Aero x Real McCoys Brakeman

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Docxm, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Docxm

Docxm Familiar Face

Hi, I recently won this Aero x RMC Brakeman in black steerhide from a spur-of-the-moment eBay bid... Unfortunately I didn't pay too much attention to the details, and the fit isn't the best. Then it hit me; the buttons are on the wrong side! Did I buy a woman's jacket, or is it just European style? However, when researching I can't find anything about this model of jacket. Is this genuine? It feels kind of older and the leather is a bit more dry feeling.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Thuggee

Thuggee Practically Family

Hmmm no expert jacket looks odd to me, Aero and The McCOYS labels both together doesn’t look right to me, I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in, if you bought this off the bay and it’s just some random jacket with those labels added after the fact can’t see why you couldn’t do a return.

3. Dav

Dav One Too Many

Something looks wrong to me, why would the real McCoy's be reproducing Aero jackets? Design doesn't look like any Aero I've ever seen either.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Carlos840 and Monitor like this.
  4. Docxm

Docxm Familiar Face

Alright I'll probably return it soon, since eBay is very very buyer friendly.

5. Docxm

Docxm Familiar Face

On the other hand, does anyone have any idea who/where the jacket was originally made? I like the design hahaha

6. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Looking at that stitching, that jacket wasn't made by Aero, it's all wrong for them.
    Stitch holes are too tight and small to be them, or at least i have never seen an Aero with that style of stitching and execution.
    Also the label is missing the "made in Scotland".

It looks like it would be an Aero made by RMC not a collaboration, but like @Dav i don't understand why this would be done.

This is a weird one...

Edit: and European style doesn't change for buttons, they still close left above right. I googled old Japanese buttoned army uniforms and they also close left above right. Not sure what the deal is with this.
    Most womens jackets have darts to account for chest room, not seeing it in that coat, doesn't mean it isn't one as the Japanese aren't famous for their chest size...

Edward and Dr H like this.
  7. Monitor

Monitor

Really weird. I agree it doesn't look like it's been made by Aero and the Aero X RMC thing makes no sense whatsoever but on the other hand, it doesn't look bad at all and some of the details suggest it's of a higher grade make in any case. It looks nice!

8. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

It looks as though somebody with a bit of a sense of humour has put this together. It's like making a fake Gibson Les Paul and deliberately stamping 'made by Fender' on the back.

Edward, El Marro and Cornelius like this.
  9. robrinay

robrinay One Too Many

Agreed the labels look as if they’ve been transplanted ie have been hand sewn in using a ‘back stitch’ either it’s here to test our gullibility or it’s someone’s idea of making lots of profit on a mall jacket.

10. Dav

Dav One Too Many

That Aero lable doesn't look right to me, compared to the one in my Highwayman there seems to be a lot of missing detail.

robrinay likes this.
  11. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Would that be correct placement for a RMC label?

12. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I’d ask Holly.

13. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

As far as I know, save from the Harley Davidson, Lee and Wrangler collaboration, other RMC x ? collaboration are made by the other companies and not RMC. For example, Chippewa, Corcoran and Lewis Leather made the "collaboration" items which are in fact just a special bulk order from RMC. RMC is not a designer brand and for most collaboration it simply means asking the original makers to reproduce something that are usually discontinued. I doubt if RMC has a collaboration with Aero, RMC would take it upon themselves to make it. It is not the defunct Aero Beacon Hill afterall.
    My fellow loungers have expressed their opinion on the Aero part and I defer to their expertise.

14. Docxm

Docxm Familiar Face

Well this is a wild ride. I contacted aero via their website, but is there a better person to specifically ask?

And honestly the jacket doesn't feel too bad, it looks very nice and the leather feels great. Wish it fit though!

15. Dr H

Dr H One Too Many

Regardless of mismatched details, the fastening is female (right over left).
    Fine looking jacket though, reminiscent of a Freewheelers Switchyard.
    I see these FW designs being reproduced pretty well in China, perhaps that’s the original source?

Edward and robrinay like this.