Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Capricorn Review

jpbales

Practically Family
that hat looks really nice! when I'm in the neighborhood for a milan-type hat, that's probably going to be at the top of the list!

Goose.

Practically Family
Wrote EA to check inventory on the Capricorn.

The response is below. I am concerned that the grey would too "plasticy" (tech term).

Besides the one on the EA site, does anyone have a pic or two (or knowledge) of a Capricorn or other Akubra poly in grey that can be posted?

Thanks...

From Sam at EA:
"Hi Goose,

Thank you for your email.
To keep my prices down I try to limit my stock.
It will take me a week to get from Akubra a Capricorn in Fawn or Grey size
The colours Green and Copper are now discontinued.
If you have any questions please ask.

Kind Regards

Sam"

Goose.

Practically Family
MCrider said:
Goose,
That was just too funny comparing that episode to the Capricorn calling your name. You had me laughing so hard and for that I thank you!

Oh, by the way... Please don't jump. :)
Hey MCRider...
Funny you remember that episode too :D
Well, I succumbed to the call of the Capricorn instead of jumping out of the window (or was Franklin really pushed?) ;)

Interesting that I remember three Twilight Zone episodes from being a kid...that one and the William Shatner "there's something on the wing!".

Anyway, ordered a grey 60. Got a message from Sam at EA that says I'll have it on my noggin in about two weeks.

All I can think about is wearing a plastic Dairy Queen banana split bowl on my head. But, from the pic in the OP, I think I'll be ok.
Just worried/concerned about the grey. Figured I will test drive it for the betterment of my Fedora Brethren. For the dinero, it's a good deal, if I like it and a lesson on plastic hats if I don't
I must suffer so that others may learn. ;) DAMN! I'm such a "giver".

Seriously, I'm thinking it'll be spiffy and make me look like a cool Daddio.

Check you hep cats later!

Goose.

Practically Family
Well...it is the "Akubra Twilight Zone"...my hope for quickly obtaining my grey Capricorn was fiction. :(

About twenty minutes after I posted that I had ordered one, I eceived the following message:

"Hi Goose,

I have just spoken with Akubra, and they told me that there will be a 3
month wait for the colour grey. I am really sorry for getting your hopes up,
I fell terrible for this, but Akubra have very recently made this change. I
understand if you would like to cancel your order. Please let me know what
you would like to do.

I apologize for any inconvenience that may have been caused.

Kind Regards

Sam"

I did thank Sam for his quick and fortcoming communication on the topic. He had some other plastraws that wouldn't take three months. But I really wanted the grey Capricorn. Checking on a fawn now.

You other gents that were faster on pulling the trigger than me, I recall that some ordered grey. Color nothwithstanding, what have you been hearing about delivery?

Was thinking of posting this in the "Akubra Delays" thread but thought this is the section of the bar where all the "What's your sign? - Capricorn" guys hang out.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RobFedoraField said:
the "green under" is where the line hat with a green felt (not sure what it's made of) to reduce sun comming thru the weave of the straw and to reduce glare.

haven't had a hat with it no so I can't really give a review.

I ordered a fawn Capricorn and a cream Country Club from EA. Today I got an e-mail from Sam saying the cream Country Club is out of stock and will take three months to get. He offered to switch the hat to a cream/green under Country Club if I wished and sent a picture of a green under Rink to show me what it looks like. I don't care for the look myself, but somebody else might.

DSCN2460.jpg

Posted in another thread but thought I'd mention it here as well. I asked Sam at EA about a Zephyr. He said he could get them & fawn was in stock color, others would take a long wait time. I'm pulling the trigger on a fawn Zephyr size 61 & will post the results....

carldelo

One Too Many
gtdean48 said:
Posted in another thread but thought I'd mention it here as well. I asked Sam at EA about a Zephyr. He said he could get them & fawn was in stock color, others would take a long wait time. I'm pulling the trigger on a fawn Zephyr size 51 & will post the results....

Did those Borneo head-shrinkers do a number on you, or what? Guess you'll have your pick of the small hats from here on out.... ;)

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Capricorn from Hatsdirect!

I emailed Hatsdirect yesterday regarding their possibly having the Capricorn in stock. In a prompt response, Jenny informed me that although Hatsdirect does not stock the Capricorn, Akubra has it available as part of their stock service and Hatsdirect can get one in about a week, but in Fawn only. Green and Grey are available by special order with delivery in May.

I like Hatsdirect, so today I ordered one for a total cost of AUD $85.60, or USD $56.66, including shipping by regular airmail. I used EMS last time I ordered from them, and I don't think the few days it shaved off regular airmail were worth the added cost.

As regards fit, I asked Jenny if I should order absolutely true to my size, which is right at 59, since the polypropylene construction of the hat will preclude shrinkage. She replied that although this is true, the sweatband is made of leather which certainly will shrink somewhat. Also, she says that the crown of the hat has virtually no "give" to it, and if my head tends towards an oval shape- which it does- I should go for a size 60 to ensure a good fit front-to-back, and then use spacers on the sides as necessary.

As always, I am impressed by Hatsdirect's customer service, and I am looking forward to receiving my Capricorn!

Goose.

Practically Family
Well Randy...
Seems like you should get a cut from Akubra for the rush on Capricorn hats.
Just got word that my fawn shipped today.

Really wanted the grey, but if I like this one enuf, that may be in the works when they ramp up.

Would be interesting to see all the fawn Capricorns bobbing around in the crowd if we all ever got together.
We'd have to ID each other by pins or feathers.
But, if lookin' for you, one would only have to ask for the "dapper one"...and the reply would be, "oh yeah, he's over there...third Capricorn from the right...the gent in the scrubs". :)

Anyway, thanks again HatDoc for the post w/ great pics.
:eusa_clap

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
Goose. said:
Well Randy...
Seems like you should get a cut from Akubra for the rush on Capricorn hats.
Just got word that my fawn shipped today.

Really wanted the grey, but if I like this one enuf, that may be in the works when they ramp up.

Would be interesting to see all the fawn Capricorns bobbing around in the crowd if we all ever got together.
We'd have to ID each other by pins or feathers.
But, if lookin' for you, one would only have to ask for the "dapper one"...and the reply would be, "oh yeah, he's over there...third Capricorn from the right...the gent in the scrubs". :)

Anyway, thanks again HatDoc for the post w/ great pics.
:eusa_clap

No prob, Goose......glad to help.

Post some photos when your hat arrives.

ToughHouseRook

New in Town
I wanted a second hat for the Ga summers and ordered a Capicorn after seeing this thread. Took about 14 days from order to at my door but it was worth the wait!

Strange thing is my ribbon is slightly different from the one pictured, would have preferred to have that one. Mine is rather plain... Other than that I am very happy with the hat, fit is perfect and quality is top notch.

I can't wait for it to warm up so I can break it in!

yoonie

Familiar Face
I have one on the way, thanks to your dastardly review. Here's hoping it stands up to the abuse of 8+ hours a day of sun and sweat!

Goose.

Practically Family
HatDoc said:
...I'll be ordering a Gray one when I finish this review. ...

Randy...
Did you order/receive your grey Capricorn yet? If so, and you posted pics, I apologize for asking what has an obvious answer. If that is the case, can you post pics or direct me to the link where they may be?

Here's an update on my Carpricorn: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=762621&postcount=9578

My pug looks different than your pug. Do wish it was a true ribbon instead personally.
:)

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
Goose. said:

Randy...
Did you order/receive your grey Capricorn yet? If so, and you posted pics, I apologize for asking what has an obvious answer. If that is the case, can you post pics or direct me to the link where they may be?

Here's an update on my Carpricorn: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=762621&postcount=9578

My pug looks different than your pug. Do wish it was a true ribbon instead personally.
:)

No....probably another 1-2 months before I get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto