely to evaluate fit, and rarely if ever wear any of my jackets un-zipped. But I live in a windy place (Iowa) so this affects my preferences greatly.

I have an Aero 4-pocket CR, so my observations are as follows:
  • Upper chest area looks good, fits as it's supposed to
  • Rest of jacket is too large, including sleeves
  • The area around the waist in the front sticks out a bit far (perhaps a bit large here as well)
  • Back seems to "wide" through mid-section
Please again don't take any of this personally, it's a fit deal, and none of us are built exactly alike. Carrie will help you and I would encourage you to trust her directions. Enjoy the process! :)

Thanks for the detailed observations, I appreciate it! Regarding zipping up the jacket, I'm kind of the opposite since I live in mild southern California--I rarely need to zip up any of my jackets.

I agree with your observations. Regarding the sleeves being too large, do you mean too long, or that the circumference is too large for my arms?

At any rate, I think I would like to check out one size smaller to see what that's like.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I wonder if a Cafe Racer pattern one size smaller might be a better fit for your frame. The Cafe Racer pattern might be easier to fine tune with its side panels than the Board Racer. Or maybe the Board Racer with a split back might alleviate the fullness in the back, keeping in mind what Aero has to say about this very issue in their description of the BR on their website:

"The back has a double kidney panel and is cut to fit close to the torso, to achieve this we've had to use a centre back seam, quadruple stitched for extra strength, which follows the contours of the wearers backbone. We are aware that a centre back seam isn't to everyone's liking so we are offering the option of a one piece upper back but one should be aware that this will compromise the close fit of the jacket."

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner