Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Stockman / Cheyenne - with Belt??

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Seem like a pretty simple mod but I haven't see any on the lounge. Basically adding a removable full-belt (barnstormer style) to a single breasted coat like the Stockman/Cheyenne. Any opinions on this, good or bad?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I guess this subjective. I had a couple of leather's with belts - I really grew to dislike belts, they get in the way and get caught on things and what do you do with them when the jacket is open (which is much of the time), they flap around and are generally annoying and they add nothing to the wearing experience except, perhaps , a decorative slash across the waist. But it's subjective, others may say how great they are and how you always have an emergency tourniquet ready, etc.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Same here. The novelty wears off in about two wearings. A possible alternative is the seldom-mentioned Vanson Model J. It's a longer jacket with a half-belt in the back and two detachable side belts secured by buttons. I've always liked that jacket, and the price is really reasonable.

I would go out tonight

One of the Regulars
Bedford.jpg

Lost Worlds do the Bedford. During Mr Lauder's time in charge at Aero they had a pattern for a single breasted Barnstormer which was very similar. I had one made but no longer have it. I love the look but found the belt too much bother and had it belted at the back most of the time. I also love the look (although zips rather than buttons) of Aero's Hudson and Northeaster and they would give you a bit more versatility with the belt. I was not sure about the elasticated side panels but have tried on a Cropduster at Aero's factory and really liked the way you could have a 'waisted' look without adjusters or a belt.

Last edited:

zebedee

One Too Many
The Stockman's fine as it is- it's just my view, but a belt would be fussy and you'd likely discard it after a bit, at which point you'd have belt loops that would prove annoying. The Bedford above would look better without the belt, I think.

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
View attachment 50205

Lost Worlds do the Bedford. During Mr Lauder's time in charge at Aero they had a pattern for a single breasted Barnstormer which was very similar. I had one made but no longer have it. I love the look but found the belt too much bother and had it belted at the back most of the time. I also love the look (although zips rather than buttons) of Aero's Hudson and Northeaster and they would give you a bit more versatility with the belt. I was not sure about the elasticated side panels but have tried on a Cropduster at Aero's factory and really liked the way you could have a 'waisted' look without adjusters or a belt.
Aero supplied me with a couple of belt loops for my Hudson which allows the belt to be stowed..works well

Attachments

• Hudson with belt stowed 1.jpg
    Hudson with belt stowed 1.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 336

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Thanks for info. I forgot about that LW coat and after seeing the belt on a single breasted style, I agree it looks better without. However, I really enjoy the belted look on my double breasted barnstormer.

I'm with you. Ii think belts look good on the double breasted jackets. I have a vintage belted jacket with a zipper, and I had the belt "channel" sewn closed.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I have an Aero Barnstormer which obviously comes with a belt. It's actually removable and in truth I wear mine 90% of the time without it. It does look great done up with it but when you're not using it, I find it a complete bloody pain in the arse. I tried fastening it behind but that was uncomfortable when sitting or driving so the belt tends to live most of it's life on a hanger in the wardrobe.

Nothing wrong with belts but FQHH belts are fairly bulky and, for me anyway, I tend to find it a hindrance most of the time, hence I take the thing off. But it's nice to have the option and with a jacket like Aero's Barnie you have the best of both worlds, you can use it when the mood takes you but remove it entirely if it's getting on your wick. I think the esteemed Paddy here, like me, usually wore his sans belt when he had one.

RJR

View attachment 50205

That is a beauty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace