Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero jacket re-lining?

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
Alpaca turns out to be too warm for my horsehide highwayman. I'm looking to get it declined in cotton drill. Has anyone had a good experience getting theirs relined in the U.S.?

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I had two Aero jackets done through US Authentics. One was relined in their quilted black lining and another was relined in some herringbone wool fabric that I provided (real cheap off ebay). Shaul even sewed in an inner chest pocket on the black one at my request. He's a good guy, does excellent work and offers quick turnaround. I think it cost about $90.

BTW - the one I had relined with herringbone was to replace alpaca.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
but since the jacket started with a thick lining, wouldn't it be too roomy once it is relined with thin/ simple lining?

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
A little extra room should be fine, a good point though. I am a bit between posting the highwayman with alpaca for sale in the fall vs. getting it relined at this point. Aero would certainly do the finest job, but with shipping both ways it comes to $250....almost 1/2 of what I paid for it! It's hard to let go when the measurements fit me however! We all know what a holy grail that can be!

pawineguy

One Too Many
A little extra room should be fine, a good point though. I am a bit between posting the highwayman with alpaca for sale in the fall vs. getting it relined at this point. Aero would certainly do the finest job, but with shipping both ways it comes to $250....almost 1/2 of what I paid for it! It's hard to let go when the measurements fit me however! We all know what a holy grail that can be!

The difference between alpaca and a thinner liner is measured in millimeters (or fractions of millimeters). I don't think you will notice a big difference at all, if the jacket already fits you well. And if it does, hold onto that, we all know how hard it is sometimes to find a jacket that fits really well.

technovox

One Too Many
Johnson Leathers just relined a vintage Harley Sportster One Pocket Horsehide cafe racer for me. Did an excellent job. And very reasonable too. Worth considering.

53Effie

A-List Customer
I have had Johnson Leathers reline two of my Aero jackets The results have been excellent at reasonable prices. Highly recommend them.

Edward

Bartender
The difference between alpaca and a thinner liner is measured in millimeters (or fractions of millimeters). I don't think you will notice a big difference at all, if the jacket already fits you well. And if it does, hold onto that, we all know how hard it is sometimes to find a jacket that fits really well.

Agreed; the only liner I'd really worry about it making a noticeable difference would be if you were replacing sheepskin or something equally thick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner