Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Capricorn Review

carldelo

One Too Many
RobFedoraField said:
ok, it's come to my attention that you guys can't see my pics, has anyone had experience using google images / picassa to show image?

I've been able to see them ok with no problems.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
RobFedoraField said:
ok, it's come to my attention that you guys can't see my pics, has anyone had experience using google images / picassa to show image?

Yesterday, I couldn't see them, but I could right click where the image should have been, copy the properties and paste in the browser. Not always worth the time, but I was interested in a comparison of the two hats. Today I see them in your post just fine. They both look good.

Goose.

Practically Family
Chuck Bobuck said:
Yesterday, I couldn't see them, but I could right click where the image should have been, copy the properties and paste in the browser. Not always worth the time, but I was interested in a comparison of the two hats. Today I see them in your post just fine. They both look good.
Yep, ditto twice. Meaning that I did what Chuck did to view them earlier and I agree that they look good. I actually like the Country Club over the Carpricorn on ya. Maybe I "need" to get one too ;)

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:
Yep, ditto twice. Meaning that I did what Chuck did to view them earlier and I agree that they look good. I actually like the Country Club over the Carpricorn on ya. Maybe I "need" to get one too ;)

Yeah, it's kind of panama-ish. And if they really are recycled pop bottles, we're doing our part to go green. :)

tracyam

One of the Regulars
Got mine about awhile back. Great hat! I've been wearing it practically everyday. It does have a weird crunchy texture to it though.
P4250630.jpg

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
My Capricorn is on it's way, but it's going to be a Father's Day gift! :eusa_doh:

Since "Straw Hat Day" for me is May first, when the summer dress code kicks in ( "walking" shorts, collared shirts, but no sandals) I had to grab something quick, so I spent $10 on a cheap straw golf hat with the dreaded "one size fits all" elastic terry band. I steamed the brim and gave it a Fedora flip.

I'm hoping it will stay together until the Akubra replaces it on Dad's day, and relegates the golf hat to yardwork and fishing duty.

Goose.

Practically Family
tracyam said:
Got mine about awhile back. Great hat! I've been wearing it practically everyday. It does have a weird crunchy texture to it though.
Cool pic.

Have only had mine a couple of months and agree; great hat.
Funny about the "crunchy" texture that you mentioned, I'd never thought of it that way. Crunchy. Having two, I noticed that the older one has less crunch than the new one. So, maybe after a bit yours' will soften up a bit too (??).

TopGumby, I think the hat you are going to wear in the interim will make you appreciate the Capricorn even moreso :) Please post your thoughts when it arrives.

dress code???

TopGumby said:
My Capricorn is on it's way, but it's going to be a Father's Day gift! :eusa_doh:

Since "Straw Hat Day" for me is May first, when the summer dress code kicks in ( "walking" shorts, collared shirts, but no sandals) I had to grab something quick, so I spent $10 on a cheap straw golf hat with the dreaded "one size fits all" elastic terry band. I steamed the brim and gave it a Fedora flip.

I'm hoping it will stay together until the Akubra replaces it on Dad's day, and relegates the golf hat to yardwork and fishing duty.

ok, I'm game for the walking shorts and polo's, but what shoes do you favor? I can't imagine you wear sneakers?

I've been trying to figure out this conundrum out myself.

Goose.

Practically Family
RobFedoraField said:
ok, I'm game for the walking shorts and polo's, but what shoes do you favor? I can't imagine you wear sneakers?

I've been trying to figure out this conundrum out myself.
Too funny. After I left the last post I was wondering about that myself. Not that I'd adhere, but curious indeed. Too many rules. I had a hard enough time with trying to figure out it it was "no white after Labor Day". Or was it "Memorial Day"?

Here's the shoes I wore the last time my Capricorn was on my head. Think it was shortly after National Pecan Day (April 14th).

519925264_RQras-Th.jpg

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:
Too funny. After I left the last post I was wondering about that myself. Not that I'd adhere, but curious indeed. Too many rules. I had a hard enough time with trying to figure out it it was "no white after Labor Day". Or was it "Memorial Day"?

Here's the shoes I wore the last time my Capricorn was on my head. Think it was shortly after National Pecan Day (April 14th).

519925264_RQras-Th.jpg

I'm all function over form...

For leisure, I have to wear a running or walking shoe, like a Brooks Adrenaline. I like the mesh construction for hotter months. I've had a metatarsal issue with one foot and a painful arch with the other, so I need to encapsulate my dogs with as much cushion, support, and protection as possible. So fashion be darned, give me comfort and security any day. Also, I wear a size 13 or 14, narrow shoe, so you know someone with feet that big is going to be stubbing toes regularly in a pair of flip flops.

And May 1st? In my location it's 48 degrees, but feels like 44, with light rain. I have my raincoat and my Hanna flatcap today. One day soon I'll be wearing my Capricorn though. Sportin' some crunch....yeah baby!

Goose.

Practically Family
Chuck Bobuck said:
Yeah, it's kind of panama-ish. And if they really are recycled pop bottles, we're doing our part to go green. :)
Chuck Bobuck said:
I'm all function over form...
... One day soon I'll be wearing my Capricorn though. Sportin' some crunch....yeah baby!
So, somewhere I read that it takes eight bunnies to make one Federation IV Deluxe. How many plastic grocery bags, pop bottles, or combination of both, to make one Capricorn? ;)

Cap'n Crunch taking Chuck's advice...
525641136_F9Y9m-S.jpg

Sportin' some crunch....yeah baby!

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:
So, somewhere I read that it takes eight bunnies to make one Federation IV Deluxe. How many plastic grocery bags, pop bottles, or combination of both, to make one Capricorn? ;)

I'm estimating at least a dozen. Yes, about 12 plastic bottles to make one Capricorn. Plus 2 scoops of Cap'n Crunch. Remember...you can also recycle by cutting down a plastic bottle to make your scoop.

Kangarooandbottles.jpg

Goose, this is pretty funny. Looks like everyone's wearing a Capricorn these days. lol

Goose. said:

Cap'n Crunch taking Chuck's advice...
525641136_F9Y9m-S.jpg

Sportin' some crunch....yeah baby!

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Awesome Capricorn on the Cap'n, but I think it should be gray.

As to the shoes....it's tough. Boat shoes with socks? Uhhh.....

I really ought to wear my saddle shoes and argyle socks just to be contrary.

Instead I went with sneaks and those stupid white ankle sock.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Ahh! 70 degrees today. Time to break out the Capricorn. Notice mine does not have the fancy ribbon, it's only brown with no other color. I came here about a year ago looking for ideas on a hat to wear in the Summer. I think the Capricorn should fit the bill, or brim in this case and give me a little shade.

Capricorn_3481_crop-2.jpg

tracyam

One of the Regulars
Question for other Capricorn owners

Is it safe to wear my Capricorn in the rain? The hat is pretty stiff right now. If it gets wet will it taper and lose the crown shape?
Hope all of you are enjoying yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.

carldelo

One Too Many
tracyam said:
Is it safe to wear my Capricorn in the rain? The hat is pretty stiff right now. If it gets wet will it taper and lose the crown shape?
Hope all of you are enjoying yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.

I have two polypro hats (different maker) and water has no effect - I wear them in the rain with no problem - they both have coolmax fabric sweats. The Capricorn has a leather sweat which I assume can shrink, but I don't believe the crown will have any reason to taper if it gets wet. My gray Capricorn is on the way, and I'm interested to see how the sweatband will fare, as I indeed sweat in the summer and will undoubtedly get rained on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner