Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

...My apologies for copying your style Bob, but it just works better for me. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

This being my first time with bashing, I don't know what I expected when I started on this hat, but I found it quite malleable and easy to work with. Now I know why you fellas like shaping your own crowns. Joy...
That's the thing--you can shape your hat so it looks like hundreds of others, but doing it yourself makes it more "yours" somehow. I wonder if men felt the same way in the days when fur felt hats were far more common, or if it was just another part of every day life that they didn't give much thought to.

And I agree with those who have expressed their opinions that the hat suits you! :eusa_clap

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you look at crowd photos of the Thirties through Fifties, you generally see a few guys with carefully creased hats but the majority look pretty slack. My Grandpop used to come in the house (this was in the Fifties), grab a handful of his hat, and throw it on the couch, while his two brothers treated theirs like museum pieces.

If you look at crowd photos of the Thirties through Fifties, you generally see a few guys with carefully creased hats but the majority look pretty slack. My Grandpop used to come in the house (this was in the Fifties), grab a handful of his hat, and throw it on the couch, while his two brothers treated theirs like museum pieces.
I have noticed that, both in photos and movies from the 1930s through the 1950s--some of the hats appeared to be well cared for, but most looked as though they'd been trampled by stampeding horses just prior to being placed on the wearers' heads. None of the men in my family wore hats regularly while I was growing up so I don't have their experience to draw on, and they've all passed on so I can't ask them anyway. I'd guess it depended entirely upon the individual--those who were meticulous about their appearance extended that trait to their headwear, and those who weren't didn't.

Gordon Harlan

New in Town
Ordered my Akubra Campdraft

Still have about 2 1/2 months before it ships I reckon.
Just barely had my size, 64 (8 U.S.)
Silverbelly, classic color. All of my Stetsons are Silverbelly. I wear felt year round. Even in 110 heat here in the Texas Hill Country.
Figure I'll do my usual teardrop pinch, not sure about the brim, it's much narrower than any of my others.

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
Still have about 2 1/2 months before it ships I reckon.
Just barely had my size, 64 (8 U.S.)
Silverbelly, classic color. All of my Stetsons are Silverbelly. I wear felt year round. Even in 110 heat here in the Texas Hill Country.
Figure I'll do my usual teardrop pinch, not sure about the brim, it's much narrower than any of my others.

I think you are going to love it. I have three, it's such a versatile hat.

I am going to take the plunge and order a Fed IV, I have a Regency Fawn (a Sydney from DM) which I like a lot. Is the Tawny Fawn of the FedIV that much lighter in colour than the Regency or is it pretty close? Trying to decide on the Dark Brown or the Fawn.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I am going to take the plunge and order a Fed IV, I have a Regency Fawn (a Sydney from DM) which I like a lot. Is the Tawny Fawn of the FedIV that much lighter in colour than the Regency or is it pretty close? Trying to decide on the Dark Brown or the Fawn.

Java Dave has a dark brown and doesn't like the color :( The color "fawn" you get most likely depends on weather you get the Deluxe Fed or Imperial grade. Mine is in Moonstone. I'm on the fence also abt getting a tawny or regency fawn... Dont kno if I wanna go the xtra $$$ again to get the Deluxe. They cost less now, so it's a good time to buy.

Akubras are such a good price, even for me paying in Canadian $ they are still a steal for the quality. I am afraid that the moonstone is too light a colour and I love my Regency Fawn Sydney. I am going with the standard and not bother upgrading to the Deluxe. Reading the thread on the Forum it does not seem the extra $ gets you that much better felt.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Akubras are such a good price, even for me paying in Canadian $ they are still a steal for the quality. I am afraid that the moonstone is too light a colour and I love my Regency Fawn Sydney. I am going with the standard and not bother upgrading to the Deluxe. Reading the thread on the Forum it does not seem the extra $ gets you that much better felt.

Thats sorta where I'm heading too. If u want the Imp it's only in one color fawn as u probably kno. Just a note... I have 2 Imperial quality Camp Drafts and one Fed Deluxe. The Fed Deluxe is NOTICIBLY SOFTER and significantly smoother and less "stiff" than the Imperial quality Camp Drafts.

...Is the Tawny Fawn of the FedIV that much lighter in colour than the Regency or is it pretty close? Trying to decide on the Dark Brown or the Fawn.
I've never seen Akubra's Regency Fawn in person, but based on photos I've seen the Regency Fawn appears to be quite a bit darker than the Tawny Fawn, and more of a neutral brown. Despite the way it often photographs, their Tawny Fawn has a bit of a warm/golden hue; subtle, but noticeable. I have both a Dark Brown and a Tawny Fawn Fed IV, and the Tawny Fawn gets a lot more use.

Here is a wrinkle....I contacted Sam at EA and he advised the FedIV is the same as the Squatter. The Squatter is $30 AU cheaper than the FedIV and I like the steel grey. Now I am back to being confused!

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face
That isn't quite right. The brim is a different width and shape, the crown is not the same height, and I don't think the ribbon is the same width. Aside from both being Akubra Fedoras, they are not the same.

You'll just have to buy both. :p

That isn't quite right. The brim is a different width and shape, the crown is not the same height, and I don't think the ribbon is the same width. Aside from both being Akubra Fedoras, they are not the same.

You'll just have to buy both. :p
The Squatter also has a bound brim; the Fed IV does not. And the crown on the Squatter appears to have a slight taper while the crown on the Fed IV has little or no taper. Similar, yes, but not the same. Of course, the Fed IV isn't available in Steel Grey, so if you really like that color the Squatter is the way to go.

I think the decision is to cash in a few beer bottles and go big! A FedIV Deluxe in heritage fawn will only set me back $200 Can$ landed. I can then start saving to buy the Squatter in grey.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Here is a wrinkle....I contacted Sam at EA and he advised the FedIV is the same as the Squatter. The Squatter is $30 AU cheaper than the FedIV and I like the steel grey. Now I am back to being confused!

I had a similar discussion with Sam, but are you sure he said Squatter? The Adventurer is available in steel gray and is very similar to the Fed.

Will let you know when my Adventurer arrives...

Fed

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I truly believe the Feds are made on different blocks. Can the Adventurer be gotten in open crown? I was very tempted to get the Adventurer several months ago...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy