Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero listed as a cheap brand to avoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanz

One of the Regulars
-it was written a long time ago
-"insta-swag" should stop following the guide right after that.:p
You hit on two of my immediate reactions along with...
- If it was recent it would be interesting to post David Bowie's jacket by Ken Calder to see if it had adequate "swag"
- I liked imagining in the 3+ years since the post the OP has matured to the point that he came to this forum on advice on which jacket to purchase.
- The tldr was to buy from Temple of Jawnz. I don't follow these things closely but I thought that I saw that they turned into a bit of a dumpster fire.

I did get a few laughs from it though!

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
The quality of the article can be seen from how they simply lumped cowhide, steerhide and horsehide in a single category with a two sentence synopsis.

AdeeC

Practically Family
Actually I expect he was writing about another lower end Aero brand. I see them listed on eBay sometimes on the Aero Leathers pages.
He links the Aero website we know well. If as you say, he is very sloppy with his links.

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
He links the Aero website we know well. If as you say, he is very sloppy with his links.

Yes I noticed that so deleted my post. He may have confused it with the other brand which turns up on eBay. Can’t see how he would be conflating £700 jackets with the cheap stuff the other posters there were talking about. Even if he thought they were crap he must have known they were not in Wilsons price range.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Well, judging from his list of 'high-end' brands, I wouldn't be surprised that he is some kind of a college student who pretend to be adult. I bet that this is from the very 'Stylish" forum next door. And then he refers the designer brands as "fashion status symbol", there is no need to explain further.

But then again, we have to remember that we are just a small niche here, and elsewhere on the web, there are still thousands (if not millions) of people who just think like the person who wrote the guide. Just slap a Dior label on a Wilson jacket and they will tell you it is great, trust me.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I do indeed believe that this originated from the Styleforum(dot net) forum, at least thats where I remember reading it five or more years ago. Kind of funny but they do seem to be label and fashion driven as opposed to anything to do with workmanship, vintage styles and toughness, its different horses for different courses.
It does seem somewhat misguided for them to start posting 'buying guides' without first dictating the criteria of their judgement though.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I do indeed believe that this originated from the Styleforum(dot net) forum, at least thats where I remember reading it five or more years ago. Kind of funny but they do seem to be label and fashion driven as opposed to anything to do with workmanship, vintage styles and toughness, its different horses for different courses.
It does seem somewhat misguided for them to start posting 'buying guides' without first dictating the criteria of their judgement though.

Absolutely, horses for courses.

Now I have to correct myself, this is how this person dresses. I guess I need to brush up my detective skills, doesn't look like a college student to me..... (Not that I want to check him out, I was only trying to search the threads in Styleforum).

http://dressed.so/user/view/djmykeski

Edward

Bartender
Heh. People are funny. Hipsters, eh? ;)

Reminds me of the looney that used to show up here and very aggressively push the line that any repro A2 was "poor quality" becaue it was not "the real thing". Yeah - Aero, Eastman, Goodwear. All "poor quality". Pretty funny for a while, but obviously somebody like that rapidly outstays their welcome...

It was in that reddit thread that I first heard of TOJ. lol Did you fellas know that the Temple of Jawnz dude took a few kajillion pre-orders and then ran away with the money? Supposedly, he opened up a restaurant in Seoul, in the meantime. Supposedly, there's a Kickstarter campaign going on to fund the assassin to track the TOJ guy down.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Styleforum is filled to the brim with label and brand whores, and the ones who aren't don't know much, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's the point of origin for such a dumb opinion of Aero. Also, most of their members appear to be 5' tall and 90 lbs, and wear size 8AAA shoes, but they're not Japanese.

Edward

Bartender
It was in that reddit thread that I first heard of TOJ. lol Did you fellas know that the Temple of Jawnz dude took a few kajillion pre-orders and then ran away with the money? Supposedly, he opened up a restaurant in Seoul, in the meantime. Supposedly, there's a Kickstarter campaign going on to fund the assassin to track the TOJ guy down.

Jings, I'd never heard of them before this; goes to show, the web is less a global village than a whole legion of little villages we stay in, with our own little cliques. Sounds like an unpelasant story - I hate to hear of anyone getting ripped off. It's never pleasant.

Styleforum is filled to the brim with label and brand whores, and the ones who aren't don't know much, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's the point of origin for such a dumb opinion of Aero. Also, most of their members appear to be 5' tall and 90 lbs, and wear size 8AAA shoes, but they're not Japanese.

Well, it's all horses for courses, but it's certinly fair to say that StyleForum is a very different community than on here. I've skimmed over it a few times, enough to know it's just not my bag. It certainly seems fairf to say they're much more fashion oriented than TFL, in the sense that there seems a much more conscious notion of adhering to a fashion norm that can change. Less "Wear this, it's really cool!", more "Wear this, because it's what in now, and that makes it really cool." We're not immune from fashion entirely (it's interesting how much things go in and out of fashion even in vintage world, which is all about looking back to a fixed span of years), but I don't think there's the same sense of "what's in now" to the extent that SF seems about. I suppose that's natural if their focus is on the new rather than the 'fixed in a past time'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24