Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Thunderbay fit question

Kuro

Practically Family
All,

I am considering a pre-owned Aero Thunderbay. It is tagged a size 40, but the outer measurements suggest a 44.

Assuming others here own a similar jacket, I would like to know if the increased external tape measurements are an effect of the shearling lining? Meaning I assume the shearling lining is thick and makes for a larger (on the outside measurements) jacket than what one would normally expect?

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I can't talk to this technical question and you may be right but in general the jacket sizing is rarely reflective of the jacket's actual measurements. In Aero a size 42 in one jacket pattern fits like a 38 and in another pattern fits like a 44. In other words I need a 40 in a Barnstormer, a 38 in a Highwayman and a 44 in a 1930's half-belt - all variations to get a 23 inch pit-to-pit.

Meaning I assume the shearling lining is thick and makes for a larger (on the outside measurements) jacket than what one would normally expect?

Yep. Shearling is very, very thick. It easily eats 2" off the body room in any jacket lined with it.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
IMO most Aero's have oversized chest measurement for their tag size.
Both my Bootleggers have 24.5" p2p for a size 40, and my size 40 grizzly is 25.5" p2p. My 40 Cafe Racer is also 24" p2p.
In every other brand i own that measurement would be for a size 42 or 44.
It would be hard to say if in your case it's a pattern thing or a shearling thing, either way i would expect a size 40 Aero to be larger than average.

dubpynchon

One Too Many
I have a Thunderbay, Aero accomodate the shearling in the size, so you won't have to size up. Holly advised me to take my Highwayman size, which is a 42. The Thunderbay is one of their roomy 50s cut jackets. It's all rather confusing even if you've had several Aero jackets. If you're normally a size 40 in their roomy jackets like a Highwayman or Bootlegger you should be fine.

Kuro

Practically Family
Thanks all for your replies!

I have never owned a roomy Aero jacket, I only have a J-100 and a Ridley, both a similar straight and slim fit. The J-100 is a 42 and the Ridley is a 40... I normally wear an off the rack 42.

Thank you for the information from Holly about how they size the Thunderbay. That 40 may fit me better than the measurements suggest!

dubpynchon

One Too Many
Here are some outdoor pics of my goatskin Thunderbay. I asked for the thinnest corduroy strip they could do. It's a nice light jacket considering the shearling.

upload_2020-1-3_15-59-58.png

upload_2020-1-3_16-0-14.png

Kuro

Practically Family
I had an opportunity to talk with the seller. Looks like the jacket I had my eye on will be too big for me.

Back to the hunt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner