Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero/Insurrection Dustbowl

pauleway

Practically Family
nabottle it's a beautiful jacket and if you're happy with it that really is the only thing that matters.

But whilst Aerophiles will tell you its the bees knees till the cows come home, if I was you I'd be asking myself am I happy with this length?

After all, this is intended to be a short fitting jacket. I don't mean to be unkind in any way - people should always be encouraged to share their photos and I am grateful to you for sharing yours - which is why I will give you my honest impression now at the risk of it being badly received. Buddy, IMHO, I think it's a few inches too long. At the front and back it should just about barely cover your belt, but it looks like yours has a few inches of overhang. Perhaps that's how you like it? In which case, nevermind me and my backside blowhole! Enjoy it

I think it is the angle of the camera (sitting high) that is giving a distorted perception of the front and back length of the jacket. Taking that into prespective, the length looks pretty good to me!

wdw

One Too Many
Actually, no. That equates to about a 43. 23.5x2=47. 47-4=43. It's a retry decent formula. :)25x2 would be a 46.

Oops, got my sums a bit wrong. Was thinking 22.5x2.

My experience of civilian Aeros shows a chest size +6 or even +8 for P2P, as others have also commented. I know the 30s HB is narrower, but I don't know where the DB sits in the scale of things. Sounds like it's similar to the 30s.

Hmm. I've seen some pics like that, but I've ever had an Aero that much larger than the tags. That said, I think the big American cut has been typical for a while. Seems more and more folks wanting a trimmer look. That I'm happy about. I i used to like those sacks too. No longer ;)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Congratulations!
Thanks for putting the pics up.
This has me thinking- If Thurston Bros fills 30 orders a month, then I expect no less than 5-10 monthly showcases from FL members. Can you imagine how juicy this place would get?!

Congratulations! Thanks for putting the pics up.This has me thinking- If Thurston Bros fills 30 orders a month, then I expect no less than 5-10 monthly showcases from FL members. Can you imagine how juicy this place would get?!
No, you'll just get more people b*tching about "Aero lovers". So be it. I like that these guys are ordering trimmer Aeros as I think more folks will like them. Also new models and colors. I hope to see some of those too.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Very nice, even coloured hide. Good to see some more pics of the Dustbowl being worn. Seriously considering this pattern myself. Enjoy the break in.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Great jacket nabottle! Looks spectacular!

This is a great example of using an Aero fit jacket to determine exactly the body and sleeve length that you want. We send customers fit jackets to ensure that they get the proper Aero body size, given the jacket model, but also to determine the exact lengths that will work best for that particular customer. For example, this Aero Dustbowl has a 26 inch body length, but a 24 inch body length would have been possible also...it's all up to what the customer desires!

wanz

One of the Regulars
nabottle, I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread. I thought it might be useful to show some variations on this jacket. I went with tumbled black FQHH. The pictures don't do a great job capturing its character (I was struggling with light in the photos today). It also looks like I chose slightly different hardware. The eagle-eyed amongst you might also notice that the chest pocket is parallel to the front yoke. Apparently this is a change Aero is making to the pattern (I was contacted before the change was made).

I also included my jacket in this thread because of the discussion on fit. I am 6'2" 195lbs. I ordered a 42 as well, but had length added to the jacket and the sleeves. It's great that Aero and Insurrection offer that type of flexibility. I am not an expert on vintage leather jackets, but it seems like if nabottle and I had purchased our jackets in the 1930s our only choice would have been a standard 42. It seems like the result would have been a very different fit on each of us. One final thought on fit... in editing these pictures, I realize that I need to adjust straps to achieve a more fitted look.

Leather: Tumbled FQHH.
Hardware: Aged Brass Hookless zip / diamond pull on the chest pocket
Customer Service: I also ordered through Insurrection. They had great communication throughout the process. All of my future Aero orders will go through them.
Delivery Time: I placed my order April 7 and the jacket arrived Thursday.

And some pictures...

theundeadkennedy

One of the Regulars
Nice. You have a great collection Wanz. I love both versions of this jacket that have been featured on this thread. I plan on getting a dust bowl at some point because of this thread. Thanks!

schitzo

Suspended
looking good Wanz

I notice you're the same height as I am, which makes me wonder how long it is? I guess it's 25 - 25.5", am I warm?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart