Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero wool halfbelt V Himel bros wool Canuck

Aero or Himel?

• Aero green/brown

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Himel

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jägernaut

Practically Family
I believe the himel is made from the same Harris tweed that lines my maxwell. I would probably wear the aero style over the himel however.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'd go for the Aero, as the leather just makes it seem like you're getting more for your dollar. (Even though I'm sure the Himel is worth it.)

I like this one:
MG4GhjZ.jpg

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've seen lots of wool/leather combo jackets like these depicted in vintage menswear catalogues from the 30s and 40s. I dig 'em both lots but if I really had to pick, I'd go the Aero, just because it looks straight out of the era so perfectly.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I've seen lots of wool/leather combo jackets like these depicted in vintage menswear catalogues from the 30s and 40s. I dig 'em both lots but if I really had to pick, I'd go the Aero, just because it looks straight out of the era so perfectly.
I agree Benny. I'm just really surprised that the majority don't seem to care for that style. I've liked it since day 1....Then again, I always wonder why people pay top dollar for new cars and end up with a Volvo or a Citroen. Usually in ghastly colours....horses for courses I guess!

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Personally, I am not a fan of wool coats with leather inserts (the Himel), nor leather coats with wool inserts (the Aero). The one exception is a wool varsity jacket with leather sleeves.

Of the two depicted jackets, I think the Himel is more interesting and visually appealing, but very difficult to wear given the assemblage of diverse fabrics, patterns, and colors. The Aero is considerably more wearable, but also less interesting.

I like this one:
MG4GhjZ.jpg

+1. IMHO, this Himel Heron bridges the gap between the Himel Canuck and the Aero. The Heron is visually interesting, but less complicated and much more wearable than the Canuck. Perhaps Himel would make a Canuck pattern using the same combination of fabrics as the Heron.

Personally, I prefer patterned wool coats without leather inserts or other details which over-complicate the garment. For example, my Freewheelers Brodovitch:

82c62043.jpg

Or Himel's Calvin:

Untitled-4_b8f5912c-774b-418c-a081-7473782de07b_large.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Oh man.....
Don't be a hater...
ETbX0sa.jpg

P1800E? I've not seen a convertible of those before. Lovely lines. I especially liked the coupe version, though the shooting brake was also a lovely car. Ditto for the Volvo Amazon. My favourite obscure European car, though, is probably the Borgward Isabella, especially the 2+2 Coupe version:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borgward_Isabella

Borgward_Isabella_Coup%C3%A9_front_20110611.jpg

The lifespan of the Borgward was 1954-62; the Volkswagen Karmann Ghia, with some similarities in styling, appeared in 1955, though it had a much longer run. The VW Karmann Ghia, though equally German, always looked more French in styling to me than the somewhat chunkier Borgward. You don't see so many Borgs around in the UK these days (they've never captured the surfing / lifestyle crowd that VW have, so), but I'm told they're very practical runners. It's one of a number of cars I'd consider giving garage room if ever I came into serious money.

pawineguy

One Too Many
The only wool and leather that I really love is this design, with the collar that makes it more than just another varsity jacket re-hash.

2615322d35f471c8_Baseball front--500.jpg

My favorite Spring jacket is this Harris Tweed jacket from Epaulet, with some hidden leather accents and a tartan lining. Much lighter than it looks so I can get a lot of wear out of it.
IMG_5509.JPG
IMG_5510.JPG

pauleway

Practically Family
Yeah, I think the Aero has a more confident pattern, just too much leather for me.

I had the Aero 30's Half-Belt design from Insurrection Bros. made in all wool (no leather) and it is a great fall/winter jacket. They can do most of their jacket designs in wool, you just have to ask! And BTW, it isn't much cheaper than a leather one, but a nice option if you're looking for a classic design in wool.

pauleway

Practically Family
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borgward_Isabella

Borgward_Isabella_Coup%C3%A9_front_20110611.jpg

The lifespan of the Borgward was 1954-62; the Volkswagen Karmann Ghia, with some similarities in styling, appeared in 1955, though it had a much longer run. The VW Karmann Ghia, though equally German, always looked more French in styling to me than the somewhat chunkier Borgward. You don't see so many Borgs around in the UK these days (they've never captured the surfing / lifestyle crowd that VW have, so), but I'm told they're very practical runners. It's one of a number of cars I'd consider giving garage room if ever I came into serious money.[/QUOTE]

I owned 1971 Karmann Ghia. I called it my "Poor Mans" Porche"!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran