Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Capricorn Review

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Just an update on my soon to be three year old Capricorn.

The "Akubra" label detached from the inside of the crown. It had gotten funky enough that it wasn't worth trying to salvage.

Other than that, it's doing great. Survived a trip to Disneyland where it got shoved in some hat unfriendly places during rides. Gets worn to and from work and while doing the yard chores. I've hosed it off a few times when I got it dirty, and it looks great.

I've always wanted a Panama, but this hat has been such a perfect match for the Pacific Northwest Spring and Summer that I'm tempted to get another fantastic plastic Akubratastic lid in white instead.

Well, maybe along with.

RBH

Bartender
Just an update on my soon to be three year old Capricorn.

The "Akubra" label detached from the inside of the crown. It had gotten funky enough that it wasn't worth trying to salvage.

Other than that, it's doing great. Survived a trip to Disneyland where it got shoved in some hat unfriendly places during rides. Gets worn to and from work and while doing the yard chores. I've hosed it off a few times when I got it dirty, and it looks great.

I've always wanted a Panama, but this hat has been such a perfect match for the Pacific Northwest Spring and Summer that I'm tempted to get another fantastic plastic Akubratastic lid in white instead.

Well, maybe along with.

Looks pretty good.

Caprigrill2.jpg

Caprigrill.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I've been wearing mine for about a year now and I've been very pleased. While not as attractive as some Panamas I've owned in the past, its a great everyday and travel hat. No need to worry about rain, getting crushed in an overhead bin on a plane, etc.

397551746.jpg

397551762.jpg

I've just gotten a Country Club in and I've been enjoying that one was well. It looks a bit sharper than the Capricorn, and has a wider brim. I will have a fuller review after I've worn it more.

402004401.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I really appreciate everyone that has posted regarding the akubra "straw" hat line here. I actually like very much how these hats look. They have a better, almost "vintage" look than anything anyone else is making these days.

Time for me to get one, I like my Stetson straws, but I think I will like the akubra better.

Peregrine

New in Town
HI, newbie here!

The Akubra Capricorn was the first "proper" hat I bought (a grey one, from Everything Australian) about five years ago. I agree with all the nice things people on here have said about it; looks good, hard wearing, and comfortable. I've gone on to buy three more Akubras since then, I'm rarely seen out of doors without a hat these past few years, having come to hat wearing fairly late in life.

Back to the Capricorn; I bought this without the knowledge of my then wife, and wore it to a rugby match where we were meeting up after work one Friday. She took one look at it and said "I'm not going to be seen in public with you if you're going to wear a stupid hat like that!"

As I alluded to earlier, she's now my ex wife. I should have bought that hat years earlier...:D

Peregrine

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome, and there's no need to be sorry - I'm not! I am lucky now - the luckiest man in Christendom - to have the love of a lady who shares my interests in having fun and looking good! ;)

(Correction - she looks good, I try my best!)

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
HI, newbie here!

The Akubra Capricorn was the first "proper" hat I bought (a grey one, from Everything Australian) about five years ago. I agree with all the nice things people on here have said about it; looks good, hard wearing, and comfortable. I've gone on to buy three more Akubras since then, I'm rarely seen out of doors without a hat these past few years, having come to hat wearing fairly late in life.

Back to the Capricorn; I bought this without the knowledge of my then wife, and wore it to a rugby match where we were meeting up after work one Friday. She took one look at it and said "I'm not going to be seen in public with you if you're going to wear a stupid hat like that!"

As I alluded to earlier, she's now my ex wife. I should have bought that hat years earlier...:D
:laugh::laugh::laugh::eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I'm fortunate...when my wife saw me in my first fedora she said "You're never allowed to wear baseball caps again." Once when I did put one on again (to go driving...I don't like it when the back seat hits my fedoras), she said "What's that on your head???" in a very accusing tone. :D

Peregrine

New in Town
I have to confess to having once owned a baseball cap or two. In my defence, they are good for keeping the sun out of one's eyes when watching sport. I do have a tweed trilby, and a flat cap for open topped driving, but my shining pate is mostly adorned with a fedora these days. All of them meet with the approval of the memsahib, I'm happy to report!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I have to confess to having once owned a baseball cap or two. In my defence, they are good for keeping the sun out of one's eyes when watching sport. I do have a tweed trilby, and a flat cap for open topped driving, but my shining pate is mostly adorned with a fedora these days. All of them meet with the approval of the memsahib, I'm happy to report!
:D

Peregrine

New in Town
Have just done a very bad thing and ordered more Akubra hats from Everything Australian :D

A Stylemaster in bluegrass green, and two Capricorns, both in fawn (one for me, and one as a gift). The Capricorns should be with me in a week or so, but the Stylemaster is a three month wait. Ah well, they say patience is a virtue! :)

Peregrine

New in Town
I just picked up my Capricorn from the post office.I really like it.The fit is good, and the fawn colour will make it a good work hat.Very nice hat for the money.Everything Austrailian are super.

Yep, EA are superb. It's cheaper for me to buy from them direct and have the goods flown over than to buy locally. Never did get the hang of global economics...

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I really like the way that photo looks. The hat seems perfect for you.
I really like the shorter brim on you also.

Thank you guys for the compliments. Actually I generally prefer a taller crown and wider brim than the Capricorn has, but less of a brim than the Country Club.

NivlemRulz

New in Town
I've read this thread front to back multiple times. First of all everyone looks great in the capricorn and hayman. I have been going back and forth on these two hats for a few months and I need to make a decision and order. I'm not a very big guy (5'8" 130lbs). Any advice on if I should go with the capricorn or hayman is greatly appreciated. I'm usually seen in a Fed IV deluxe or Modern Stetson Mercury nowadays. The Fed IV is definitely the biggest hat I would get (wife says its too big) lol. This is a great forum and thanks for the input ahead of time...cheers!

carldelo

One Too Many
Thank you guys for the compliments. Actually I generally prefer a taller crown and wider brim than the Capricorn has, but less of a brim than the Country Club.

The picture of you in the Country Club looks good as well. I only wear a wide brim while at the beach or kayaking, and have been thinking of getting a Country Club for that purpose. Do you think it would do well? It is important that the brim have some structure to it, so that a strong breeze doesn't continually blow the brim down over one's eyes. This is the case with my Joe Fedora which I'm retiring. My Capricorn would do fine, but the brim really needs to be wider (and the hat whiter) for boating.

PS. NivlemRulz - if you are getting a light-colored poly straw, you might consider that lighter hats often appear bigger. In your case, I would probably opt for the Hayman if getting the fawn color. My gray Capricorn seems slightly bigger than my Stetsons that have the same brim size (2-3/8"). I would probably prefer if it were a Hayman (I'm 5'8.5").

Last edited:

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
The picture of you in the Country Club looks good as well. I only wear a wide brim while at the beach or kayaking, and have been thinking of getting a Country Club for that purpose. Do you think it would do well? It is important that the brim have some structure to it, so that a strong breeze doesn't continually blow the brim down over one's eyes. This is the case with my Joe Fedora which I'm retiring. My Capricorn would do fine, but the brim really needs to be wider (and the hat whiter) for boating.

It would be very good for what you want. The brim is about as stiff (perhaps a little stiffer on mine) as the Capricorn. One of my complaints about the Capricorn is the brim is smaller than I like both in terms of style and also sun protection. I hear you on not liking floppy brims. In Hawaii we generally have constant trade wind breezes which is nice temperature wise but makes a Panama with a wide brim flop about. Also we get regular light showers which are also not kind to Panamas... So I now wear polystraw.

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
It would be very good for what you want. The brim is about as stiff (perhaps a little stiffer on mine) as the Capricorn. One of my complaints about the Capricorn is the brim is smaller than I like both in terms of style and also sun protection. I hear you on not liking floppy brims. In Hawaii we generally have constant trade wind breezes which is nice temperature wise but makes a Panama with a wide brim flop about. Also we get regular light showers which are also not kind to Panamas... So I now wear polystraw.

Thanks for the info - I think you've tipped me over the edge on ordering a Country Club - pity it's a 3-month wait. It will be nice to have a classy fedora for on-water activities. I've been using a Riverz Delta which I've managed to mostly destroy (after 6 years) and the Joe Fedora is not cutting it. The polystraws are perfect for boating, I've even worn one while swimming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko