Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Workshop Visit

wdw

One Too Many
Hi guys. I'm a lurker who's been soaking up loads of info on Aero, thanks to the great stuff on this site.

As the workshop is only 35 miles from home, I went down for a visit yesterday and can honestly say that I can't ever remember having such an enjoyable shopping experience. I was fascinated by all the vintage clothing and memorabilia, and having the chance to see the Aero gear up close just proved that all the good stuff I'd been reading on this site was spot on. After years of other leather makes, actually touching the Aero gear confirmed it's in a different league to what I'm used to. Rock solid is putting it mildly.

Will, the owner, spent over an hour with me going over the various options and measuring me up, and it was great to see the passion he has for his business. I also saw some of the completed and ready to ship jackets that might even be heading your way soon, which was interesting.

Anyway, I pulled the trigger on an LHB in Cordovan, with a few mods, and can't wait for delivery, probably in June.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Hi, wdw. Welcome to the Lounge.

Sounds like a great trip. I had the pleasure of speaking to Will on the phone briefly twice. He's a great guy, and he even took some time to speak to me about things aside from jackets, including some questions I had about running a business.

Philalethes

Welcome. It's fun - I did the same in November, 2011. I spent time with Will's son. He gave us the grand tour and showed us everything. The shop is very cool. Just what you'd expect. And yes, the vintage items are awesome. If you can, pickup your jacket there too. It's very fun to do so. I was met at the door with my jacket on an Aero hanger! Took some pics out back. Congrat's on the LHB!

Edward

Bartender
Is it accessible by public transport at all? I was thinking of taking myself up to the highlands for a few days in Spring or Summer, and working in a trip to get measured up for a new jacket along the way. I don't drive, though, so I'm limited to bus / train. Don't mind taking a cab within reason, but not for the price of a jacket deposit.... ;)

wdw

One Too Many
Thanks for the welcomes, guys. Edward, if you get the chance, I'd definitely even go out of your way to go to get measured up. I'm between a 40 and 42 and Will got it spot on, saying he'd make a 41", with all the other bits in the right places. As for transport, from London, just get the train to Edinburgh, walk around the block and get a Nr. 95 First Bus direct to Galashiels in about 75 minutes. Can't imagine it even costs £10 one way. The workshop is probably less than a mile from the town centre.

Last edited:

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Hi WDW,
I've been up there to get measured on a couple of occasions and back again to collect the jackets, the wait is hellish, but when you actually get to collect the jackets and feel the fit it's certainly worth the visit! I would advise anyone who can to do so to do it, I'm sure when the wait is over and you get the call to collect you will be stunned with the fit and finish!

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
Ok, I'm jealous and I really shouldn't be because I got home from SF late last night to find a box from Scotland with a brown FQHH 30's slim half belt that fits perfectly - and this completes my Aero leather collection, I'm done...

Seriously...

No, I mean it...

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Wow, you are one lucky sonofagun. I live ten minutes from Langlitz. Wish I could pop in to Aero, instead. The guys at Langlitz are solid and helpful, but their jackets feel like football uniforms, especially in the shoulders. Great for ON THE BIKE, but not so good for everything else. I guess the grass is always greener. Plenty of guys on this site probably wish they could pop into Langlitz on a whim. As for Scotland, I've been there once. I can't think of a better way to spend a day off than to visit Aero and then maybe hit a scotch distillery on the way home for a tour and a nippy nip. If I am not mistaken, there are a few good distilleries not to far away from Aero. Why is it that a fine brown horsehide jacket and a fine glass of scotch seem kind of similar? Maybe I have read too many boxes and labels of single malt that use comparisons like "leathery" to describe the bouquet of a particular scotch. In my pickled nostalgic mind, they just seem to go together. Then again, I guess bringing up scotch and Scotland is kind of a cliche. Oh well. So what. In Oregon, we make great wine, particularly Pinot Noirs, and I'm not offended to hear others from elsewhere say so. I grew up making my spending money tying up vines and weeding around the rows in a vineyard next door (across the hill) from my parent's country home.

Next time you go to Aero, TAKE PICTURES AND POST THEM for those of us surfers that are less fortunate.

Slàinte mhath,
Hammer

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Thanks for the welcomes, guys. Edward, if you get the chance, I'd definitely even go out of your way to go to get measured up. I'm between a 40 and 42 and Will got it spot on, saying he'd make a 41", with all the other bits in the right places. As for transport, from London, just get the train to Edinburgh, walk around the block and get a Nr. 95 First Bus direct to Galashiels in about 75 minutes. Can't imagine it even costs £10 one way. The workshop is probably less than a mile from the town centre.

Excellent, thanks. I will definitely do that, then. I want to get measured up for a black thirties half-belt - I might just need a tiny inch more in the waist than the standard. I also would love them to lengthen the straps on my brown halfbelt. It's a perfectly snug fit on me without using them at all, but as standard they're really too short to stay in place like that. I'd like to have them made an inch longer, but it's an awful lot of hassle to do it by post. I wonder if I did ten days in Edinburgh would they take it on day one and have it ready by the end of my holiday... hmmnn.... must write them.

Sure won't be going in August, though: I was there during the festival once, and it was hellish - but then I tend to agree more and more with Sartre as I get older.... ;)

Cooperson

One Too Many
Ok, I'm jealous and I really shouldn't be because I got home from SF late last night to find a box from Scotland with a brown FQHH 30's slim half belt that fits perfectly - and this completes my Aero leather collection, I'm done...

Seriously...

No, I mean it...

Would like to see it on - any chance of some pics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany