Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Irvin BoB Fit?

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Any of you guys have experience on how they fit? Specifically size 40/42. Actual measurement would be great as well. Im assuming these are built/sized to account for the shearling width inside so no need to size up from one's usual Aero tag size?

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Any of you guys have experience on how they fit? Specifically size 40/42. Actual measurement would be great as well. Im assuming these are built/sized to account for the shearling width inside so no need to size up from one's usual Aero tag size?
I don't know if this gonna help but when I visited Galashiels 3 years ago I tried a size 38 on and fitted me great. For comparison: From Aero I own a size 40 30's HB, a size 38 Mariner, a size 38 LHB, a size 36 Happy Days, a size 40 Shackleton and a size 38 B-3.
usually you don't have to size up; my LHB is shearling lined (custom) and they actually use the patterns of size 40 to accommodate the thick lining.
My advice: contact Aero or if you live in the US use Thurston.
Good Luck in any case!

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Actually that helps a lot. I'm a 40 in Teamster, LHB, Northeaster and a 42 in the Sunburst. Oddly a 44 in M422a. But Im thinking a 40 Irvin would be the safe choice. Not like Im trying to layer a wool sweater under shearling. At most a long sleeve thermal type shirt.

Dav

One Too Many
This is my pre-war version, I'd assume sizing is the same for the BoB model as my other black fleece one is of similar dimensions.
This is a size 42 and I'm a 42" chest, jacket is a good fit with a shirt/t-shirt but imo needs to be 44 to get a sweater under in comfort.
IMG_20190821_152909-1689x2252.jpg
IMG_20190821_152943-1689x2252.jpg
IMG_20190821_153259-1824x1368.jpg
IMG_20190821_153252-1824x1368.jpg
IMG_20190821_153402-1368x1824.jpg
IMG_20190821_153359-1368x1824.jpg

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Beautiful jacket! Think it was actually yours that made me itch for one of these. Curious to see how I like it versus my D1. While I know Ill miss the pockets, I think that waist belt must be pretty functional when the temp drops/wind kicks up.

What's the shoulder measure if you don't mind checking?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn’t worry about an Irvin being a bit bigger than you’re used to. They tend to look better and feel warmer - check out the pics. I’ve tried on ones that fit and weirdly they can feel a feel a bit restrictive compared to looser ones

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
I own a pre war aero irvin, same as Dav's, I was a 38 in the highwayman which is more a 40 chest and im squarely between 40 and 42 in every other jacket so im around a 41" inch chest in real terms. I went for a 42 irvin and its absolutely perfect, I definitely wouldnt want to size down. If you are a 42 nudging a 44 I would size up but if you are a 40 in most of aeros standard styles, and 42 in others, a 42 irvin is a safe bet, its a very forgiving style of jacket and you can size up without it radically changing the fit but if you size down it will get restrictive.

Reactions: Dav

Edward

Bartender
Adding to comments above, I would say that these definitely have more the the historically correct 'look' if worn a little big - maybe a size or so (remember, they were designed to fit over the top of full RAF uniform, and pair with a matching set of trousers).

If you miss pockets, carry a bag - or, if you're not wearing a sweater, one of my favourite looks in Winter is a shirt and tie with four-pocket waistcoat underneather - plenty of space then for pens, phones, whatever.

For best sizing advice, either contact Holly at Aero or, if you are in the US and plan to go via Thurstons, Carrie.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
So I found a stockist who happened to have a 40 laying around and I’m kind of seeing what Sloan meant. The jacket fits properly everywhere except for the chest/upper back. It does feel oddly restrictive when worn semi open. Might be due to the multiple seems on this pattern vs say a D1. Do you guys think this will relax/stretch as it breaks in and will the shearling compress ? I just think I’ll be swimming in the 42 at 5’9 160.

5F816CB5-0B86-4DEA-8624-2F68AF34B43B.jpeg
170C03A7-0128-4162-88F0-C6786EA4903F.jpeg
C9C383D2-65D6-44DC-A5D3-C6363542CE43.jpeg

Harris HTM

One Too Many
So I found a stockist who happened to have a 40 laying around and I’m kind of seeing what Sloan meant. The jacket fits properly everywhere except for the chest/upper back. It does feel oddly restrictive when worn semi open. Might be due to the multiple seems on this pattern vs say a D1. Do you guys think this will relax/stretch as it breaks in and will the shearling compress ? I just think I’ll be swimming in the 42 at 5’9 160.

View attachment 181995 View attachment 181996 View attachment 181997
I think a 42 would look too big, but it's your jacket, the right fit is the one you feel comfortable with.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Pics with a thick thermal shirt underneath it’s a bit tight across the back / underarm. T-shirt is good. This was also kind of a close-out price model so exchange for 42 isn’t possible. Just refund or hope the inner fur mats down and gives me a little more room? What says the lounge??

F6DD72B9-F0B4-4882-8C91-7AF682CFD717.jpeg
7EB55D4B-D0E6-4D46-BA58-333CCFD82A93.jpeg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I'd try going up a size. Dav's pre-war is an ideal fit, to my eyes. Here's mine: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/new-aero-multi-panel-irvin-pic-heavy.73990/
I kept the sleeves at the same length, they shortened a bit over time, but they've never caused me any problems. Irvins do soften over time as the fleece beds in and takes the shape of your body. It's my go-to winter jacket when I get to December - I have a D-1, which is great but I find the Irvin gives me more insulation from the elements.

dubpynchon

One Too Many
Pics with a thick thermal shirt underneath it’s a bit tight across the back / underarm. T-shirt is good. This was also kind of a close-out price model so exchange for 42 isn’t possible. Just refund or hope the inner fur mats down and gives me a little more room? What says the lounge??

View attachment 182088 View attachment 182089
Some nice bobbly looking fleece on this one. I don't usually like the thinner fleece of Aero's Irvin but this one looks good. I'd size up as well, I think they look better a bit bigger.

Deacon211

One Too Many
It’s a great looking jacket and it looks as though it fits you perfectly.

One rhetorical question: Are you really going to be wearing a big thermal shirt under this jacket?

I can wear my ELC Irvin in 20F with a casual shirt or t-shirt and, if I’m cold, it’s not in the torso! LOL.

Personal temperature tastes notwithstanding of course. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
What you're going to be wearing under it matters a lot. There last thing you want to do is end up with an expensive sheepskin you almost never wear because it's too small to go over your Winter clothes, and too warm for t-shirt-only-underneath weather. Personally, I like to wear either a shirt and waistcoat, or a shirt plus heavy sweater or cardigan under mine. Try to try one on with what you'd wear it with at the time of year - you might find yourself sizing up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB