Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Cow compared with Steer?

I know the difference between a cow & a steer & never had to milk a steer to figure that out.
In the leather used by Aero for jackets, I think I have seen labels of genuine steerhide & genuine cow hide.
Is steer superior to cow if tanned/processed the same way? TIA

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Actually gtdean poses a valid question. I noticed that the blue and green labeled jackets would have a label inside the jacket that says "cow hide" but be listed as steerhide. Maybe Holly will see this question and let us know.

Edward

Bartender
Actually gtdean poses a valid question. I noticed that the blue and green labeled jackets would have a label inside the jacket that says "cow hide" but be listed as steerhide. Maybe Holly will see this question and let us know.

My Highwayman, one of the first batch of "Apprentice Made" jackets, is just that - site said Steer, jacket says cow. I don't have one in the Chrome tanned steer to compare, but fwiw... mine is the same thickness of hide as my FQHH Aeros, while being noticeably softer, with a very different drape. Perfect for the boxier cut, and an ideal combo of an accurate soft drape to the original Lewises, etc in this style, with the extra durability of it being a more durable hide than a lot of those jackets were back in the day.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My Highwayman, one of the first batch of "Apprentice Made" jackets, is just that - site said Steer, jacket says cow. I don't have one in the Chrome tanned steer to compare, but fwiw... mine is the same thickness of hide as my FQHH Aeros, while being noticeably softer, with a very different drape. Perfect for the boxier cut, and an ideal combo of an accurate soft drape to the original Lewises, etc in this style, with the extra durability of it being a more durable hide than a lot of those jackets were back in the day.

Edward, my experience is the same as your's: The soft drape of the cow/steer jacket is much easier on the body than FQHH.

2013-03-03132657.jpg

The black vintage FQHH HWM on the left is heavier and much stiffer than the blue labeled steer/cow HWM on the right with no need of break in right out of the box.

Last edited:
If you went through what they do to steers you'd be pissed off Scott ;-)
lol exactly.Of the jackets I've owned, those labeled as "steer" were softer. Not necessarily thinner, but softer. It may be just differences in marketing terms, but surely an expert knows from one of the gang...

Edward

Bartender
Edward, my experience is the same as your's: The soft drape of the cow/steer jacket is much easier on the body than FQHH.

Yes. I was unsure about it, tbh, when I ordered, but really and truly it does give a much closer look to the vintage jackets than the FQHH in the HWM style. I don't think I'd see it as my hide of choice for a Thirties Halfbelt, but it's nice to have that variety in the wardrobe, IMO.

lol exactly.Of the jackets I've owned, those labeled as "steer" were softer. Not necessarily thinner, but softer. It may be just differences in marketing terms, but surely an expert knows from one of the gang...

When I lived on a farm here in Indiana...we would say 'Look at that herd of cows in the field'..but the closer you got..you could certainly tell the cows from the steers. To me..(female)cowhide is softer than steer(male deballed bull). Now hide from Bull with balls is different as well.
FarmerHD

That is the jist of my question HD = due to the life style & span of a cow versus a steer, is the leather quality different?

You are right about cattle = most folks say "look at those cows" not meaning they are all females....English is such a fun language...

Well..it's whatever you consider quality..I suppose. Cowhide is pretty ordinary..wouldn't you say? Mall jacket common. Steer seems to be a step up for better MC jackets,etc. Probably more resilient in some ways(it is bull). Regular bullhide is indeed tougher than cowhide.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
When I lived on a farm here in Indiana...we would say 'Look at that herd of cows in the field'..but the closer you got..you could certainly tell the cows from the steers. To me..(female)cowhide is softer than steer(male deballed bull). Now hide from Bull with balls is different as well.
FarmerHD

Bullocks.

There is a herd of them in the field next door.

When I lived on a farm here in Indiana...we would say 'Look at that herd of cows in the field'..but the closer you got..you could certainly tell the cows from the steers. To me..(female)cowhide is softer than steer(male deballed bull). Now hide from Bull with balls is different as well. FarmerHD
Funny FHD, I had the opposite with my steer/cow jackets. But maybe Montana mules is different... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy