Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero HWY fit

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
Hello Folks. I'm wondering if there are any Highwaymen owners out there who could find the time to post a pic of their jackets whilst wearing them with the zip 3/4 or all the way up and their arms raised straight out to the sides.

I have a unique problem. My jacket, which I received June before last HAS to be the most ridiculous interpretation of my measurements that could possibly be. The armpits are incredibly low. Had I lats of some Olympia titleholder the space might be filled. Otherwise there's all this extra leather doing nothing but bunching up and looking really bad. To say nothing of inhibited movement..

Being a first time customer and listening to the stories of the revered Heavy Horsehide I thought to myself, this is just going to be a time and break-in thing. It was not. This was a vast mistake. The jacket is well worn in and when my arms are out to the sides the underside of the pit comes 1/2 way down my bicep. All my other jackets, even the vintage ones are NOWHERE near this. I look like a flying squirrel when my arms out like that. Not that they're out in that position often. It's not the look at all that's the problem. It's the same mechanics involved as those low kids pants of a few years ago. Crotch 1/2 way to the knees. How practical were they when one needed to actually move in comfort??? Same thing...my arm motion is abbreviated. ridiculously so.

The armpits are simply much too low. I would like comparable poses to see how buggered mine really is. It's been some time and I expect I'll be contacting Aero tho I think too much time has passed for any resolution. Never mind my waiting for the 'break in', 'mould to my form' concept. I'm mighty blue about this and it's pretty well soured me. I'll add a pic as soon as possible. You guys need to see this. Boxy fit aside this was obviously a gross mistake. It's a great hide otherwise. Should be good protection if I take up gliding.

I'll add a few vintage jacket pics so you can see the problem in comparison with similarly styled jackets. In the mean time please, if one has the time a pic?

Dav

One Too Many
Does this help?
2010-09-0908-55-32994.jpg

Sorry about quality, best I could do with webcam.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
I'll post some pics of my Highwayman for you when I get home. From what you describe it certainly sounds like a problem with the fit.

To be fair, I specified a taper for my Highwayman when I ordered it. I have a rather large drop and did not want to have the feeling of wearing a pillowcase. As such, Aero reduced the size of my jacket's waist to my specs (with the buckles done up). This permits me the flexibility of letting out the waist in case I eat too much pizza. lol

PS must kill moose and squirrel.

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53799336@N05/4977763619/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53799336@N05/4977760379/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53799336@N05/4978367164/in/photostream/

Sorry, my computer whiz is out for the evening. Hopefully these can be pasted? Anyway hopefully these give an indication of the problem. The white stickie tags indicated where my armspits are. The sleeve comparison shows that altho the sleeve length on both jackets is the same when wearing them,[just above knuckles] the measured underside from the pit to cuff is a good 2 inches shorter on the HWM. This indicate the pit is way away from where it should have been.The shoulders fit, the sleeves are the right length, the belly is fine. The chest has much too much material hence the armholes are way away from where they should be. This can't be fixed even with new sleeves. The armholes on the body were cut too low and the resulting attached sleeves made this what it is. A useless mess. I cannot move my arms. I realize I'm sounding like sour grapes and so on but I'd like some feedback.

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
hwm fit

This is a 46. I'm 5'9" or 175cm., 210 lbs with a 45 inch chest relaxed. With the exception of a few 48 vintage 40s/50s horse jackets all my leathers are 46. This jacket should have worked. As I said earlier, at the time I received it and after hearing about stiffness, break in time, etc. I supposed it was just a time thing. Not until I found bugger all diff. in arm movement after time, did I start measuring/comparing with other jackets. My crude photos/descript. don't show justice to this mess-up. I will be contacting Aero with better shots and documentation/description. Too late? Likely. I won't be wearing this one again. I ordered a practical jacket. Not one to stand up and not move in. Altho it looks ok if I just do that. This is not a complaint about heavy horsehide after the fact in case folks are wondering. I love the stuff and have a few vintage HH that one would swear had bricks in the pockets they're so heavy and sturdy. This? This is a buggerup. Only the making. NOT the materials. Please opine and/or show a comparable pic.

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
Appreciate the time and photo Dav. Looking at the seam where the sleeve enters the body it looks like it should. I should measure the circumference of the arm hole when speaking to Aero. It's absolutely massive compared to any similar jacket I own. That's what produced the low pit and hindered arm movement I'm coming to think. Nice fittin' on ya....gee wish I had one...[huh] Take care and thanks again.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Many leather jackets fit like that. Normal. It even has a name - the flying squirel effect. Yours fits okay: I've seen a number of Aeros with low armholes just like yours.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
The fit is not as bad I thought it would be judging by the photo. However, I do see your point. Looks like the upper torso is a bit big on you. Shoulder droop off your natural shoulder is an indicator of this.

I say send it back. I'd expect a perfect fit for a custom job and at Aero's $$$$.

I've had good results building custom jackets by supplying measurements based on an existing jacket that fits well. When supplying body measurements, it leaves too much to chance for interpretation. For example, here's what I sent the tailors for a cafe custom fitted to me. Again, dimensions are based on the JACKET and not my body.

Untitled-11.jpg

Windward

Practically Family
Johnnynotoes said:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53799336@N05/4978102977/

Here's the dear sweetheart. Looks not too bad in this shot. Be fine were I a bloody mannequin. Apologies for the facial exp. I have a grump on whenever I think about this thing.

Johnny - this is how a Highwayman should look/fit just great!!!!
The other jacket looks like a Windward with A-2 style Pockets - am I right?
You also wear a men-size like I do . . . .:)
Welcome
Windward

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hey Johnny;
I think you look great in your Highwayman, good fit. I thought I had the same problem when I got my Highwayman, but I had to realize it is a heavy jacket and it will rise like that especially zippered. I leave it unzipped when I drive. I'm conscious of it and it really doesn't bother me, but that's me.
Again, it looks like it's a good fit.
The researched and provided thread by Cooperson should help you feel more at ease with it........remember it's a substantial weight and thick jacket.
Enjoy and best regards, coffee

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
The sleeves are of my Windward steer and the Aero. The sleeve length whilst wearing each jacket is as I said identical. When the shoulders seams are lined up as in the photo the Aero appears much shorter. This Aero could be worn if one had a Schwartzenegger chest and the arms of Katie Perry!! My apologies for not having that photobucket acct. and proper focus in describing the situation. Please have a look at the shots. In one it lookslike I'm pulling on the sleeves. I'm not. The other pic with my palm open is virtually the same. Well that's it. I guess it's on to another project. Another Aero??? Yes...this time it'll be better planned. I'm sour all right but willing to write this one off as ...we all know this one...s**t happens. Disappointing but I know the jackets ARE unbeatable. Maybe mine wz built during the 'expansion'? Maybe a rookie hot off the training machines??? It WAS around the time of all those trainee sale items...ANYWAY FOLKS... t'is the season for the hides. Crisper days are coming and I'm looking forward.

Dav

One Too Many
Yes Johnny they can be seen now, to be honest that flying squirrel effect is more than on mine but not that much, I thought that was the boxy fit I keep hearing about, the manikin shot above looks fine to me.
PS Johnny if you drag the IMG code in photobucket instead of the html code your pics should appear instantly.
Hope that helps.

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
The white marks in the one shot approximate where my armpits are. And I was erring on the side of generous because I realize a jackets pit isn't bar tight. This jacket would have no problem ever with sweaty stained pit areas e'en if th' thing reaches 50 yar old. This jackets pits come no-where near an actual armpit. Arghhh. Instead of gnashing and thrashing in disgust again I think I'll go eat some asphalt...in my off the rack 614H Schott! Heh...decent jac that one...only for cycle mind you but fits like it's supposed to. Perfect! I think my next new jacket[most of mine are vintage utility style] will *gulp* be yet another Highwayman but with some mods as well. Some guys here have had great ideas. Action back will be one. A lot of work and seamage goin' on but near essential if one needs to actually do anything in Aeros heavy horse. I'll put up with the breakin. I enjoy the armorlike weight and feel. And it'll be ultimately satisfactory if the thing is measured properly to begin with. Heh...it kills me when people heft some of my horsehides. 'What the hell is this thing made of'??!! The Highwayman in particular is one of the heaviest. Certainly the heaviest waist length horse I own. I have a cow cafe thats heavier but it's just monster thick cow with not much visual appeal. My cold weather rider. Ahhh... Aero, I'll be back...regardless of the fate of this jacket. Who can resist? Damn blast etc. The next outing will be scrutinized/analyzed and measured properly. And measured again. Thrice...??? Probably.

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
Thanks Windward. Yes but I had hoped to be fairly active in the jacket and the impediments due to the sleeve problems make it useless to me. The other jac is indeed a Windward steer. Quilted lining perfect and in quite good shape. Fits great and no problems moving. har to find these in a bigger size so I'm always looking. I should post my latest find. I took a quick shot yest. when taking the hym pics. 3/4 virtually mint Horse with a mouton collar and shearling lined. Near fell over when I received it. Sz 48 which in vintage fits me well. From a lad in Texas who didn't realize what he was selling for the price. There were no bids and I made an offer before one came in. :p nasty p'raps but effective for us hunters. Pardon the pic quality. I do have a decent camera here somewhere. My photographer wasn't up to the challenge and everyone was out so cell it was.
horseshearlinglined.jpg

Cooperson

One Too Many
Hello Johnny - I can understand your disappointment, but, the low armholes do seem to be a feature with some Aero's. I don't think the person who put it together (trainee or not) would have had an influence on how it looks, as the pattern would have already been cut out before being passed to the machinist. If you're really not going to wear it and the jacket looked 'fresh out the box', I would have suggested returning it. However, as looks well broken in, I think your best bet would be ebay if you want to to recoup some money to fund your next project.

As for the next project, I know Aero will modify chest size and sleeve length etc. but I'm not sure about them changing the basic pattern of a jacket to give your higher cut arm holes. I may be wrong, but If that is the case it might be worth speaking to Amanda or Will to find a pattern with the higher cut arms - I suspect it might be 1930's half belt but I'm not sure.

Hope you manage to sort it out.

Cheers

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy