Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Fit Pics

VictorShadow

One of the Regulars
Howdy Folks,

I purchased an Aero recently and wanted to share with you some of my fits pics and struggles with sizing. Originally, I purchased a Sheene. Thurston Bros. sent me a size 40 Sheene fit jacket. And as you can see in the photos below, I wasn't able to raise my arms without some serious batwings forming under my armpits. So, Carrie and I discussed this and she suggested the Board Racer with a Sheen collar. So, I sent the Sheene back and they sent me a Board Racer fit jacket, also size 40. In the photos below, the Sheene is the one in black, and the BR is the one in brown. So, the BR fit much better, almost perfectly.

I knew at that time that the Board Racer and the Ridley have the same exact fit. So, I had the choice between the two styles. I decided to go with the BR, but then changed my mind and went with the Ridley. I thought, why not wear a jacket with a little flair and attitude. And that's what the Ridley has. And I was also inspired by the old motorcycle jackets of the 1940s and 50s. I was especially inspired by one that I saw on the Vintage Haberdashers blog: http://vintagehaberdashers.com/2014/12/21/1930s-leather-police-motorcycle-jacket/

Anyway, I'm attaching the fit pics below. My question is about sleeve length and body length. I like the look of the old cropped motorcycle jackets. And the fit jacket I tried on is 25.75 inches in body length and 26.5 inches in sleeve length. The body length seems kind of long. I'm wondering if any of you have advice about what the length should be so that it looks more historically accurate.

And BTW, the Ridley I ordered is in Black CXL FQHH, with brown alpaca lining, black cotton drill in the sleeves, moleskin in the pockets, reverse zippers on the handwarmer pockets, cafe racer zips on the sleeves (meaning that they face towards the back), 27.5inch sleeve length and 25.75 inch body length. If you think the sleeve or body should be shorter, please let me know. Thanks.

Sheene1.jpg
Sheene2.jpg
Sheene3.jpg
Sheene4.jpg
BR1.jpg
BR2.jpg
BR3.jpg
BR4.jpg

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
body can stay the same, but with higher main zip, or a bit shorter

sleeve can be a bit longer, at least until the cuff rest around your hand instead of floating

just my opinion

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Sleeves could be 1" longer, keep in mind they get half an inch shorter while break in. Body length Looks well, even though I do not know whether historically accurate.

Pics give great insight on the differences of the pattern of these two styles, this forum definitely needs more arms up in the sky pictures.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
To me the body is a bit long and could be annoying when sitting down.
Sleeves are ok bu could shrink as they crease.
I would go +1" in the sleeves and -1" in the body.
I would also ask them to taper the waist in a bit, it looks like they are a bit big at the waist.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I would also ask them to taper the waist in a bit, it looks like they are a bit big at the waist.
+1 on everything Carlos said
when tapering the waist on longer jacket be careful not to get it stuck on the hip, maybe tapering the back seam too, seems like lower back is too roomy for your build
the chest and pockets config of the brown jacket seems perfect.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That Board Racer is a great fit. If it was 1 inch longer in the arms I'd be trying to convince you to keep it!

+2, for a perfect fit. Perhaps even more on the sleeves, 1.5" - 2".

It does look very good as it is, though. And +1 on what Nick said. XD

Benj

One of the Regulars
**** yeah, those fit you pretty perfectly!

Imo the sleeve length is absolutely perfect, adding 2" would be insane. What's the point of having sleeves that cover your arms? Last I checked if you want your hands covered get some gloves. Personally, I hate the feeling of sleeves constantly pressing on my palm, and I think it ruins the clean line of the arm when it's straight down and then you just see bunching at the hand.

Personally if I were you I might want to go for a bit smaller in the body since it seems you're a pretty skinny guy, this may be exaggerated that your pants also look relatively slim.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think the fitted design(s) of the cafe racer and board racer are particularly difficult to attain - not much room for error on either side of the equation. IMO the sleeves of both jackets are at least 1" too short. I concur with Benj's assessment of tapering the BR for a more fitted look and feel. I think the bat wing effect of the cafe racer is due to a basic design difference between the CR and BR. I'm sure you'll work out the kinks.

Benj

One of the Regulars
I'm curious, why is it on this forum that if sleeves end right where the hand starts, that's considered too short? And a "perfect" length is a sleeve that rests around the beginning of the thumb?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I'm curious, why is it on this forum that if sleeves end right where the hand starts, that's considered too short? And a "perfect" length is a sleeve that rests around the beginning of the thumb?

Of course sleeve length is all about personal preference. Like the OP I also have long arms and hate "stork arms" appearance. My "sweet spot" is halfway between my wrist joint and thumb knuckle. A sleeve that rests around the beginning of the thumb is too long for my taste.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here

While I'm not into the sleeves down to your thumb (or past) look, with thick leather jackets the sleeve will effectively shorten 0.5 to 1 full inch from the leather creasing at the elbows.

If the fit jacket hits where you want it too when new, it will end up too short after a little wear.

A lot of people here (myself included) ride motorbikes and if you plan to wear the jacket while riding sometimes, you also need a little extra length in the sleeve so when in the riding position, the sleeve still covers your arm properly.

Others here just like the long sleeve look.

If the sleeve is a little too long, it will usually just crease up a touch more and still end up where you like it but if its too short...your outta luck, nothing you can do.

Cooperson

One Too Many
As others have said, body looks good but I would be looking for +1" on the sleeves. All subjective though, the main thing is, what do you feel would be right for you to feel comfortable? Go with that.

VictorShadow

One of the Regulars
Thank you all for your input. What feels best to me is to add 1 inch to the sleeve and keep the body length as is, thus the final figures:

27.5 inch sleeves
25.75 inch body

I did consider tapering the waist, but decided not to get into that territory and sabotage the design of the jacket. I don't mind a little extra room in the waist area.

I was inspired by the way this jacket fits the model. Not short like the vintage jackets, but still pretty damn cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 629

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24