Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Capricorn Review

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Rain resistance is my main reason for going plastic. I think the only time you'd have to worry about a Capricorn changing shape would be from extreme heat.

carldelo

One Too Many
TopGumby said:
Rain resistance is my main reason for going plastic. I think the only time you'd have to worry about a Capricorn changing shape would be from extreme heat.

That's a good point - my Joe Fedora came with instruction on how to roll it, and a warning not to leave it in the rear window of a car on a sunny day. Of course, I wouldn't do that with a straw or a felt for that matter.

Goose.

Practically Family
Can't say enough about the Capricorn. Other than I wouldn't wear it near a camp fire. Thoughts of Lt. Col. William Kilgore saying "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" :eek: :eusa_doh:

Speaking of which, can you believe the folks at Hats Direct? They sent me a free (shipping included) Grey Capricorn :) Never asked for it. Just arrived in the box along with a my Tawny Fawn Fed IV that I did order.

Jenny at HD did send me a email indicating that they were including a "gift" for being a repeat customer. But I certainly didn't expect that.

The cool thing is that I had a Grey that I just gave to a young friend that admired it. Never said a word about it here or to HD. And, a few days later, a Capricorn that fits me arrives (the one I had was not ordered from HD and was a size too small...it was a 60. In denial that my head is fat. So, since I've been ordering size 61 lately, HD sent me a 61). I was so humbled by their kindness. Too cool for school.

ANYWAY, Hats Direct...I'll be a customer for life...not saying much since I have heart failure and told that, statisically, I have three to five to go....but what the hell...as I learned in Comp Sci class eons ago, "figures always lie and liars are always figuring". But, nonetheless, think my next will be that Fed IV Carbon soon to augment my tugboat fleet...gotta order to show my appreciation (trying to convince myself why I "need" another hat ;))

ANYWAY...I REALLY like the Capricorn. Can't think of anything on the downside with that lid.
Can't wait for the temp to warm up so I can wear it around da 'hood.

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Goose goes gray or Capricorn Cap'n

The gray looks grand on the Cap'n.

Great story about HD. I hope you are wearing it for a long, long time.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:
Can't say enough about the Capricorn. Other than I wouldn't wear it near a camp fire. Thoughts of Lt. Col. William Kilgore saying "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" :eek: :eusa_doh:

Speaking of which, can you believe the folks at Hats Direct? They sent me a free (shipping included) Grey Capricorn :) Never asked for it. Just arrived in the box along with a my Tawny Fawn Fed IV that I did order.

Jenny at HD did send me a email indicating that they were including a "gift" for being a repeat customer. But I certainly didn't expect that.

ANYWAY, Hats Direct...I'll be a customer for life...not saying much since I have heart failure and told that, statisically, I have three to five to go....but what the hell...as I learned in Comp Sci class eons ago, "figures always lie and liars are always figuring". But, nonetheless, think my next will be that Fed IV Carbon soon to augment my tugboat fleet...gotta order to show my appreciation (trying to convince myself why I "need" another hat ;))

ANYWAY...I REALLY like the Capricorn. Can't think of anything on the downside with that lid.
Can't wait for the temp to warm up so I can wear it around da 'hood.

Fantastic! It's the least they could do as you've, single handedly, kept the Australian hat business alive. :D Ha! J/K Goose. Hats Direct are great! Hope you wear it in good health for a long, long time. Now answer my Q on the I Love the Fed IV thread...! Please. :)

Goose.

Practically Family
Thanks Top Gumby and Chuck Bobuck :) :)

But check this out, today, I was wearing that hat and when I took it off and put on the table (topside down), I noticed that the stamp inside does not say "Capricorn" as my other.

This one says "Kayman". ????

Anyone know what that's all about? Tradmark issue perhaps...so Kayman is the old name?

532255557_7Wq2g-M.jpg
532254366_v6xAa-M-1.jpg

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Maybe the gray Capricorn used to be the Kayman? [huh]

On the other thread about Aloha shirts and fedoras, Bob C posted that his Capricorn was getting less plastic looking with time....IIRC Bob had said he was unhappy with the hat because of the plastic look.

I'm interested in hearing what you Capricorn (Kayman) owners have to say about the "plastic look" and if it diminishes, and if it does, maybe some recommendations on what speeds up the process.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I'm curious about the Kayman/Capricorn mystery also. I have the fawn Capricorn and I don't mind or really even notice the plastic look. I will try to see if there is a change in appearance over time though. I haven't worn mine much as temps haven't been too high yet. I will be wearing mine to work this Summer. I like to walk around my work complex after lunch, so I'll see how it performs as far as sun protection, ventilation, and rain repellency.

Goose.

Practically Family
Chuck Chuck Bobuck, that Cap'n Crunch looks great on you! Think you would agree that TampaHound is going to like his. Keep us posted TampaHound! We need to collectively check on these tupperware lids so we can report back on the shine and overall wear opinions for Top Gumby :)

So, got this whole Capricorn/”Kayman” gig figured out.
It’s not a Capricorn rename.
It’s not a “Kayman”.
It is a “Hayman”.

This learned via reply from an email inquiry into Hats Direct; “The hat is called the “Hayman”, which is an island off the North Queensland coast. Very tropical!”.

Learning such, I searched the FL for "Hayman". Not many hits. Look at the hats in the link referenced in the following thread…I’m telling ya, I can’t tell them apart. Even when I have my Capricorn next to the Hayman, can’t really tell. The brim diff of 6mm (0.23 inches) isn’t really noticeable. Maybe I’ll take come comparison pics to post later.

Well, whatever it’s called, I like it.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=282720#post282720

Hayman Island: http://www.goway.com/downunder/australia/qld/qld_sod_hayisl.html

http://www.hayman.com.au/resort.php?section=resort

Yeah, I think I could hang there wearing my Hayman.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Thanks Goose and good detective work. Capricorn or Hayman, it's a great looking and functional hat. Keep the photos and comments coming on this gem throughout the Summer everyone.

carldelo

One Too Many
XL Capricorn arrives

Well my gray Capricorn arrived - very happy with it. Sam at Everything Australian got in touch with Akubra and got them to make me a size 62 in gray - as far as I know, it's the first one, and I notice it is now an available size in the pull down box. I ordered it March 1st, it shipped May 1st (2 month wait, not 3) and I received it May 6th. I wore it that night with a gray suit to a fairly fancy art world charity event and got some nice comments - a couple of attractive women even tried it on --- very nice.

Initial comments - it's actually a little big on me, which I prefer. A little padding behind the sweat makes for a good fit. The sweat is pretty nice, although not as nice as the one in the acorn Stylemaster I received in the same order. The band is black-on-black pattern and is quite nice - it arrived having slid upwards a ways - once I pushed it down where it belongs it looked much better. The brim binding is well done, and the color is a close match to the gray of the hat.

In spite of being stiff, it is more flexible than my Milan straw - quite a bit cooler too. It initially was quite 'crunchy', as mentioned by others. I went around the entire hat giving it a little fingertip massage, and within a few minutes removed most of the crunch. It felt as if the heating process used to set the crown shape gave the plastic a little bit of a crust, which went away with manipulation. I've been regularly tightening the pinch, and it seems to be getting sharper, but not much. I suppose I could try heating it with a hairdryer or something, but I'd hate to mess it up.

So it's a good hat, I'm happy to have it, as I will be taking it on a trip to Seattle and expect to have rain. I'll be adding a fawn version to the collection someday.

Trebuchet64_Fal

Familiar Face
I have been wearing both the Hayman (fawn) and the Capricorn (green) for some time now as my everyday hats ,they are very comfortable hats ,well made , offer great protection from the summer sun here in australia , and the polypropelene weave is easy to clean.
They even look good enough to wear out to a function. During the cooler weather i swap to a fur felt Fedora, but if rain is likely out comes either the Hayman or Capricorn.
I would have no hesitation in recommending these hats to anyone contemplating the purchase of an everyday hat.

Trebuchet64_Fal

Familiar Face
I guess old age is creeping up on me , i forgot to mention the question of difference between the two , Hayman v Capricorn , with the two Hats sitting in front of me , the Capricorn has a wider brim than the Hayman , and the crown seems to be marginally higher , giving the Capricorn a more Mediteranian look , if you get my drift.

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Happy early Father's Day here!

Capricorn arrived. Prepared myself for the mental anguish of waiting a month until Father's Day got here. Wife decided to put a stop to any moping by giving it to me today!

First impressions:

• It doesn't look like plastic.
  • It's a shade too big. Perfect, as I expect the leather sweat to shrink.
  • The band (or is it a pug?) has gold and red stripes. I expected all brown, but I like it.
  • Yup, it's a crunchy bugger, but a little kneading and the crunch is mostly kaput.

In short, I was mildly distressed that the warm weather was going to make my fur felt Stylemaster and Resistol fish out of water, but now I feel prepared for the sun or rain with this new lid.

Tampahound

One of the Regulars
It came yesterday!

With a "I think it's another hat!" and a smile from the attractive mail (wo)man I was handed my new Fawn Capricorn! :)

I now understand the "crunchy" comments as that is the perfect description for the feeling of the hat. I enjoyed crunching it the way I did bubble wrap when I was younger!lol

IMG_0901.jpg

I like the hat more than I like the picture!

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Lots of great Capricorn pics.

Mine has the colors that I've only seen on the picture that D.W. Suratt posted. Here's a shot:

102_0295.jpg

On the noggin:

102_0299.jpg

102_0300.jpg

I've had a few positive comments on the hat from non enthusiasts, and if I tell 'em it's plastic, they are very surprised.

Goose.

Practically Family
Top Gumby! Love that pug!!!
Like my solid one too...but given a choice I'd take your's.

Have to run to the store to pick up some hot links for the grill. Earlier while out and about, I wore my Hayman. And, like TG, recevied a nice compliment.

Below are pics of the Capricorn and Hayman on my noggin.
Later on, I'll write some more including how my grey Capricorn made it back to me.

Thinking the Capricorn does better on fat mug. Since you are the few that know about lids, I'm interested in what you hat cats think...Comments?

Capricorn ...................................Hayman
539008491_5oPVU-S-1.jpg
539008430_FfNfy-S-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari