Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero's Motorcycle jacket vs. Indian Ranger

I hate the looks of modern motorcycle jackets, always full of logos, stripes, reflective crap, not nice!
Also, i have noticed that motorcycle leather jackets usually have thinner leather and worst stitching than something like a Schott or a Lewis leather!

I too find the modern riding gear very unpleasant to look at, which is exactly the reason why I got into this whole perfect Perfecto mess. I simply couldn't wear that Tron stuff and while looking for an alternative it's the classic that I fell in love with so now I simply can't go back. I ride an old bike too so... But the fact remains that the modern stuff is infinitely superior to any classic leather when it comes to safety.

Though I don't really understand that part about Schott leather and stitching. I have Schott 618 horse and both the stitching and the leather thickness are exactly of the same quality as my Aero, so... Where's this talk of Schott having a bad stitching coming from? Obviously, Schott horse is tanned differently and the jacket is somewhat lighter, but I've examined and compared the jackets that I have and both hides are of the exact same thickness.

It's so long since I was in Tussauds - 20 years and more - that I can't recall the jacket itself (I doubt I'd have noticed those sorts of details back then anyhow). Brando's does have a back yoke which the Aero (like most others in this style) lacks. From memory, some of the stills I've seen almost made it look like there's a centre seam as well, but I'm not sure about that. Aero obviously aren't shooting for a strictly accurate copy of the Strabler jacket, I suppose. Probably not entirely possible without examining the original, which it seems isn't a sure thing yet.... I'd love to see someone do a spot on repro (though I'd prefer it without colours for regular use!), but I don't know how much of a marlet there'd be, i.e. how many people would really be prepared to go the distance for a full on repro as distinct from the market more generally for the Perfecto style. Who knows!

I think I've read on filmjackets.com that Rick, the owner of filmjackets.com plans on making the most screen accurate Brando jacket for his store but I don't know when is that bound to happen. In any case, I'm really looking forward to it as from what I understand, their jackets are pretty nice so it'd be great to have a screen accurate replica of the jacket that pretty much started it all. But I agree that any difference between any mall Perfecto styled lambskin MC jacket and the SA Brando's repro would probably be lost on the majority of people. I mean, few years back I probably wouldn't even be able to tell the difference even if someone pointed it out to me, simply dismissing it for that rocker jacket.

You know, I think I'll go with the Ranger...

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
BBC 3 Edward. Not a bad program of a rarely covered topic.

Oi you lot! What is wrong with us Power Rangers? It's only fashion and goes with the style of bike. If you like big cruisers I think the old style stuff looks great, but not really on a Hayabusa or Fireblade surly? And if you are talking a pre war style bike, I'm afraid I would not want to look like a dirty old man in my army surplus mac, unless I was doing some kind of re-enactment no way would I be seen dead in a despatch riders coat. Thats where the wax cotton style rules the road. Just as full modern race replica leathers look stupid on a Vincent Black Shadow, as would wax cotton on my Busa(except for going to work in the rain of course).
I have an old BSA A65 in pieces that is to be sold, it was my rider for 12 years. With that I have an Eastman Luftwaffe with zip pockets and an old Kangol jet helmet with Mk8 goggs. but if I am bombing along on the Busa then it's on with my full face and GO GO Power Rangers!
:DJohnny, definitely not Strabler.

I don't know, im 29 ride a Sportish bike and ride with a schott 644 cafe racer or a Lewis leather Dominator and some riding Kevlar jeans...
I would not bee seen dead in a power ranger suite!
If i ever buy a full leather suite it will have to be custom made as very few of the rack suite me, and it will be all black with no logos!

For me the riding gear doesn't have to fit the bike, they are just the same clothes i wear everyday, but with extra kevlar and armor...

DSC_3906_zps9d59fb96.jpg

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Though I don't really understand that part about Schott leather and stitching. I have Schott 618 horse and both the stitching and the leather thickness are exactly of the same quality as my Aero, so... Where's this talk of Schott having a bad stitching coming from? Obviously, Schott horse is tanned differently, but I've examined and compared the jackets that I have and both hides are of the same thickness.

I think you misunderstood me, what i wrote was that Schott, Lewis leather, Aero, etc have better leather and stitching than most modern "real" motorcycle jacket.

Look at a held jacket, or richa, or dainese, they all have surprisingly thin leather and dodgy stitching in comparison.... I feel safer with my schott and my Knox armored shirt than with a dedicated jacket with thin leather and crappy foam armor!

Last edited:
Eeh, I most definitely did misunderstood you and I do apologize, mate, really sorry here. I'll should be paying more attention to posts... Although I automatically made such assumption because it wouldn't be the first time that I've heard someone claiming that Schott leather and stitching is (much) inferior to that of Aero, Vanson, etc. when in fact I can testify first hand that that simply is not the case. Again, sorry. :) And Jesus God almighty that is a gorgeous bike!

Agreed on Dainese, Held, etc. leather. I've spent half a year going to every modern riding gear store I could find, checking out their leather jackets only to discover that most indeed are of a very poor quality. Even the most expensive stuff doesn't hold a candle to whatever vintage Harley Davidson gear (though having said that, neither does the new Harley Davidson stuff).

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Eeh, I most definitely did misunderstood you and I do apologize, mate, really sorry here. I'll should be paying more attention to posts... Although I automatically made such assumption because it wouldn't be the first time that I've heard someone claiming that Schott leather and stitching is (much) inferior to that of Aero, Vanson, etc. when in fact I can testify first hand that that simply is not the case. Again, sorry. :) And Jesus God almighty that is a gorgeous bike!

No worries!
I love my schott jacket, great quality for the price although the attention to detail is a bit rough compared to others, it is still very good.
One thing i don't like about them is the sizing, they always seem to have huge stomachs compared to shoulder width, like they are designed for beer bellies, i had to have mine tapered pretty drastically.
Thanks for the compliment...

Apologies for the massive derail!

Yeah, that's true about the generous waist space on new Schott's. 618 from the 80's has like three inches less gut room than the new one. But that's a disease that Vanson seems to have caught, too. It's really sad that so many manufacturers today assume their customers are overweight... And no worries about the derail, I've decided upon a Ranger (though I'd still love to hear more about it and see some some photos) so I'm happy to see people talking about bikes and jackets! :)

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I saw this too, my Mrs said she could see the steam coming out of my ears whenever the narrator kept saying Café, pronounced 'cafey'. Sorry chaps but this pronunciation is wrong in the biker world of the UK. We bikers and most truckers that used transport cafes pronounce it Kaff, like Kath in Eastenders. I cant imagine a beefy trucker stopping at a Café. I'm afraid our American friends may have a TV program to go with their Café culture but its just not the same as the good old British.
To be honest I only ever heard the term in the UK as Café when talking about a pseudo French restaurant or bistro. So come on bikers from the 1960s and 70s! This is Great Britain, we invented Cafe Racers so lets call them Cafe Racers and leave the Café to Renee Artois.
One thing I did agree on was the comment that British motorcycles having character was a pseudonym for unreliability and oil leaks haha.
Nice jackets by the way out of the two I prefer the Indian Ranger or Aero's Trail Rider ,but I have always preferred the British style without the condom pocket on the front as my own personal preference though.
J

Maybe they just should have been called spoon racers...

Edward the show was on BBC 4 and is on BBC iPlayer and available to anyone outside of the UK using Tunnel Bear or something similar. Well worth watching.

Yes lots of character. Oil leaks and endless fun tickling Amal 'eccentric' carbs.

I had a lot of old fifties Brit bikes in the seventies bought as boxes of bits mostly. Jam pot Matchless, Ariel Red Hunter, Royal Enfield Bullet. They were all dirt cheap then and only just starting to be collectable. My last British bike was a 1974 Norton 850 Commando I sold in about 1980 when I bought a Honda CX for practicable transport in London. It was a bit boring but was perfect for getting around, and a comfortable long distance cruiser too.

No character but no dramas either.

IXL

One Too Many
The Road king, basically an Electra Glide, hardly changed from the 1960s, a Classic American cruiser, they will still be building these for years to come.
Now the 1200GS, thats an adventure bike so personally I think Gortex with lots of pockets rather than leather. A great bike getting more complicated as the years go by. Then again all bikes are these days, gone are the days of getting home with no clutch because the cable has snapped, that was the thing with the old bikes, you could bodge a get home plan usually unless the engine blew up.

I just really hate the Gore-Tex stuff so I usually wear a leather café racer on the GS, which seems to work for me pretty well. I do have an Olympia power ranger jacket but don't tell anyone.
All of the modern bikes are getting too complicated to be repaired on the side of the road. But in this age of cell phones one is not usually stranded for long. Gone are the days of the 70's when I could (and would have to) fix my 1972, burnt-orange Honda SL350 when it would break down while out in the boonies somewhere.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Great thread....I love mc jackets, and have an evo FXD and a tricked out 883. I found this site simply because I wanted a high quality Brando style jacket without all the logos etc.....this has been very informative. Thanks guys.

The Road king, basically an Electra Glide, hardly changed from the 1960s, a Classic American cruiser, they will still be building these for years to come....
Most definitely. My first HD was a 1978 FLH that I restored to ride while riding my 1970 Triumph T100.
After getting my RKC, I'd ride the FLH to keep the battery charged & oil flowing after getting back from long rides. Sorry for the side track...
From the Twin Cam 88 to the Shovelhead 1200 was a trip back in time in lots of aspects.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I don't know, im 29 ride a Sportish bike and ride with a schott 644 cafe racer or a Lewis leather Dominator and some riding Kevlar jeans...
I would not bee seen dead in a power ranger suite!
If i ever buy a full leather suite it will have to be custom made as very few of the rack suite me, and it will be all black with no logos!

For me the riding gear doesn't have to fit the bike, they are just the same clothes i wear everyday, but with extra kevlar and armor...

DSC_3906_zps9d59fb96.jpg
Neat bike, thats what we call a 'Street Fighter' style. I am hoping to sell my BSA and put the money towards a Triumph Street Triple, same style as this bike.
The plain black leather goes perfect with this style so my Eastman Luft will still get some use

Maybe they just should have been called spoon racers...

Edward the show was on BBC 4 and is on BBC iPlayer and available to anyone outside of the UK using Tunnel Bear or something similar. Well worth watching.

Yes lots of character. Oil leaks and endless fun tickling Amal 'eccentric' carbs.

I had a lot of old fifties Brit bikes in the seventies bought as boxes of bits mostly. Jam pot Matchless, Ariel Red Hunter, Royal Enfield Bullet. They were all dirt cheap then and only just starting to be collectable. My last British bike was a 1974 Norton 850 Commando I sold in about 1980 when I bought a Honda CX for practicable transport in London. It was a bit boring but was perfect for getting around, and a comfortable long distance cruiser too.

No character but no dramas either.
Sounds like you are in the que of the Café :p
Oil leaks and fiddling with carbs? Yes Iv'e been there too many times. Sounds like bad engineering design if we have to tinker every trip;)

Yeah, that's true about the generous waist space on new Schott's. 618 from the 80's has like three inches less gut room than the new one. But that's a disease that Vanson seems to have caught, too. It's really sad that so many manufacturers today assume their customers are overweight... And no worries about the derail, I've decided upon a Ranger (though I'd still love to hear more about it and see some some photos) so I'm happy to see people talking about bikes and jackets! :)
Yes agreed, it's great to talk bikes to a range of people not only interested in Harleys and leaf sprung Indians

I do remember, in the 70s, wanting a riding suit like Dave Aldana! Funny, in 45 years of ridding, I have never owned a one peace. Still like leather over textile. http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/detail.aspx?RacerID=18
aldana-1_zpsd5fd676f.jpg

I wanted a suit like this, but I thought " If I wear that, I would have to be able to ride the nuts off any bike". And to be honest, I cant[huh] haha

Most definitely. My first HD was a 1978 FLH that I restored to ride while riding my 1970 Triumph T100.
After getting my RKC, I'd ride the FLH to keep the battery charged & oil flowing after getting back from long rides. Sorry for the side track...
From the Twin Cam 88 to the Shovelhead 1200 was a trip back in time in lots of aspects.

Very Nice:cool: A friend had a 1969 Electra Glide, an ex police machine. It was a dresser but not to over the top.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Anyway, who needs hard armour, in fact why bother with leathers at all:D
Here's my favourite crash from YouTube
[video=youtube;IZ25Jrx1A9A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ25Jrx1A9A[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou