Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero leather choices/options (End of 2022)

Edward

Bartender
@Edward
Yeah, but according to some other reports that I've read, which were more related to social attitudes towards leather, not that many people know that it is a by-product. A lot of people avoid leather and go for vegan alternatives because they think animals are killed specifically for leather.

Here is the Baltics eating goat mean is basically unheard of. Maybe in very poor rural farms.

That's very true, awareness of this aspect varies. And probably with goat not being more common across Europe, it's precisely because it's a much less commonly eaten meat here.

TBH, it doesn't surprise me that a lot of people aren't aware of the by-product thing; even in a country as small as England, I'm told there are kids in cities here who have no real idea where meat comes from, or who have never seen a cow in real life. Which blows my mind, having grown up in the countryside in Ireland, but...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@TartuWolf
Current batch of brown CXL Steerhide. Not too thick, average 3.25oz maybe. Very pliable from day one. I would go with the CXL Steerhide over the FQHH at this point. I had this same jacket in brown CXL FQHH it was about the same thickness but much stiffer. CXL Steerhide is way better in the sense that it needs no break in like the FQHH.
IMG_2735.JPG
IMG_2736.JPG

Aero also seemed to have upgraded their sewing machines. Or just my speculation. Check out Thurston's photos too for comparison.
IMG_2787.JPG

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Canuck Panda
Thanks for the update and the advice.
As someone who has never had to break in any jacket I would rather like to experience that process.
That's why I want rather stiffer leather.
You know - to try the other extreme from soft and limp mall jackets.
Veterans will probably scoff and sneer at such foolishness, but each one has to go through their own learning process right?
Your new highwayman looks absolutely lovely though, looking forward to a full review and fit photos!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@Canuck Panda
As someone who has never had to break in any jacket I would rather like to experience that process.
Veterans will probably scoff and sneer at such foolishness, but each one has to go through their own learning process right?
Your new highwayman looks absolutely lovely though, looking forward to a full review and fit photos!
FQHH!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
@Canuck Panda

Not foolish at all. Always enjoyed the break-in.

I came to TFL when CXL FQHH was considered to be THE ultimate leather, so I basically had my first experiences with “real“ leather jackets with it. Still one of the most impressive hides for me.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Hey folks!
New idea for TFL : Breaking in leather samples!
So I took my favorite leather sample that I got from Aero and my favorite one from SB.
Crumpled and moved them between my hands for the whole day to see how if will look after some time of wearing the jacket. Kind of to simulate all the bending, rubbing and stretching.
Here are some photos with:
- Bottom : Aero brown FQHH fresh
- Middle : Aero brown FQHH broken-in
- Top : SB Rancho/Ranchero HH broken-in (look almost the same fresh)
The Aero FQHH became much more supple and soft but is still firmer and holds it's shape better than the SB sample.
The grain/texture is also very different. But the color ended up very similar.
Also the Aero samples came from different batches and have slightly different color.

I have to say that I'm really fond of the SB Rancho/Ranchero HH, looks and feels almost as good the Aero Brown FQHH.
1678258367848.png

1678258377441.png

1678258390524.png

1678258401821.png

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Canuck Panda
It's CXL FQHH.
I would also pick it as my top from those 3 (bottom one is the same, but without the breaking in and from a different batch color wise).
But the SB HH is a close second, looks and feels great. Wish it was slightly stiffer/thicker. Then it would be perfect. At least in comparison the the Aero CXL FQHH that I have under it.

jglf

A-List Customer
Anyone know what is the Thurston bro's vancouver cowhide sourced from?

What are the characteristic?
It’s a full grain chrome tanned leather from Italy. Very soft and grainy and I would say it is around 2.5 oz. What I don’t like about mine is that there is a very shiny coating on the leather, and it took about 3 applications of deglazer to remove most of it. This pic is with the coating still on it.
FA3C3B80-726E-44AE-82FD-2ED59247C8D2.jpeg

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It’s a full grain chrome tanned leather from Italy. Very soft and grainy and I would say it is around 2.5 oz. What I don’t like about mine is that there is a very shiny coating on the leather, and it took about 3 applications of deglazer to remove most of it. This pic is with the coating still on it.
View attachment 504719

This looks way better than the marketing photos.

I think I might be the only person here who likes leather with sheen…

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
It’s a full grain chrome tanned leather from Italy.
What makes your think that? When I think of Italian leather I think of vegetable tanned leather from the Tuscany region.

"Our Vancouver bovine comes to us from an Old-World firm currently in its fifth generation of production. Tanned with only the purest waters from the neighboring mountains, the oil and wax finishing process highlights the natural beauty of full grain premium English bull hides. With a lively pull-up effect that enhances the appeal of the leather’s grain and richness, Vancouver is simply stunning. Extensive grain and color variation, along with incredibly rich colors, characterize this 1.2mm mineral (chrome)-tanned aniline leather. Vancouver will patina extensively with wear and the natural characteristics of the full grain hide will be visible from day one. "

Sound more like England than Italy?

jglf

A-List Customer
What makes your think that? When I think of Italian leather I think of vegetable tanned leather from the Tuscany region.

"Our Vancouver bovine comes to us from an Old-World firm currently in its fifth generation of production. Tanned with only the purest waters from the neighboring mountains, the oil and wax finishing process highlights the natural beauty of full grain premium English bull hides. With a lively pull-up effect that enhances the appeal of the leather’s grain and richness, Vancouver is simply stunning. Extensive grain and color variation, along with incredibly rich colors, characterize this 1.2mm mineral (chrome)-tanned aniline leather. Vancouver will patina extensively with wear and the natural characteristics of the full grain hide will be visible from day one. "

Sound more like England than Italy?
From Thurston thread: “Vancouver will patina extensively with wear and the natural characteristics of the full grain hide will be visible from day one.”

Italian tannery is stated on one of their Facebook posts.
9FEDB087-9115-43A3-96F8-71F4248FF449.png

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@DamonCyclee For Aero jackets I believe their range of leather is wide enough, from Badalassi to CXL and everything in between. There is not a lot of advantage of swapping out for the Thurston house hide from Italy.
To fully take advantage of Thurston's house hides I'd go the custom Vanson route like jglf. Thurston seems to have a better way of getting custom jackets from Vanson and Vanson's house hides are kinda plain (basic pigmented motochap stuff), so the Italian imports is gonna be an upgrade.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 504719
I like it. I think the gloss is pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112