Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Sizing

alladin

Familiar Face
Hi,

I am cosidering my first jacket from Aero. I have provided them with the required measurements - height, chest relaxed, chest expanded, waist and stomach at widest point.

Aero has replied saying I need a size 36 (premier 1930s halfbelt)

Is the measurment generally enough for Aero to get the sizing correct or do I need/should provide additional information?

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Give Aero your measurements and specify what kind of fit you're after and if you intend to layer or not. Whatever size they advise should work out fine. And indeed, be sure to specify sleeve and body length. For sleeves, measure (on a jacket that has the sleeve length you want) from the shoulder seam to the end of the cuff. For length, measure from the base of the collar/neck down to the bottom of the jacket (on the back).

wdw

One Too Many
Definitely. Better a bit too long than a bit too short. Take the length you want and add 0.5". If in doubt, go long.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Should the sleeves be a little longer to factor in the leather creasing?

I've owned more leather jackets than I can count over 30 years. Never had sleeves shrink but many folks say their's have. If you're concerned allow no more than a centimeter. I doubt you'll need it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Definitely. Better a bit too long than a bit too short. Take the length you want and add 0.5". If in doubt, go long.

+1 They will wrinkle up, so allow for it otherwise they could end up around the top of your wrists.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'm tall with really long monkey arms, so I usually opt for 27-27.5" sleeves. If you're an averagely built person I think the middle ground is about 25". I'd add a half inch just to be safe.

Cooperson

One Too Many
You must be slim indeed if you're getting a premier 1930's Halfbelt in a 36"!! This pattern is very slim fit, definitely no layering. Why not hop on a train and get up to the Aero factory, it's a great day out and you could try some on.

alladin

Familiar Face
You must be slim indeed if you're getting a premier 1930's Halfbelt in a 36"!! This pattern is very slim fit, definitely no layering. Why not hop on a train and get up to the Aero factory, it's a great day out and you could try some on.

I am indeed quite slim. My suit jacket is 38.

I supplied Aero with my measurements wearing a thin jumper. Should I go for a 38?

I'd love to visit Aero, however, work constraints and other factors at the moment mean I cannot just yet.

Does anyone in London stock Aero jackets?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
As long as you've given them your measurements correctly, then if I was you I'd follow Aero's advice. If you want to wear a thick jumper underneath it, then I'd ask Holly or Rachel about this, you might want the standard one.

Edward

Bartender
Even then, I'd probably be considering a 50s hb if i wanted to layer. And a size up. But that might just be me! Go by Aero's advice.

No London stockists of which I'm aware.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just learnt the hard way that the premier fit half belt has VERY small shoulders. While my 38 bootlegger in the premium fit is perfect, the half belt was just too tight across the shoulders and upper back, I'm sizing up. The 38 half belt had a shoulder to shoulder of 16.9 inches....thats pretty small in my experience.

ADDED: The bootlegger was 17.5 inches across the shoulder.

Last edited:

markforce

New in Town

I supplied Aero with my measurements wearing a thin jumper. Should I go for a 38?

I'd love to visit Aero, however, work constraints and other factors at the moment mean I cannot just yet.

I am wearing standard 38 as well, both suits and jackets. If your suit jacket 38 is a good fit, the 36 slim fit halfbelt might be quite tight. In doubt about the measurements you've given, let Holly give you the sleeve and back lengths of both sizes, might help you make up your mind. In doubt I'd probably say go for the 38 (which would allow to go with a heavier sweater or hoodie or whatever in case you'd want it).

repo

Familiar Face
I've owned more leather jackets than I can count over 30 years. Never had sleeves shrink but many folks say their's have. If you're concerned allow no more than a centimeter. I doubt you'll need it.

I've never really seen this - not so much that I'd notice, anyway. I have long arms and have jackets with sleeves of slightly different lengths. The ones which are probably a bit too long certainly do crease and bunch up (and that's the look many people prefer). The others don't seem to change very much - I guess it also depends on the leather as to how much it creases. I've found that as the jacket loosens up, the shoulders tend to drop which add a bit to the sleeve length. But yes, a bit too long is definitely better.

Another factor is the cut of the jacket - I haven't taken that in to account sometimes and then the length has been different from what I expected.

Edward

Bartender
I just learnt the hard way that the premier fit half belt has VERY small shoulders. While my 38 bootlegger in the premium fit is perfect, the half belt was just too tight across the shoulders and upper back, I'm sizing up. The 38 half belt had a shoulder to shoulder of 16.9 inches....thats pretty small in my experience.

ADDED: The bootlegger was 17.5 inches across the shoulder.

Interesting, so is the Bootlegger a slimmer 50s hb pattern (the original is a 50s hb with a different front), coming up like a 30s hb, with the premium 30s hb being smaller again? My regular Bootlegger is a 42, but I had to go up a size for the 30s hb.

HighandDry

A-List Customer

I really think it depends on how you want to wear it.

I'm a 40 suit size and my 30's halfbelt is a 38. I love the fit, it's perfect with a light sweater or just a shirt. If I was looking to layer with heavier sweaters, I would have gone with a 40. However, when the weather get's colder, I switch to the D1 or Stockman.

Here's some pics with a light sweater.

BTW, this is an off the shelf 38 from Thurston Bros. I don't know if they specify anything different from Aero when they order their jackets. Funny thing, this jacket fits me better then any of my "custom" jackets!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Nice jacket, High and Dry. That's actually exactly what I'd considered for a long time... until Ken an back on board with a whole host of new designs, and I dedcided to go with a modified Dustbowl. (Still in black with a red lining, though!). When you want to wear it is definitely an issue, plus I'd also consider the design. These short, slim jackets were never, imo, intended to be for the depths of Winter; for that, a D1 or something like a shearling-lined HWM or a Thunderbay would be the thing.... A neat-cut HB sized up enough to fit on a submariner sweater over a shirt, say, would look all wrong to my eye. Bit like buying an Irvin I could only wear over a t-shirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner