Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aero leather. or eastman

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What criteria do you want to use? Range of jackets, authenticity of repro jackets, build quality, cost, choice of leather, customer service, etc.........

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If its A2s, then its originals followed by Good Wear! It is generally accepted by those who are familiar with original A2s that John Chapman makes the most accurate repro A2s available. In terms of A2s Eastman make more accurate ones than Aero.

too much coffee

Practically Family
nogbat,
Trust me on this; here's what you need to do. Get hold of John Chapman at GoodWear and requisition your A-2. Then call Amanda at Aero and discuss buiding your A-2, it won't be as accurate as the GoodWear but you will have a gorgeous A-2 with modern heavy horsehide, built like a tank and has the options (pockets, lining, hides, etc...) you may desire.

When the Aero is finished, take a couple of days off of work and drive up to Scotland to fetch it. When the GoodWear is delivered to you, you will have 2 great A-2s that take a back seat to no other A-2 jackets. Sure it's expensive but it's inevitable; once your bitten by the A-2 bug you will spend lots of money(ask me how I know this!) looking for "that one special A-2 jacket." All you're doing is circumventing this process and in the meantime you have your 2 daily wearers that you will continue to admire.

Good luck...............coffee out

P.S.: Andrew and Alan, the first responders to your post, KNOW their A-2 jackets. They've been in the A-2 game a long time.

Again, what kind of jacket?

One thing to keep in mind..
Eastman, unlike Goodwear and Aero, does not custom manufacture their jackets to your measurements. You will get a top notch product from Eastman...but it will be "off the rack".

If you are a "perfect" size...whatever...that won't be a problem.
If you are built like the rest of us...a bit taller/shorter, skinnier/"fuller" ;) arms a bit longer/shorter than the norm, that may be an important consideration.

If talking down to the stitch accurate A2 reproduction, I'd go Goodwear.
Other jacket style, Aero.
Custom fit not an issue with you...and not going Goodwear A2, I'd consider Eastman also. Particularly if thinking about a style Aero does not offer. (Irvin, Luftwaffe)

442RCT

One of the Regulars
I like both ELC and Aero equally. ;) I've never been a stickler for authenticity, IMHO they are both well made jackets. With that being said, I pretty much like any decently made A-2 'styled' jacket; Sefton, Protech, Avirex, US Authentic, Aviation Leathercraft, etc. shhhhhhhh

too much coffee

Practically Family

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
In terms of ELC, from my personal experience they will only do extra length to the body and sleeves in terms of "customisation" and will only make up to around size 48'' I believe.

I have one of their 1940 Pattern Irvins and love it.

Edward

Bartender
It has already been pointed out that the very best A2 repros are made by John at Goodwear, though with the weak pound against the dollar, they are expensive for us, no getting around that. If you want to spend a little less / buy in the UK, Eastman are very good. OTOH, if you're not concerned about having a jacket that's totally accurate, but rather somehing to wear as a period-looking civilian jacket (whether based on military design or otherwise), it's hard to look past Aero, especially with the likes of their Real Deal model A2 at a very competitive price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn