Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero wool halfbelt V Himel bros wool Canuck

Aero or Himel?

• Aero green/brown

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Himel

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I think the Aero has a more confident pattern, just too much leather for me.

I had the Aero 30's Half-Belt design from Insurrection Bros. made in all wool (no leather) and it is a great fall/winter jacket. They can do most of their jacket designs in wool, you just have to ask! And BTW, it isn't much cheaper than a leather one, but a nice option if you're looking for a classic design in wool.

Would you be able to post some photos? That sounds very interesting. Is yours that striking emerald green?

AdeeC

Practically Family
D
Personally, I am not a fan of wool coats with leather inserts (the Himel), nor leather coats with wool inserts (the Aero). The one exception is a wool varsity jacket with leather sleeves.

Of the two depicted jackets, I think the Himel is more interesting and visually appealing, but very difficult to wear given the assemblage of diverse fabrics, patterns, and colors. The Aero is considerably more wearable, but also less interesting.

+1. IMHO, this Himel Heron bridges the gap between the Himel Canuck and the Aero. The Heron is visually interesting, but less complicated and much more wearable than the Canuck. Perhaps Himel would make a Canuck pattern using the same combination of fabrics as the Heron.

Personally, I prefer patterned wool coats without leather inserts or other details which over-complicate the garment. For example, my Freewheelers Brodovitch:

82c62043.jpg

Or Himel's Calvin:

Untitled-4_b8f5912c-774b-418c-a081-7473782de07b_large.jpg
Brooks Brothers have a similar jacket to the Calvin made of Pendleton wool though more in safe A2 style. Looks nicely trim and easy to wear. This my price range for all wool jackets. See link.
http://www.brooksbrothers.com.au/pendleton®-barracuda-jacket-ML00359.html?contentpos

Last edited:

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
I prefer the Himel...was actually considering this jacket but just can't decide if its too "flashy" for me :)
He also has this nice shawl color which is more understated.... DSC_2967a_large.jpg

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I would go with the first one, if it was other coulours and had a shawl collar. Too much leather on the other one and I like the pockets on the first better.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I guess apart from the fact that they are a combination of leather and fabric, they are such different jackets. Very hard to actually compare them.

wdw

One Too Many
Just thought I'd throw these new fit pics from today of the Aero Wool HB into the mix. I believe this is simply a wool version of the Pioneer. This is black melton with cordovan FQHH. As I'd said to Bunyip earlier, I'm wearing this more now and it's definitely a pretty unique jacket around these parts. I find this style to be less in-yer-face than the alternative Aero version.
Wool6_zps4lqo35si.jpg

Wool7_zpsfldtjgup.jpg

Edward

Bartender
How about something in Brown's Beach Cloth?
5zoNloN.jpg

Just thought I'd throw these new fit pics from today of the Aero Wool HB into the mix. I believe this is simply a wool version of the Pioneer. This is black melton with cordovan FQHH. As I'd said to Bunyip earlier, I'm wearing this more now and it's definitely a pretty unique jacket around these parts. I find this style to be less in-yer-face than the alternative Aero version.
Wool6_zps4lqo35si.jpg

Wool7_zpsfldtjgup.jpg

This is really nice. This version is more like a wool jacket with leather at points of wear. I do like it in cordovan and.... is that black or navy?

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I do like the wool/leather mix and have been debating ordering the Aero for a while. Can I ask, does it have leather within the pleat at the back, all the images I've seen so far had that, which I thought was a nice added feature but here it looks like its not there - may well be a trick of the light. It is a very nice looking jacket, I may have to make that purchase before the winter...

wdw

One Too Many
Edward, it's black wool.

10fielectronic, there's no leather within the pleat. I think that would be a step too far for my tastes.

I have this jacket away with me at work this week, so it's getting plenty of wear now. It's even relatively cheap by leather standards, which helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran