Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Capricorn Review

finally recieved my Grey Capricorn

IMG_3208.JPG

right on time, I received my Grey Capricorn from Hats by the Hundred. I didn't have the problems that other people have had with him, pretty responsive to email and hat arrived as scheduled (12 week delivery) and it only took 5 days via AU Post.

I really like the gray, I think it's a tad warmer than the fawn (but that makes sense) I just wish the brim binding was a little more contrasting, it's the color of the polystraw, not the puggare (sp?) I also think the brim is flatter than the fawn one, but there's not a whole lot of reshaping going on with these hats...

so that brings me up to 3 akubra poly straws... that should be enough for "This" summer

:eusa_doh: lol :eusa_doh:

PS. my daughter Sophie (9 months) just wanted to say hi to Daddy's Hat Friends

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
Great looking hat, am looking to purchase one too very soon. Has anyone by any chance ordered these from Australiangear.com? The prices seem almost too nice (no shipping?) to be true. Does anyone have any experience with this one?

Also, is it correct to understand that this hat will not stretch/shrink?

Thanks for the nice pictures everyone!

carldelo

One Too Many
Jantjeuh said:
Great looking hat, am looking to purchase one too very soon. Has anyone by any chance ordered these from Australiangear.com? The prices seem almost too nice (no shipping?) to be true. Does anyone have any experience with this one?

Also, is it correct to understand that this hat will not stretch/shrink?

Thanks for the nice pictures everyone!

Mine has neither stretched nor shrunk. The pleather sweat doesn't seem to want to shrink even after several soakings. When new the hat is really stiff and will make a bit of a crunchy sound when flexed. I flexed and massaged mine all around until the crunchiness went away. Also, when mine arrived, its ribbon had slipped out of place during shipping - I just pushed it down where it belongs and it's stayed there since. So which color did you choose?

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
carldelo said:
Mine has neither stretched nor shrunk. The pleather sweat doesn't seem to want to shrink even after several soakings. When new the hat is really stiff and will make a bit of a crunchy sound when flexed. I flexed and massaged mine all around until the crunchiness went away. Also, when mine arrived, its ribbon had slipped out of place during shipping - I just pushed it down where it belongs and it's stayed there since. So which color did you choose?
Fawn :)

Thanks for the info by the way

Edit: Hat is out of stock apparently, hopefully it won't take too long

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Akubra Capricorn size 61 fawn

IMG_8068s.JPG

IMG_8065s.JPG

This was ordered from Australian Gear. They shipped fast and I would order from them again if they'd just offer larger sizes. This is a 61 and fits snugly. After ordering it I realized that size 62 hats fit me more comfortably.

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
casechopper said:
IMG_8068s.JPG

IMG_8065s.JPG

This was ordered from Australian Gear. They shipped fast and I would order from them again if they'd just offer larger sizes. This is a 61 and fits snugly. After ordering it I realized that size 62 hats fit me more comfortably.
Weird, I ordered here too but have to wait a month for mine :-( End of this month I should have it, looking good on you by the way!

Mikey P

One of the Regulars
Just got my fawn Capricorn in from Australian Gear. I like it, but it seems like it went through a war on the way over to the States. The box was fairly well crushed, along with some of the hat. Also, the hat itself was pretty warm when I opened the box. I think maybe my dear post office left the crushed box in the sun for a while, as the hat is a little small too, but it's stretching out nice on the stretcher.

The hat has a dent in the side now. Not a huge one, but it is noticeable. And the brim is a little wonky too. Anybody have any ideas on how to get this hat back in shape? I wouldn't think steam would do much to a poly hat.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

99benzman

New in Town
OK I am happy that I saw this thread. Just yesterday I was just taking to a friend I play tennis with, who is from Australia, about a summer hat and he swears by Akubra. I saw the Capricorn and I love the versatility of this hat as a hack around hat to a summer dress. I just ordered a fawn!

And BTW all you fellas who posted photos, the hats look good on you!

Last edited:

jbucklin

Practically Family
Just got this in the mail:
downsized_0418021159.jpg

I'm quite surprised at how much like "real" straw this polypropylene is. I bet one would be hard-pressed to tell the difference if not told in advance. The brim appears a little wide on my head, which is strange since it measures at 2 3/8. I m already getting used to it though. I'm very glad I chose the fawn over the grey. All in all, it looks good and I like it. Akubra makes such a great hat! Fits well too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112