Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero's Motorcycle jacket vs. Indian Ranger

As much as I love it, the Aero's MC jacket that I recently acquired is a bit too tight around the waist for me so I decided to get a new one. Problem is, I'm torn between simply going with another Aero's Motorcycle Jacket (The Wild One), as I really like that one a lot, and the Indian Ranger. Now, the internet being strangely devoid of photos or any useful info regarding the Ranger, I was hoping that perhaps someone who has handled both jackets can help me out a bit. How exactly are these two jackets different, for example, in terms of fit? Photos on Aero's site give me the impression that, among other things, the Indian ranger does appear to be a somewhat longer jacket altogether, and it looks like it has a larger collar but it's hard to tell for sure.

So if someone can throw down some info or better yet, post a few good photos of the Indian Ranger so that I can compare, you'd do me a one hell of a favour.

yv36.jpg

z78s.jpg

Thanks!

Novos

One of the Regulars
I have that Aero MC in the first pic that I bought used here on the forums. It's well constructed, but the fit is strange. It's a 42, and I am a 42, so I can zip it up fine, but much like in the pic it is sort of short, but boxy up top, not so flattering. And the sleeves are quite wide, which makes the jacket not exactly ideal in my book. Oh well, it's still a really nice piece, but given the choice to find that "ultimate" Brando MC to end all MCs, I'd probably look at another model.

Although it's tough to tell via just pictures, the Indian Ranger looks like it might be a nicer fit. If it is indeed true a bigger collar is a plus in my books.

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I pref the Indian Ranger. Mind you, I would get a J106 over either of them. I honestly would buy a schott perfecto 118 instead of the wild one. It's as original as it gets, as I believe Schott made the a key for Brando, and Bruce Springsteen wore it in Born to Run..doesn't get any better for a guy like me!

@Novos, that's the same problem I'm having with my Aero MC, which is why I was hoping that going for a new one would finally end my quest for the ultimate Brando jacket. I still love wearing it a lot as I think it fits me just the way these jackets were supposed to fit back in the days, plus it looks like it's from another time, so I would probably keep it if it was only a bit more generous around the waist and just a tiny bit longer. Man, there's always something... Which is why I'd like to find out more info on the Ranger. Bigger collar is a plus in my book too. There's just something about this jacket...

@strokes1251, I agree, their MC's are really something else. few pictures of my jacket:
86setn58lh9gc8dbqqb5.jpg

o2cvb2nld78fm931dj2e.jpg

xcw70vuehm73024wib7b.jpg

I'd like to see more images of users jackets too. Novos, got any? :)

@Bunyip, J106 looks very nice - and also looking at a certain vendor's thread, for whatever reason that particular jacket seems to be the most popular Aero's MC jacket - but it's really The Wild One jacket that I'm after. Already got a Schott. So why another, huh? :)

Edward

Bartender
The fit is definitely significantly different than snugger 30s/40s jackets, or more modern bike jackets, or racing leathers. I believe the looser fit on jackets like this was common in the 50s (more Strablerf than Ramone, so to speak), at least for the British ton-up boys who wanted room for a sweater under there. These jackets nip in very suddenly at the waist to create a tight seal to keep the cold out. A lot of the folks who prefer this style are very keen on the waist being as tight as possible to avoid this skirting effect when it's belted in:

Custome_Main.jpg

It certainly is tight in the waist - an inch or two tighter than a Thirties halfbelt! The Aero is the nicest of this styled of jacket I've handled, but alas I'm just not proportioned for it it seems. Well... not this side of the several stone I hope to lose, anyhow.

I pref the Indian Ranger. Mind you, I would get a J106 over either of them. I honestly would buy a schott perfecto 118 instead of the wild one. It's as original as it gets, as I believe Schott made the a key for Brando, and Bruce Springsteen wore it in Born to Run..doesn't get any better for a guy like me!

The 118 is definitely not the original Brando jacket, as that model didn't come on the market until 1977. It's naked cowhide, as distinct from the steer that the 618 and other earlier models are (originally, I believe, they were horse). Schott have long claimed that Brando wore a Schott as Johnny Strabler. It's certainly a possibility. The received wisdom for a long timed was that the actual Strabler jacket was a 618 (the current model in the early 50s when The Wild One was shot), modified to look like a 613, which would have been the current model in the late Forties when the original Hollister Incident (on which the film is based) occured. The film jacket has had star-shaped studs added to the epaulettes in apparent imitation of a Schott 613, but in the incorrect position (from memory, the film jacket has them close to the middle of the epaulette, whereas the 613 had them a touch closer the outside edge. There are those who claim to have evidence that Brando didn't wear a Schott at all, just a jacket in that generic style - see, for instance, this discussion on Filmjackets.com http://filmjackets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56

Interesting stuff. Schott lay claim to having come up with the first jacket of this generic style, in the late 20s. No idea how accurate that is, but it does at least seem plausible.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Boy do I like those. There's no type of jacket more appealing to look at. Really like the J107 and it looks pretty slim.

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
The fit is definitely significantly different than snugger 30s/40s jackets, or more modern bike jackets, or racing leathers. I believe the looser fit on jackets like this was common in the 50s (more Strablerf than Ramone, so to speak), at least for the British ton-up boys who wanted room for a sweater under there. These jackets nip in very suddenly at the waist to create a tight seal to keep the cold out. A lot of the folks who prefer this style are very keen on the waist being as tight as possible to avoid this skirting effect when it's belted in:

Custome_Main.jpg

It certainly is tight in the waist - an inch or two tighter than a Thirties halfbelt! The Aero is the nicest of this styled of jacket I've handled, but alas I'm just not proportioned for it it seems. Well... not this side of the several stone I hope to lose, anyhow.

The 118 is definitely not the original Brando jacket, as that model didn't come on the market until 1977. It's naked cowhide, as distinct from the steer that the 618 and other earlier models are (originally, I believe, they were horse). Schott have long claimed that Brando wore a Schott as Johnny Strabler. It's certainly a possibility. The received wisdom for a long timed was that the actual Strabler jacket was a 618 (the current model in the early 50s when The Wild One was shot), modified to look like a 613, which would have been the current model in the late Forties when the original Hollister Incident (on which the film is based) occured. The film jacket has had star-shaped studs added to the epaulettes in apparent imitation of a Schott 613, but in the incorrect position (from memory, the film jacket has them close to the middle of the epaulette, whereas the 613 had them a touch closer the outside edge. There are those who claim to have evidence that Brando didn't wear a Schott at all, just a jacket in that generic style - see, for instance, this discussion on Filmjackets.com http://filmjackets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56

Interesting stuff. Schott lay claim to having come up with the first jacket of this generic style, in the late 20s. No idea how accurate that is, but it does at least seem plausible.

Good info there. Did you see the Timeshift programme The Glory Days of British Motorcycles last night?

Didn't tell me anything I didn't already know but it was a good slice of nostalgia, and some good shots of the North Circular ton up cafe racers, and the gear they were wearing then.

There was a good segment of T E Lawrence and his Brough Superiors. I read one of his memoirs a few years ago where he recounted his journeys from his camp to London and back none stop just for the ride. Tank slapping at eighty on bad roads on a rigid 1000cc V twin with girder forks. Made me grimace just to read it. It's a wonder he lasted as long as he did before he killed himself on it.

I don't think he was that bothered whether he lived or died by then though. He'd been a disappointed and unhappy man for years.

Last edited:
I did some research on The Wild One jacket and despite what Schott may be claiming, I still think that the brand Durable is the closest match. Then again, from what I gather, Schott did at some point acquire Durable so if any of this is true, it would be fair to say that Brando is indeed wearing a Schott but even so, the fact remains that we have yet to see a Schott MC jacket that looks like the one from the film.

In any case, I agree with you Edward about the 118 not being the original Brando jacket. Neither Perfecto model Schott is currently offering is a match. Having said that, Aero's The Wild One jacket is even less so. I have seen the jacket they've supposedly made for the Madame Tussauds Johnny/Brando wax figure, and it looks little like Aero's MC jacket. Apart from it being made from a very grainy leather I have never seen on any of Aero's jackets, one it the museum is a lot more screen accurate. And I am fairly certain that Brando's jacket was made from horse hide.

Anyway, that's some great info on the fit of the jacket, Edward. I didn't consider the reason behind the sudden V drop but it does make sense. I wish mine would allow just a little more room, it'd be perfect then.

And what Nick said, there's really no type of jacket more appealing to look at. To me, these jackets are the ultimate leather jackets but it's not always easy to pull that look off.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Try not riding a motorcycle, and being into punk rock but not really the Ramones. This leaves me with no choice but cordovan.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I do all my riding with old school MC jackets! I just wear armour underneath:

http://store.planet-knox.com/product/venture-armoured-protective-shirt/

I hate the looks of modern motorcycle jackets, always full of logos, stripes, reflective crap, not nice!
Also, i have noticed that motorcycle leather jackets usually have thinner leather and worst stitching than something like a Schott or a Lewis leather!

On top of that it allows me to wear my leather jackets off the bike without looking like a power ranger.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Good info there. Did you see the Timeshift programme The Glory Days of British Motorcycles last night?

No, I missed that... what channel was it on? Sounds worth seeking out on catch-up.

I did some research on The Wild One jacket and despite what Schott may be claiming, I still think that the brand Durable is the closest match. Then again, from what I gather, Schott did at some point acquire Durable so if any of this is true, it would be fair to say that Brando is indeed wearing a Schott but even so, the fact remains that we have yet to see a Schott MC jacket that looks like the one from the film.

It would be a bit of a stretch, yeah... a bit like the former principal of the university that employs me when he liked to claim that we are the oldest of the University colleges. Which is true..... if you are counting St Bart's medical school which does go waaaay back, and which we absorbed in the 90s.... lol

In any case, I agree with you Edward about the 118 not being the original Brando jacket. Neither Perfecto model Schott is currently offering is a match. Having said that, Aero's The Wild One jacket is even less so. I have seen the jacket they've supposedly made for the Madame Tussauds Johnny/Brando wax figure, and it looks little like Aero's MC jacket. Apart from it being made from a very grainy leather I have never seen on any of Aero's jackets, one it the museum is a lot more screen accurate. And I am fairly certain that Brando's jacket was made from horse hide.

Yeah, while we don'tg know for sure, it seems likely that it was horse. Could have been that heavy bullhide stuff from back in the day, but I think that was more a German thing...

It's so long since I was in Tussauds - 20 years and more - that I can't recall the jacket itself (I doubt I'd have noticed those sorts of details back then anyhow). Brando's does have a back yoke which the Aero (like most others in this style) lacks. From memory, some of the stills I've seen almost made it look like there's a centre seam as well, but I'm not sure about that. Aero obviously aren't shooting for a strictly accurate copy of the Strabler jacket, I suppose. Probably not entirely possible without examining the original, which it seems isn't a sure thing yet.... I'd love to see someone do a spot on repro (though I'd prefer it without colours for regular use!), but I don't know how much of a marlet there'd be, i.e. how many people would really be prepared to go the distance for a full on repro as distinct from the market more generally for the Perfecto style. Who knows!

Anyway, that's some great info on the fit of the jacket, Edward. I didn't consider the reason behind the sudden V drop but it does make sense. I wish mine would allow just a little more room, it'd be perfect then.

And what Nick said, there's really no type of jacket more appealing to look at. To me, these jackets are the ultimate leather jackets but it's not always easy to pull that look off.

The first leather jacket I ever wanted was a Perfecto style. I wanted one just like Alice Cooper wore a lot at the time.... then it was Joey Ramone, then Brando.... When I got my first leather jacket it had to be this style: for years I wouldn't even consider anything other than a black leather jacket in this general design. My tastes may have broadened over the years, but I still love these.

Try not riding a motorcycle, and being into punk rock but not really the Ramones. This leaves me with no choice but cordovan.

I'd disagree... you don't have to be a biker or a Ramones fan to wear a black one. I don't really get why anyone wouldn't like the Ramones, though.... ;)

I hate the looks of modern motorcycle jackets, always full of logos, stripes, reflective crap, not nice!
Also, i have noticed that motorcycle leather jackets usually have thinner leather and worst stitching than something like a Schott or a Lewis leather!

On top of that it allows me to wear my leather jackets off the bike without looking like a power ranger.

Yeah.... the Power Rangers are what those things laways call to mind for me too. Plus I'm not, as a rule, a fan of big logos. I'd wear some vintage motorcycle sweaters with a lot of different logos on them (no Harley, though. No way, no how), but I don't care for the modern stuff. If I was to run a bike of my own and I felt the need of armour, that's what I'd do too. Maybe one of those Italian jean-jackets with the kevlar armour built in, worn under some nice leather. That or armoured waxed cotton, a la the International or Trialmaster.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab

Didn't tell me anything I didn't already know but it was a good slice of nostalgia, and some good shots of the North Circular ton up cafe racers, and the gear they were wearing then.

There was a good segment of T E Lawrence and his Brough Superiors. I read one of his memoirs a few years ago where he recounted his journeys from his camp to London and back none stop just for the ride. Tank slapping at eighty on bad roads on a rigid 1000cc V twin with girder forks. Made me grimace just to read it. It's a wonder he lasted as long as he did before he killed himself on it.

I don't think he was that bothered whether he lived or died by then though. He'd been a disappointed and unhappy man for years.

I saw this too, my Mrs said she could see the steam coming out of my ears whenever the narrator kept saying Café, pronounced 'cafey'. Sorry chaps but this pronunciation is wrong in the biker world of the UK. We bikers and most truckers that used transport cafes pronounce it Kaff, like Kath in Eastenders. I cant imagine a beefy trucker stopping at a Café. I'm afraid our American friends may have a TV program to go with their Café culture but its just not the same as the good old British.
To be honest I only ever heard the term in the UK as Café when talking about a pseudo French restaurant or bistro. So come on bikers from the 1960s and 70s! This is Great Britain, we invented Cafe Racers so lets call them Cafe Racers and leave the Café to Renee Artois.
One thing I did agree on was the comment that British motorcycles having character was a pseudonym for unreliability and oil leaks haha.
Nice jackets by the way out of the two I prefer the Indian Ranger or Aero's Trail Rider ,but I have always preferred the British style without the condom pocket on the front as my own personal preference though.
J

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab

No, I missed that... what channel was it on? Sounds worth seeking out on catch-up.

I
Yeah.... the Power Rangers are what those things laways call to mind for me too. Plus I'm not, as a rule, a fan of big logos. I'd wear some vintage motorcycle sweaters with a lot of different logos on them (no Harley, though. No way, no how), but I don't care for the modern stuff. If I was to run a bike of my own and I felt the need of armour, that's what I'd do too. Maybe one of those Italian jean-jackets with the kevlar armour built in, worn under some nice leather. That or armoured waxed cotton, a la the International or Trialmaster.

BBC 3 Edward. Not a bad program of a rarely covered topic.

Oi you lot! What is wrong with us Power Rangers? It's only fashion and goes with the style of bike. If you like big cruisers I think the old style stuff looks great, but not really on a Hayabusa or Fireblade surly? And if you are talking a pre war style bike, I'm afraid I would not want to look like a dirty old man in my army surplus mac, unless I was doing some kind of re-enactment no way would I be seen dead in a despatch riders coat. Thats where the wax cotton style rules the road. Just as full modern race replica leathers look stupid on a Vincent Black Shadow, as would wax cotton on my Busa(except for going to work in the rain of course).
I have an old BSA A65 in pieces that is to be sold, it was my rider for 12 years. With that I have an Eastman Luftwaffe with zip pockets and an old Kangol jet helmet with Mk8 goggs. but if I am bombing along on the Busa then it's on with my full face and GO GO Power Rangers!
:DJohnny, definitely not Strabler.

Edward

Bartender
BBC 3 Edward. Not a bad program of a rarely covered topic.

Oi you lot! What is wrong with us Power Rangers? It's only fashion and goes with the style of bike. If you like big cruisers I think the old style stuff looks great, but not really on a Hayabusa or Fireblade surly? And if you are talking a pre war style bike, I'm afraid I would not want to look like a dirty old man in my army surplus mac, unless I was doing some kind of re-enactment no way would I be seen dead in a despatch riders coat. Thats where the wax cotton style rules the road. Just as full modern race replica leathers look stupid on a Vincent Black Shadow, as would wax cotton on my Busa(except for going to work in the rain of course).
I have an old BSA A65 in pieces that is to be sold, it was my rider for 12 years. With that I have an Eastman Luftwaffe with zip pockets and an old Kangol jet helmet with Mk8 goggs. but if I am bombing along on the Busa then it's on with my full face and GO GO Power Rangers!
:DJohnny, definitely not Strabler.

Yeah, it's a style choice. I've got zero interest in modern style racing bikes - it's the complete aesthetic is the turn off for me, and I'm also not interested in the performance-bike thing. Where I would compromise would be if I had the time and money to run a bike these days I'd buy one of the modern Royal Enfields - 50s style, but with some useful upgrades, like indicators and the electric start. Just the small 350cc Bullet, nothing big an inefficient like Harleys. ;)

IXL

One Too Many
I have a XR1200X Harley......coolest bike on the planet. Jackets
worn while riding it are usually of the classic biker style, including a Schott #118.

I ride a 1979 Honda CB750, 1982 Suzuki GS1100ez & 2000 Harley Road King Classic.
Cafe Racer jacket with all 3, full face helmet on the older scoots & skid lid on the RKC; they don't have windshields.
I wear chaps on the Harley & Kevlar lined jeans on the other 2.
Never cared for the Perfecto look mainly cause of all the zippers & the belt.
I've got a half black denim/half leather HD perfecto-style that was a gift but never wear it riding, thinking of loading it with patches & pins.
Had a 1970 Triumph Trophy 500 for years too.

IXL

One Too Many
I also have a Road King Classic: great road bike! And for the less-than-well-maintained roads around here, there is the BMW R1200GS, which seems to demand a cafe racer style of jacket.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I also have a Road King Classic: great road bike! And for the less-than-well-maintained roads around here, there is the BMW R1200GS, which seems to demand a cafe racer style of jacket.

The Road king, basically an Electra Glide, hardly changed from the 1960s, a Classic American cruiser, they will still be building these for years to come.
Now the 1200GS, thats an adventure bike so personally I think Gortex with lots of pockets rather than leather. A great bike getting more complicated as the years go by. Then again all bikes are these days, gone are the days of getting home with no clutch because the cable has snapped, that was the thing with the old bikes, you could bodge a get home plan usually unless the engine blew up.

The sports bike thing is only a development of the Cafe racer of the 60s, even the Royal Enfield Continental GT was a way to get learners on a legal bike with race bike looks, except the 5 speed was always going wrong and being replaced with the standard 4.
One big myth these days is that 'Rockers' rode things like BSA Gold Stars. Well the Gold Star was a factory built race bike for the road and thus was quite an expensive machine usually well out of the pocket for most teenagers in those days. Hence the development of the cafe racer type bike such as the Triton, built from spares such as a Norton ES2 'Featherbed' frame and 'Roadholder' forks, fitted with a twin carb Triumph 650cc engine.
By the late 1970s, the Japanese bikes had progressed and the British were still building the same old bikes basically that they had been since the 1960s. The Japanese bikes were going faster but did not handle that well, speed was what the young kids wanted and the Japs had it by the bucket load. But when the youngsters started to kill themselves, something had to be done and sports motorcycles have now become so fast that the average age for a biker in Britain is in his/her 40s simply due to insurance restrictions.
Now though, in the UK the Adventure bike is becoming more popular and the sports bikes are dropping off a little.
Have to admit, the new Enfield Conti GT looks nice but I would miss the old fashioned kick starter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou