Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Capricorn Review

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:

Below are pics of the Capricorn and Hayman on my noggin.
Later on, I'll write some more including how my grey Capricorn made it back to me.

Thinking the Capricorn does better on fat mug. Since you are the few that know about lids, I'm interested in what you hat cats think...Comments?

Capricorn ...................................Hayman
539008491_5oPVU-S-1.jpg
539008430_FfNfy-S-1.jpg

You pull off the smaller brim very well, I almost like the Hayman the best in the photos. But, it's close and they're both very similar. Both look great. I like the gray the more I see it.

TopGumby and Tampahound, the lids also look great.

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Goose, I'm thinking that both work for you, but that wider brim is working overtime.

I like the balance of the look with the Capricorn, but I think the Hayman looks a little more like a day off.

I'd say go with the Hayman for the beer on the beach, and the Capricorn for the cocktail at the restaraunt with the view of the beach...if that makes any sense.

Goose.

Practically Family

Looking good Jeff! Great match with that suit color.

Hey Top Gumby and Chuck Bobuck, thanks for the comments. The Hayman has been the one I lean towards as well. Indeed, when compared to the Hayman, the Capricorn brim seems to be working overtime as you stated. Interesting what a quarter inch can do.

Well, the guy that admired my grey Capricorn gave it back to me. Said he never wore it and felt bad as he knew I would. Indicated that as much as he liked "hats" that he couldn't ever feel comfortable wearing one around town.
So, what the heck, I told him what we tell others here...you'll get used to it and others will too. I didn't try to convince him too hard though ;)

Here, are the three polystraws I have in a lineup. Some have wondered about the "shine". You can see that the Fawn has less shine...have had it the longest (just a couple months now). Shine still there, but wearing. The third pic looks more pronounced with the "shine", but keep in mind that the hat is wet from being hosed down.

Also, one cool thing about the Capricorn that I couldn't do with a real straw or a felt...got dirty working the yard. Sprayed with a hose. Viola!

539008635_nT2t8-M.jpg

550314147_Ta5bB-S.jpg
550314568_cacvv-S.jpg

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:

Here, are the three polystraws I have in a lineup. Some have wondered about the "shine". You can see that the Fawn has less shine...have had it the longest (just a couple months now). Shine still there, but wearing. The third pic looks more pronounced with the "shine", but keep in mind that the hat is wet from being hosed down.

Also, one cool thing about the Capricorn that I couldn't do with a real straw or a felt...got dirty working the yard. Sprayed with a hose. Viola!

550314147_Ta5bB-S.jpg

That must be some pretty serious yardwork, that is one muddy Capricorn.
J/K lol Good to know it will take the abuse. I still reach for my Campdraft when it rains.

I'm still enjoying my Capricorn. The wind about lifted it straight off my head a couple of weeks ago. I had to hold it tight with my hand while taking my walk. It has conformed nicely to my head now. Of the hats I've been wearing, it's the one my wife likes the best. She thinks my CD's and Fed are too tall in the crown.

Anyone know what felt Akubra is proportionally similar to the Capricorn? Sydney, Stylemaster...?

Goose.

Practically Family
Hey Chuck Bobuck...
It started innocently enough...do some weeding. Then I decided to hose down some hard clay soil and hit it with a pick. Next time I'll probably wear my Duluth Packer.

I will take some compare pics of the Capricorn next to my Sydney later on...today or tomorrow. Will post in this thread.

RobFedoraField...
The pleather sweatband is fine :)

551980836_iaSGd-S.jpg

Goose.

Practically Family
Chuck Chuck Bobuck Banana Fana Fo Chuck...

Here ya go Brother. A Sydney next to a Capricorn.

Brim: both just a smidge under 2.5"

Crown:
Capricorn front = 4 3/8" rear = 3 7/8"
Sydney front = 4 1/8" rear = 3 3/4"

554122587_i5kTf-M-1.jpg
554122080_Pn6KT-M-1.jpg
554122322_dcDoY-M-1.jpg

The pics are somewhat deceiving as the Sydney sits flat whereas the Capricorn, having a rigid poly brim, sits higher off the table.
Should've taken the pics on hat stands...but hopefully this gives you some idea.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:
Chuck Chuck Bobuck Banana Fana Fo Chuck...

Here ya go Brother. A Sydney next to a Capricorn.

Brim: both just a smidge under 2.5"

Crown:
Capricorn front = 4 3/8" rear = 3 7/8"
Sydney front = 4 1/8" rear = 3 3/4"

554122587_i5kTf-M-1.jpg
554122080_Pn6KT-M-1.jpg
554122322_dcDoY-M-1.jpg

The pics are somewhat deceiving as the Sydney sits flat whereas the Capricorn having a rigid poly brim sits higher of the table. Should've taken the pics on hat stands...but hopefully this gives you some idea.

That really is deceiving. My first thought was the fedora's crown looks way too short, especially with those measurements. Just 1/4" shorter in the crown than the Cap. Hold on, I'll be right back...
...okay, had to measure a Dobbs centerdent. It's not too far off from that. Might work alright. Wonder how it would handle a centerdent. Thanks for the images Brother Goose, appreciate. My father in law wants to get a Capricorn, so I thought I'd throw some carbon in on the order. :)

capricorn and Country Club

got to say that I'm still lovin' my crunchin hats, but I've noticed that in bright light the large white brim of the country club makes you feel like you have a florescent bulb shining in your eyes, after a little research (akubra's website and BobC's posts) I've realized why they sell these with a "green under" option, so with a little felt and some tack stitches as a trial, I gave it a while and it makes a HUGE difference and the hat is so much more conforable in the sun, even to the point to where I don't have to wear sunglasses all the time.

I ran the felt back to where it starts to break, and it's not noticeable to others when I'm sportin' the lid.

img002.jpg

img009.jpg

img010.jpg

oh, and sorry for the large file size, couldn't shrink them at work

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Forgot about this thread. I wear my Capricorn about everyday to work and for a noon walk around the work complex. My father-in-law admired it and so I ordered him one as well. He just started wearing fedoras recently, but wool or fabric ones. He loves it and wears his all the time.

carldelo

One Too Many
Stylemaster comparison

Chuck Bobuck said:
Anyone know what felt Akubra is proportionally similar to the Capricorn? Sydney, Stylemaster...?

I bought a Stylemaster along with my Capricorn last spring - I think they look very similar - all the main dimensions are within 1/8". The teardrop is slightly wider on the Capricorn, so the sides look a little straighter vs. the slight taper of the Stylemaster.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Carldelo, that size 62 Sydney you sold me many months back is finally loosened up and fitting me well, but I don't think I could count on a Capricorn reshaping itself to my head that way.

I am correct, then, that the largest Capricorn might not be quite big enough for me?

carldelo

One Too Many
skyvue said:
Carldelo, that size 62 Sydney you sold me many months back is finally loosened up and fitting me well, but I don't think I could count on a Capricorn reshaping itself to my head that way.

I am correct, then, that the largest Capricorn might not be quite big enough for me?

Well, I'm sitting here with my Capricorn on - it fits pretty well, maybe a tiny bit loose, so it's on target at size 62. The opening is about 8-5/8 by 6-3/4. I can stretch it lengthwise to nearly 8-7/8 but the brim starts to deform significantly. Any more than that and the brim goes all wonky, so I guess it depends on how much of a long oval you are.

I'd get in touch with Sam at Everything Australian - he was the one who got Akubra to start making the Capricorn in size 62 at my request (it was only available up to 61 before). Maybe he can get them to make a long oval for you and you could have the first one - it seems like it should be possible, as your proper size is 61 long oval, isn't it? It would be much better to have the long oval shape locked into the poly with the sweatband.

I assume you already know the Akubra Rink comes up to size 64, although it's only offered in white and cream, appears not to have a bound edge and you would have big gaps on the sides if you got a 63 or 64 to accommodate your long oval.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
carldelo said:
I'd get in touch with Sam at Everything Australian - he was the one who got Akubra to start making the Capricorn in size 62 at my request (it was only available up to 61 before). Maybe he can get them to make a long oval for you and you could have the first one

I wrote to Sam, asking if it was possible to get a Rink with a bound brim (and get the ribbon and binding in brown); I also asked if it was possible to get a Capricorn in 63 or even 64.

He's going to check with Akubra on Monday and get back to me.

I also asked the same of Hats Direct and they responded with the following:

No Capricorn in 62 at the moment. Akubra make up to a 62 in Long Island, Country Club and Broadbeach and to 64 in The Rink. The 62 and over have a cloth band on the inside so don't shrink as much as felt Akubras. Check the link below for these styles:

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?group=Akubra+Hats

The Long Island is the closest to the Capricorn but has a narrower brim.

We're meeting with Akubra in a few weeks and on our list is asking them about larger sizes in Capricorn and Hayman so we can let you know how that goes.

Oddly, though, I don't find the Long Island, Country Club or Broadbeach on their web site -- at the above link or anywhere else.

I'm heartened to learn that they plan on discussing the possibility of larger Capricorns with the Akubra folks in a few weeks, though.

carldelo

One Too Many
skyvue said:
Oddly, though, I don't find the Long Island, Country Club or Broadbeach on their web site -- at the above link or anywhere else.

Yeah, that is funny - here they are: http://www.akubra.com.au/products_straws.html
I myself might have preferred the Hayman over the Capricorn had I known it existed, as it has a somewhat narrower brim.

BTW, my Capricorn did not come with a fabric sweatband - it's pleather as in the other Capricorns, not the usual high-quality leather sweat they use in felts. I wouldn't have minded a fabric band, I think they're nice in hot weather.

I still think it's a good idea to ask Sam about getting a 61 made as a long oval, I think a lot of folks would like to have the option.

Revive this old thread...

As I anxiously await spring and wamer weather, I went ahead and ordered a Grey Capricorn to go with my fawn. I absolutely love these hats for summer and i love the fact that they are cooler than my prior summer attire (ball caps).

I did notice that I rarely wore my country club because 3" of brim is a lot for going to work (yes, I work in an office) or the store. does anyone know if you can cut these down? I called Gary White over in buffalo and he said it can't be done, but the tone in his voice said "I don't want to be bothered"

has anyone had experience in trimming the brim on a poly straw?

img009.jpg

if it's a real hassle, I may just keep it as is and use it for hiking, yard work etc. since I will have two capricorns to rotate thru.

does anyone have the green or copper ones? just curious to see the color in a real life setting.

sorry for my ramblings, I think my brain froze this morning on the way into work.

:)

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
carldelo said:
I still think it's a good idea to ask Sam about getting a 61 made as a long oval, I think a lot of folks would like to have the option.

I asked him about that and about requesting some larger sizes. Here's his response, after speaking with the Akubra folks:

So I found out from Akubra that they will not do special orders on hats that they import (Rink and Capricorn); they cannot make them long oval either. The Capricorn can't be made as a 63 (size 62 is the largest and this would take 3 months to make). The rink goes up to size 64, though.

Those aren't the answers I was looking for, alas.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Getting ready to go trudge through snow AGAIN to go home for the night.

Thanks for giving me something to hope for.

I think I'll turn up the heat, slip on an aloha shirt and get out the straw fedoras and dream of spring

Thanks guys,

Sam:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner