Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Capricorn Review

NivlemRulz

New in Town
Got my Hayman in one week! I couldn't believe how fast it came. This is an awesome hat. I am looking forward to seeing how cool it is on really hot days, but in the cool mornings I can feel the breeze blow through it which is what I was hoping. I ordered a 57 which is the same size as my Fed IV. I know the Fed IV runs 1/2 size small, but Jenny suggested I leave room for this one to shrink as I sweat. I put a small amount of foam under the sweat band and it is perfect! I have very limited knowledge at this point, but Akubra is becoming a favorite brand for me :cool:

DarthBish

Familiar Face
Just recieved my Cap..
IMAG0055.jpg

VERY nice hat :)

Edward

Bartender
I'm wearing both my Capricorns again this week in Beijing, where the temperature is a steady 29+ Celsius. Ideal hat for that heat. Anyone know if the copper colour is still available anywhere? Quite fancy one of those... I'm still tempted by the green, but I really want to see one in person before I buy. Just the wrong shade and I could end up looking like some plastic paddy in mid-March... ;)

Peregrine

New in Town
The Capricorn arrived on Saturday. It looks great, but also has a quality that I hadn't counted on...the aerodynamics with the brim snapped down are perfect for open topped motoring!

Ande1964

Practically Family
Got mine the other day. Seems nice, but I had forgotten how not ready for a long oval head the Akubras tend to be. I need to dunk this thing and stretch out lengthwise.

Anj

scooter

Practically Family
The only thing I do not care for about this hat, is the "pleather" sweatband. Other than that it is a fine chapeau, indeed. I also ordered a Country Club from Everything Australian recently, and since we missed the mailman on Friday, it is sitting at the Post Office awaiting rescue on Tuesday. Saturday was my birthday, and I had really hoped to have the opportunity to model it as the "Birthday Boy".

carldelo

One Too Many
It would be very good for what you want. The brim is about as stiff (perhaps a little stiffer on mine) as the Capricorn. One of my complaints about the Capricorn is the brim is smaller than I like both in terms of style and also sun protection. I hear you on not liking floppy brims. In Hawaii we generally have constant trade wind breezes which is nice temperature wise but makes a Panama with a wide brim flop about. Also we get regular light showers which are also not kind to Panamas... So I now wear polystraw.

While getting ready to order a Country Club, I found a Rink in stock and on sale in my size so ordered it and received it about a month ago. I'm not sure why it's not called a Capricorn, it's the same hat, but in cream. The only difference is that it has no tip label. The brim binding on my cream hat is white, which doesn't bother me, but is slightly noticeable. It's a very nice lid, although I didn't care for the black ribbon or the lack of a bow. The ribbon is held in place with metal hooks that are too visible, and the ribbon is not wide enough to cover the shadow of the sweatband on the interior of the hat.

So I did some research on the lounge and put on a striped ribbon I had around the house. I had planned to put it on my gray Capricorn, but am glad I saved it for the Rink The polystraw was easy to work with, by the way. I'm very happy with the result, and was really encouraged by seeing the same ribbon on another straw done by Art. Here's the before and after:

Last edited:

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
After two years of hard wearing my Capricorn started coming apart just above the ventilated portion. The thread had worn and unraveled causing the top portion to separate. I mended it with some tan thread and although my sewing isn't the best, it is barely noticeable. It will get me through the rest of the warm weather for this year, and I will be ordering a couple new ones over the winter from Sam, for next spring.

Last edited:

celestial

Familiar Face
Good to hear, Hoyt. ;)

Edit: Does anybody know if the crown is supposed to be a little off-center? You can notice it a bit in the photo, but it's actually worse than that. I noticed that a lot of Johnny Depp's Fedoras have off-center crowns...

Last edited:

celestial

Familiar Face
Anybody else get one of these with dings on the sides or a loose fitting band? So annoying... I'd been waiting to get the grey one for ages until now.

Edit: The band just had to be rehooked (although it does still stick out more than the other one). And the dings aren't noticeable enough to stress about. It's just that thing you get when you finally get something you've been waiting for and/or spend a fair amount of money I guess... You want everything to be exact. But therein lies the problem with desire... nothing is truly perfect.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider