Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero color?

sal

One of the Regulars
Hi all,
I am looking at an Aero Teamster. The color choices are many.
I can't figure out what color yet. Any suggestions?
Can anyone tell/show me the difference between the brown,vintage brown,cordovan, and vintage cordovan?
Thanks for your help.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Hi all,
I am looking at an Aero Teamster. The color choices are many.
I can't figure out what color yet. Any suggestions?
Can anyone tell/show me the difference between the brown,vintage brown,cordovan, and vintage cordovan?
Thanks for your help.

The vintage FQHH is a bit thinner, more flexible, and a bit more quickly broken in than the "regular" FQHH. The cordovan has more of a burgundy appearance. I am told that the brown "regular" FQHH is really fantastic looking, maybe the best looking of all of Aero's FQHH. Aero also has a "tumbled" FQHH available that Holly has told me is more flexible than the "regular" FQHH that breaks in more quickly and develops a patina faster than "regular" FQHH. Holly, are you looking?:) FYI Holly posts here from time to time and is a member of the Aero family.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
There is also oil pull FQHH. I have a HWM made of mid weight oil pull HH and it was actually thicker and stiffer than my standard brown FQHH at first. All the oil it's stuffed with I assume.

It's a lovely rich chestnut colour and strangely it doesn't mark up as easily as FQHH. I say strangely because it was supposed to take on wear quicker according to the Aero site. But in fact after four years it shows less marking than a FQHH half its age. It is twice as old but it is now very much softer than the other one too.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Fanch and Cape have covered it pretty comprehensively, though some people have mentioned on here that cordovan can 'bleed', though I'm not sure if this was a batch-specific thing (steer or horse?) rather than a general issue, as it hasn't been raised on the FL for a good while. But it is worth keeping in mind depending on what you intend to use your jacket for and wear it with i.e. a white shirt.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The point that Sloan mentions about cordovan "bleeding through" is a viable concern, although for the life of me I don't understand why that would be restricted to just cordovan and not other colors too. This is a rather interesting thread that I hope Holly will see and make comments before it drifts into obscurity. :sleep:

Peacoat

Bartender
I have an Aero cordovan that doesn't bleed. The Aero regular brown is the best color going. No need to look further. If I get another Aero, that will be the color.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The Aero regular brown is the best color going. No need to look further. If I get another Aero, that will be the color.

Peacoat you are one of many on the FL who have said that the brown FQHH is the best of the best.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The brown (new or vintage) is the perfect the starting point (people will stare in awe, but you'll get used to it :D). I still fancy the cordovan, the bootlegger and radjack look ace, and the Thunderbay with a black mouton would be the bee's knees. Wdw had a really nice teamster in cardovan, there may be some pix elsewhere on the FL.

Last edited:

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Worth the wait, though. And the half-belt will suit it perfectly.

I ordered in November, so I've still got a while. But I look for emails from Holly everyday lol.... 4 to 6 months is the latest word on delivery..
I am confident the jacket will be great... I'm hoping that I look great in it,

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Thanks all
My color choice will be regular brown.
Now I am off to look through a couple of hundred tartans for the lining ;)

I recommend grant weathered. If you search for sloan and LHB, you'll see some shots of it. The benefit is that it's only £25 extra, rather than the full £50 for a non-standard lining.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Sloan, you just beat me to the punch with that one and planned to reference your LHB as well.:D

wdw

One Too Many
As for the bleeding cordovan, my hybrid bled, but my pure-bred Stockman doesn't. I don't remember any recent complaints either, so maybe that problem's gone away, like so many others.

I never understood why it seemed to only ever apply to cordovan, when presumably all hides are tanned the same way.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have a brown Front quarter horse Highwayman, bought new around 8-9 years ago. The colour rubbed off on many a white T shirt for ages. I thought it was Cordovan but when I wore it to the factory last year they told me it was brown. Aero also do a 'Cherry' in Front quarter, I'm not keen though. It is a rather dark purple reddish colour, not sure what the leather would look like after a few years of wear though.
My Black Front quarter Highwayman has also rubbed off a little but not as much as the brown.
J

wild_balls

Practically Family
Hi,

I own two regular brown Aero fqhh jackets. There is quite a difference between them in color, one is very dark, the other one much lighter! Looks like two totally different colors! I will ask for a color sample for the next Aero.

Cheers Joakim

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Sloan, you just beat me to the punch with that one and planned to reference your LHB as well.:D

Great minds think alike! :D

As for the bleeding cordovan, my hybrid bled, but my pure-bred Stockman doesn't. I don't remember any recent complaints either, so maybe that problem's gone away, like so many others.

I wondered about whether it was down to the 'storse' issue. I noticed the complaints about bleeding seemed to have dried up since Ken's returned. Perhaps it's just a coincidence.

Last edited:

Graemsay

Practically Family
Were I to order up a new Aero, it would likely be in Cherry. It's more of a burgundy than it appears on the website, and it ages up beautifully.

There are some photos on page three of the What's wrong with cherry FQHH thread. And if you Google for images of Aero Cherry FQHH you'll find a bunch more pictures.

As for dye transfer, I had a cordovan jacket and never had any trouble. I asked Amanda back when I got it, and she said that the problem was overstated, and Aero wouldn't have offered the hide if it had bled as much as it was reputed to on the forums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner