Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Cheyenne – Vintage Brown FQHH, Size 40 (lots of large pics)

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
My new Aero Cheyenne in vintage brown FQHH arrived today. Simply beautiful - great fit, great color, amazing leather.

A few specs

+ Size 40 Cheyenne in Vintage Brown FQHH.
+ Cheyenne pattern shortened by about 2 inches and I requested that it be a little slimmer than the standard pattern.
+ Black cotton drill lining
+ One vertical inside pocket in the facing.
+ Two piece back instead of the standard three piece construction.
+ standard Cheyenne pocket flaps (they are tucked into the pockets in the photos below)
+ made by Janet

Impressions:
Out of the box, the "vintage" FQHH is definitely more subtle and broken-in when compared to the "standard" FQHH. I can't tell if the leather is actually the same weight/thickness (Aero says it is and this leather is definitely heavy and thick) but the "vintage" tumbling definitely gives the coat a MUCH less stiff feeling and more surface texture. I really like it. Originally, I wanted to go with the standard FQHH and do all the breaking in myself but after putting this on I'm very happy with the feel. Having worn the exact same coat in "standard" FQHH just 2 weeks ago its easy for me to compare. This coat is much more comfortable out of the box than the same coat in "standard" FQHH. I'm sure the standard FQHH gets there and I'm sure its very satisfying to do all the breaking in yourself but all my worries about going with the vintage FQHH (too soft, lighter weight, no variable tone, etc) are gone. This coat has heft and some stiffness but it doesn't feel like I'm wearing a box. LOVE IT.

I found Fedora Lounge while searching for information about the different styles of Aero jackets and what my options where. This place as been an incredible resource. Thanks to everyone here I learned about options that I wouldn’t have known about otherwise and a lot about leather coats in general. So, to pay it forward here are photos for anyone considering the Aero Cheyenne and/or vintage brown FQHH. After the photos I’ll provide detailed information about my measurements, the coat’s measurements, and a little bit about my experience in ordering from Aero for the benefit of anyone who is interested.

Thanks to everyone here at FL who has taken the time to share information about their jackets and their experiences in ordering from Aero, post photos, and provide advice and opinions.

Now the photos…

First a few interior shots (with flash) of the coat out of the box...
3705050638_7d32008131_b.jpg

3705051212_fde9c579eb_b.jpg

3705050854_d713f79e0a_b.jpg

3704242163_0065533b22_b.jpg

A few outdoor pics of me wearing the coat...

3705051944_11e210b563_b.jpg

3704242509_e5f47c613c_b.jpg

3705052982_c6e0c80355_b.jpg

3705052104_d104706b68_b.jpg

3705052800_7739ea1b0b_b.jpg

3705051522_f4852784df_b.jpg

More details…

The measurements I provide to Aero:
Height: 5' 10"
Cheast relaxed: 40 1/2"
Chest expanded: 41 1/4"
Pants waist: 38" (I buy pants size 34)
"True" waist: 37 1/2" (under the rib cage at smallest diameter)
Stomach: 38"
Center back to shoulder: 10"
Center back to elbow: 23"
Center back to wrist: 34"
Shoulder to wrist: 24"
Center to true waist" 17" (under the rib cage at smallest diameter)

I typically wear a size 42 in suits and sports jackets but a size 42 Aero Cheyenne that I initially purchased from the “Aero Sale” page was way too big. My wife is a costume designer and did all the measurements.

The measurements that Aero confirmed with me for the coat order...

SIZE 40
32" BACK LENGTH (from collar seam to bottom of coat)
26" SLEEVE LENGTH
BLACK COTTON DRILL LINING
NO STORM CUFFS
One inside pocket in the leather facing on the left hand side.
Two panel back (no vertical seam) with standard straight Cheyenne yoke.

Advice I would give to anyone ordering a jacket or coat from Aero…
1) Read everything you can find on this forum. If you have a question, ask.
2) Get samples of the leathers you are considering and CONFIRM that the samples are from the exact lot of leather that will be used in the making of your jacket/coat. There is significant lot to lot variation in the brown color from a light brown (very reddish) to a much darker rich brown.
3) Get all the details straight and be specific about what you want AND what you don’t want – storm cuffs, pockets, etc. In my experience, if you do not bring up the details they will not always ask about it.
4) Before you order, run it by the forum members. They might catch something you missed.

Now if only it were not July!

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
Just for comparison of Brown and Vintage Brown, here's a photo of the standard (non-vintage) Brown FQHH Cheyenne (taken with the same camera with flash in about the same lighting). I returned this coat because Aero erroneously added storm cuffs. Since the were remaking the coat anyway, I decided to go with vintage brown instead. The second photo is of the same of that same Brown FQHH Cheyenne (now back at Aero) next to a jacket made of vintage brown FQHH (photo courtesy of Amanda at Aero).

I think HD mentioned that the standard brown leather has a more depth and variation and I would have to agree. I think this may be due (at least in part) to the non-vintage FQHH surface being so smooth and I suspect that it may get closer to the vintage as it ages.

I went with the vintage brown solely for the darker brown color. I would have prefered to go with the standard and do all the breaking in myself but Areo didn't have any of the dark brown "standard" FQHH in stock. It was either wait until the next shipment of leather and hope they had what I wanted or go with the vintage which had the color I liked. I really like what I got.

3705309788_4cd400965e_o.jpg

3672196258_7a54291ffd_b.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Looking good!

One of the best and funniest parts of owning a jacket like this is the look of shock on people's faces when they take your coat from you to hang it up. People are amazed by how heavy they are.

Since you were researching Aeros pre-Lounge, out of interest - how did you first hear about Aero jackets?

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
Mr. 'H' said:
Since you were researching Aeros pre-Lounge, out of interest - how did you first hear about Aero jackets?

I stumbled upon Aero by searching for leather jackets on eBay. I mentioned them to a friend who knows more than me about leather jackets and he knew about Aero and said they were one of the best available. Obviously that was confirmed by the reputation it has among the members here.

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Looking good there Southern! The look of Aero's overcoat styles seems a bit difficult to pull off... but you wear it well.

Wear in good health and enjoy!

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Excellent jacket, southern. :) I am waiting on a similar Veste de Rallye from Aero and can only hope it turns out just as well. I also am a typical size 42 jacket guy that sized down to a size 40 in hopes of getting a slimmer fit (full specs here) so I'm glad to see that yours worked out well.

One question: when you say your back length is 32", what was that measured from? The reason I ask is because I asked Aero for a 32" length back, measured from the collar/back interface of my Highwayman. Seeing as you are 3" taller than me, I hope I didn't make a mistake because I was looking to get a shorter Veste de Rallye -- and yours seems to fit very well in the length department.

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
Ace Rimmer said:
Excellent jacket, southern. :) I am waiting on a similar Veste de Rallye from Aero and can only hope it turns out just as well. I also am a typical size 42 jacket guy that sized down to a size 40 in hopes of getting a slimmer fit (full specs here) so I'm glad to see that yours worked out well.

One question: when you say your back length is 32", what was that measured from? The reason I ask is because I asked Aero for a 32" length back, measured from the collar/back interface of my Highwayman. Seeing as you are 3" taller than me, I hope I didn't make a mistake because I was looking to get a shorter Veste de Rallye -- and yours seems to fit very well in the length department.

Ace,
I just measured and the 32" back length is from the seam at the collar to the end of the coat. Aero did an excellent job with the fit for me so I bet your's will fit well.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Great looking coat Southern, love the nice even color of the hide. Interesting to see the grain showing right out of the box, my Highwayman took quite a bit of wear before this grain began to show. The fit looks spot on too. Many congrats on a superb looking Areo - enjoy!

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Southernwayfare said:
Ace,
I just measured and the 32" back length is from the seam at the collar to the end of the coat. Aero did an excellent job with the fit for me so I bet your's will fit well.

Thanks for the info. I think that's the same measurement as I started from the same point. Maybe you and I have the same torso lengths, who knows. My Highwayman is 24" in the same measurement and it ends about an inch below my belt (and I like it that way). I was figuring my VdR to end a bit below my backside. Oh well, we'll see what happens!

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Oh, yes, Southern, that

is a terriffic coat. That vintage brown HH is something else, like a window into an adventure movie from the 30's. It fits dead on, too. Killer. Thanks for the description, and the pics, and for sharing the journey with us; it heightens appreciation of the final result. :eusa_clap

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
JanSolo said:
Why do you prefer the pocket flaps tucked in?

I'm not the OP but I ordered my Veste de Rallye with jetted pockets (i.e. no pocket flaps).

I'm a bit on the shorter side. Prominent pocket flaps tend to break up my vertical line (which isn't very long to begin with lol). As such, I specified a jetted pocket to try and keep the profile a bit smoother.

We'll see how it turns out!

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
Ace Rimmer said:
I'm not the OP but I ordered my Veste de Rallye with jetted pockets (i.e. no pocket flaps).

I'm a bit on the shorter side. Prominent pocket flaps tend to break up my vertical line (which isn't very long to begin with lol). As such, I specified a jetted pocket to try and keep the profile a bit smoother.

We'll see how it turns out!

I agree that it makes the jacket look a little cleaner. I like the both looks. Don't know which one I'll ended up sticking with.

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
A few pics of my coat after 6 months

Here are a few pictures of my Cheyenne (Vintage Brown FQHH) after 6 months. I wear it every chance I get. The temps have started to dip into the teens here in Boston and I still can't resist grabbing it out of the coat closet in the morning rather than my Schott Peacoat.

4262066845_68bc2c3613_o.jpg

4262819328_9c4c29583a_o.jpg

4262066957_2a0dabeec6_o.jpg

4262067029_6e6a9ca3b1_o.jpg

4262819582_64ef2bc646_o.jpg

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Dude.

It looks incredible.
You can see on the arms that its just gonna look better and better in the years to come.

How does the horsehide feel now? It looks really soft.
Like, if you lift the pocket flap in just its edge, will the whole thing
open or will it bend? :p

bobjones

A-List Customer
Southernwayfare said:
Here are a few pictures of my Cheyenne (Vintage Brown FQHH) after 6 months. I wear it every chance I get. The temps have started to dip into the teens here in Boston and I still can't resist grabbing it out of the coat closet in the morning rather than my Schott Peacoat.

Hey Southern. Have a question for you: around the 3 primary buttons on the front of the jacket, is there a lot of wear around them?

I cannot tell on your jacket if there is any, but mine has a lot of wear around where the button back is inside the outer hide, and I'm curious to see how other jackets with similar buttons are breaking in.

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
GriffDeLaGriff said:
How does the horsehide feel now? It looks really soft.
Like, if you lift the pocket flap in just its edge, will the whole thing
open or will it bend? :p

The hide is a little softer than when I bought it but isn't "really" soft. The pocket flaps are completely stiff. I don't bend them often so I doubt they'll ever get very soft.

bobjones said:
Hey Southern. Have a question for you: around the 3 primary buttons on the front of the jacket, is there a lot of wear around them?

I cannot tell on your jacket if there is any, but mine has a lot of wear around where the button back is inside the outer hide, and I'm curious to see how other jackets with similar buttons are breaking in.

I don't have any wear around the button hole or around the button backs BUT I almost never button the coat. Maybe 2 or 3 times since I've owned it. I'll double check when I get home and post a couple of pics if its helpful.

andy richards

Practically Family
Excellent looks of this fine jacket! I like Aero jackets more when they have been worn a lot. Thanks for the great pictures you shared with us.:eusa_clap
Andy

Steve Canyon

New in Town
A terriffic coat!

Given recent winter conditions, I intent to order a 3 season version with additional dark-brown mouton collar, 2 inside 'gun pockets' with buttons (like the M422A), brown Alpaca wool lining (body AND sleeves) and storm cuffs. Perhaps 2 inches longer.
(And measurements wearing a thick sweater and a winterscarf.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo