Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Capricorn Review

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
RobFedoraField said:
the "green under" is where the line hat with a green felt (not sure what it's made of) to reduce sun comming thru the weave of the straw and to reduce glare.

haven't had a hat with it no so I can't really give a review.

Hmmmmm. I thought it was just for cosmetic appearance. Sounds interesting.

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
skyvue said:
Hat Doc, did the band come with the hat? I'm looking at it on Everything Australian, and there's no mention of a band color other than black.

And does anyone know if Capricorn can be special ordered in larger sizes?

And finally, does anyone know if there's a difference in crown height between the Capricorn and the Rink?

Yep. What you see is what came out ot the box.

I'll know more about the Rink when it arrives.

Re: larger sizes: shoot an email to EA....they'll be able to tell you.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I bet that copper color was nice....I wonder if anyone else still has them? Ya know Hatsdirect has a lot of stock that they don't even list.[huh]

MCrider

A-List Customer
Count me in!

Just when I was thinking that I may need to order a Capricorn as a summer hat there's this wonderful review with pictures even! Well as the title goes, count me in on this one, I plan to order one by the weekend. Hope all of you who are talking about getting one also don't end up putting me on the backorder list!;)

HatDoc, thanks again for your insight into the mystery of the Akubra Capricorn. Now that I've seen it, I gotta have one.

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
MCrider said:
Just when I was thinking that I may need to order a Capricorn as a summer hat there's this wonderful review with pictures even! Well as the title goes, count me in on this one, I plan to order one by the weekend. Hope all of you who are talking about getting one also don't end up putting me on the backorder list!;)

HatDoc, thanks again for your insight into the mystery of the Akubra Capricorn. Now that I've seen it, I gotta have one.

You're welcome. Just following the lead of many others who have posted nice reviews.

I know what you mean about the backorder list....l ordered 2 more right after I posted the review to avoid just that.

MCrider

A-List Customer
Well thinking about it after I posted and seeing that you ordered TWO more :eek: Capricorns HatDoc, I decided that there was no reason to wait. Going to the Everything Australian site, I crossed my fingers and ordered a Capricorn in the fawn color. I didn't see anything about the dreaded backorder, so hopefully I'll be the proud owner of a Capricorn in about two weeks. Now I just have to keep myself from exploding while I wait!

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, Hatdoc, after seeing your review I decided I need one of those Akubra Capricorns, so I popped for one tonight along with a Country Club. It looks to me like the country club is the same hat as the rink, but the cc has a 3 inch brim.

I already have five felt Akubras, and if these are as good as those I'm gonna love 'em.

Thanks for the tip and for the great review.

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Yes, thanks for the informative post. I'm now only waiting for your take on the Rink before I place another EA order.

Funny, before your great review I'd been looking at the Akubra synthetic straws, and the two that caught my eye were the Capricorn and the Rink. Having HD preview these is very helpful!

BTW, what about sizing? My Stylemaster is a 61, and I had to shrink it down quite a bit before it was right, and with wear it's become a perfect fit. I imagine that polypro is a different story when it comes to "shrinking in" than fur felt, but the leather sweat may give it some ability to form fit.

carldelo

One Too Many
Capricorn in size 62 - almost

HatDoc said:
Yep. What you see is what came out ot the box.

I'll know more about the Rink when it arrives.

Re: larger sizes: shoot an email to EA....they'll be able to tell you.

Per Hatdoc's suggestion, I emailed EA re: larger sizes of the Capricorn. Here's their reply:

Hi Carl,

Thank you for your email, after speaking with Akubra I can give you a
definitive answer; The Capricorn cannot be made in a size 62, however it can
be made in size 61 with a cloth/fabric internal hatband (instead of the
usual leather), and they told me that this would increase the size to close
to 62 centimeters. Please note that this would be a special order and it
would thus take 2 - 3 months to be made. If you would like to proceed with
this course of action please order a size 61 and put in the special comments
section "CLOTH INTERNAL HATBAND INSTEAD OF LEATHER". I hope this was of
help.

Kind Regards

Sam Menche

www.everythingaustralian.com.au

So the short answer is no to larger sizes in general, but for those size 62s like me, with only marginal cranial gigantism, it may work out. The 3 month wait is just about perfect for summer - now I have to decide what else I might want from them - the Rink looks good, and maybe a Campdraft, hmmm....

Goose.

Practically Family
HatDoc said:
Summary:

This hat is a winner. It wears and looks great. It'll take the rain without losing it's shape.

I'll be ordering a Gray one when I finish this review. I'm also going to order a Cream-colored "Rink", which appears to be the same hat.

So.....that's about it. If you're looking for a nice straw that can withstand the weather, order the Akubra Capricorn with confidence.

--Randy--
(aka: HatDoc)
Randy...

I keep coming back to this thread.
Reminds me of an old "Twilight Zone" episode where this guy, Franklin, was trying not to gamble. But this slot maching kept calling his name. He heard it often. Finally, it was in his hotel room...calling "Franklin. Franklin". Won't spoil the rest.

But this Capricorn keeps whispering "Goose. Goose". I hear it in my sleep!!!
Well, off to my budget spreadsheet to see where this may fit in...or just call it a day and jump out the window...whoops...spoiled the TZ ending :(

Thanks Hat Doc for being a pusher to my weakness... ;)

TopSpin

New in Town
A great, insightful review--a couple of Loungers recommended the Capricorn to me a while back. Looks like I no longer have a reason NOT to buy one. ;)

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Are these hats flexible in the least? I'm paranoid of super stiff poly-straw hats, such as those I see in the western style. The ones I've handled look and feel that they'd crack if bent. Are these Capricorns that stiff?

MCrider

A-List Customer
Twilight Zone?

Goose,
That was just too funny comparing that episode to the Capricorn calling your name. You had me laughing so hard and for that I thank you!

Oh, by the way... Please don't jump. :)

carldelo

One Too Many
Large size update

I received an update to my previous email from EA, to whit:

Hi Carl,

I spoke with Akubra again today and they told me new information that the
Capricorn can be made as a size 62 with the original leather hatband but
this would make it an indent order and would thus take 3 months, sorry about
the info in the last email.

Kind Regards

Sam Menche​

So I'll be ordering a size 62 Capricorn in grey soon, right after I decide what else to add to the order. I'm currently considering a Stylemaster in Navy and a Campdraft in taupe fawn, though the silver belly is tempting, not to mention the new glen grey shown over at HD.

PS - perhaps this implies that a size 62 could be custom made with a fabric sweat to get it up to a size 63?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot