Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Capricorn Review

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
I also decided on the Capricorn after seeing this great review. I ordered from Australian Gear on the 17th. They were out of my size in fawn, but told me it would only take a few days to get one in. The hat was sent out on the 20th and I received the hat today in perfect condition. I was a little worried about the ribbon after seeing the lastest hats pictured, as the one in the review was one of my deciding factors on the purchase. I was very pleased when I opened the box, and found the ribbon was the same as the HatDoc's except a little different color :D

3387538321_86ab247305_m.jpg

Goose.

Practically Family
D.W. Suratt said:
... I was a little worried about the ribbon after seeing the lastest hats pictured, as the one in the review was one of my deciding factors on the purchase. I was very pleased when I opened the box, and found the ribbon was the same as the HatDoc's except a little different color :D
Hey D.W.S., I'm liking the pug on your Capricorn. The contrast looks GREAT and you do that hat well.

Can you get post a tighter pic of it? Would be appreciated.

Hey, did you gents with the Capricorns note that the band says "Akubra Australian Assembly" as opposed to being "Made by Akubra" or even "Made in Australia". Thinkiing it's FOB China or somewher else and Akubra slaps in a band. Tempted to take the pug off and see if there's a "Made in xxx" tag under it.

No matter...I like mine. Just curious if you got that.

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
I will try to get a better picture of it. For some reason the editing on Flickr wasn't working right, and I couldn't crop it the way I wanted.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I'm not sure if I posted this anywhere ... but I did receive my Capricorn and am mostly happy with it.

The brim binding was a lot sloppier than I might have expected, though. It's uneven; sometimes a little more ribbon on top and other times a little more underneath. And the 1/16 of ribbon to the ... outside? of the stitch ... (the tiny flap of ribbon between stitch and crown) ... is wacky. In some places that little bit is sticking up, in some places folded back over the stitch, and in other places laid down normally. This just adds to the uneven look of that binding. No worse than I'd expect from a $35 hat, but less than I've come to expect from Akubra.

My wife is happy, however. For whatever reason she likes it better than several of my other hats. I think it has to do with the slightly smaller brim. This is my first hat with less than a 2.5" and, I must confess, it looks sharp. I don't think I could ever do less than a 2.25", but between those two may be the golden range for me.

Not a bad alternative to a panama, especially for the price. :eusa_clap

Goose.

Practically Family
My Capricorn. Well, it is plastic. And not too pliable. But comfortable as heck and I like it. Plus, it's multi-faceted. All for less than $50 shipped.

So, the other day, I'm stacking some hats that aren't in my current rotation. Had the Capricorn on the bottom, and of course, crown down. I tossed my Sydney into it, then my Casual.

As I'm looking at the stack, I had a thought. My Casual tapered real bad upon drying out after a hard rain.
Have had it on a Hatllett 3", but couldn't get to the crown of the Casual. So, here ya go.

No kidding. It's working.

The Capricorn being my size works just fine as a form to shape up my Casual. Also makes a great Easter basket ;)

Casual w/ taper . .......... . ............................. Casual formed over my Capricorn for a tune up​
495796005_dEJrt-S.jpg
504789487_4SDqM-S.jpg

504789497_RdeUk-S.jpg

ValEag

One of the Regulars
Goose. said:

No kidding. It's working.

The Capricorn being my size works just fine as a form to shape up my Casual. Also makes a great Easter basket ;)

. .......... . .............................

Awesome job Goose. I was wondering how the Casual turned out.

Goose.

Practically Family
Ha Ha Ha ValEag...
Yeah, after I took the Easter basket pic of the Capricorn, I put the Casual back on the Capricorn after I heavilty sprayed it with water. But I did it backwards.

Anyway, this is a Capricorn thread...

Yesterday I received my grey Capricorn. Nice. Just in time for summer when I will be sporting my Sydney, or maybe my Bogart, on those +90F
days (as opposed to a Fed IV D). So, now I have some rotation lids for the hot weather :)

As for the stiffness of the "straw"... Having the fawn for about two months now and receiving a new grey one yesterday, I noticed that the older fawn poly-straw is defintely softer after some wear. It's never going to be a crushable hat nor something you can bash. But, all things being relative, it is softer.

Also, it exhibits less of the plastic shine. It still has some shine, but to the average Joe (Jane) on the street, it appreats "straw"

Summary...great hat, "assembled" by Akubra, comfortable as hell in the heat, and less than 50 smackeroos shipped.

501417715_RdHZT-S.jpg
507682221_kuzS4-S.jpg

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:
Ha Ha Ha ValEag...
Yeah, after I took the Easter basket pic of the Capricorn, I put the Casual back on it after I heavilty sprayed the Casual with water. But I did it backwards.

Anyway, this is a Capricorn thread...

Yesterday I received my grey Capricorn. Nice. Just in time for summer when I will be sporting my Sydney, or maybe my Bogart, on those +90F
days (as opposed to a Fed IV D). So, now I have some rotation lids for the hot weather :)

As for the stiffness of the "straw"... Having the fawn for about two months now and receiving a new grey one yesterday, I noticed that the older fawn poly-straw is defintely softer after some wear. It's never going to be a crushable hat nor something you can bash. But, all things being relative, it is softer.

Also, it exhibits less of the plastic shine. It still has some shine, but to the average Joe (Jane) on the street, it appreats "straw"

Summary...great hat, "assembled" by Akubra, comfortable as hell in the heat, and less than 50 smackeroos shipped.

I'm looking forward to wearing my fawn Capricorn when the weather warms up. It's definately a step up from the Bailey Barnett I wore last Summer. I like the look and shape and the fact that it's plasticized doesn't bother me, it will probably last longer than straw. I like the gray, looks good.

carldelo

One Too Many
Looking good

Hey there, the Grey Goose is looking sharp - it's making me look forward to receiving mine sometime in the distant future (OK, late May maybe).

yet aonther order...

well, from the positive reviews and the fact that you can't find another straw (poly or natural) for $40 shipped, I ordered the capricorn in fawn and the country club in cream. I'm concerned the country club brim may be a little too large for me (it's 1/4" wider than a campdraft) but that will offer great sun protection, which is the main point anyway. I really liked the grey capricorn, but the wife likes the brown better, so we'll go with that one. I'd like to get a Rink because I think it would be neat to have a truly white hat, but everyone says 2-3 months wait, and by that time summer will be 1/2 over. so if they work out well, that will be my order for next year ;)

thanks again for the positive reviews of this hat everyone.

Goose.

Practically Family
Thanks gents for the comments.
I really like the Capricorn. Like the fawn better. Wife likes the grey. Who cares? It was up to her, I'd be wearing Dockers and funky shirts with that little alligator logo on them.

So, I was thinking that maybe putting the wet Casual over the Capricorn three times to form dry may have made the poly of the Capricorn softer.
Dunno. Will see if the grey softens up a bit in time.

RobFedoraField, hope you like your hat as much as I like mine. Please post your thoughts and pics when it arrives :)

order from EA

Well, I received an email update from EA and my order (cream country club, fawn Capricorn) should be shipping by early next week. The sales rep was kind enough to attach a pic of the country club that he's shipping me.

the brim supposed to be 3" (1/4" larger than a campdraft) I went with the the country club as well, because I figured that if I'm out in the sun the wider brim would give more shade. Obviously I'll have to see it on me, but do you guys think it's disproportionate (brim vs crown)?

Thanks for the opinions.

countryclub.jpg

Sargon

Familiar Face
I'm going to be putting in an order for one of these soon. Can someone who owns one tell me is this a very light hat? Polyprop would seem rather heavy, I guess the finer the weave the lighter though. Hey nice avatar Rob!

Goose.

Practically Family
Sargon said:
I'm going to be putting in an order for one of these soon. Can someone who owns one tell me is this a very light hat? Polyprop would seem rather heavy, I guess the finer the weave the lighter though. Hey nice avatar Rob!
Hi Sargon...

The Capricorn weighs:

Less than my Fed IV Deluxe (Heritage)

More than my Akubra Bogart or Sydney (Imperials)

More than my Stetson Center Dent Panama

More than any of my three Brent Black Panamas (Duh!)

Having stated such, it is cooler on the noggin than either of the three felts due to it being weaved and, thus, ventilated.

duggap

Banned
the brim supposed to be 3" (1/4" larger than a campdraft) I went with the the country club as well, because I figured that if I'm out in the sun the wider brim would give more shade. Obviously I'll have to see it on me, but do you guys think it's disproportionate (brim vs crown)?

My first Panama was a three inch brim. If I had it to do over I would stay with the three inch brim for the same reasons you got yours. Hope it works for you.:p

recycled pop bottles from australia have arrive

sorry for the lousy pics, it was late last night by the time I got home and I used the camera phone.

I have to agree with the general opinion here that the capricorn is a great hat. I reallly like the Country club too, but that is just a big brim. my wife isn't too fond of it, but I like that fact I can shade the neighborhood with it if I needed to lol

img221.jpg

img219.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21